COLD DARK ROOM

Maro2Bear

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Just picked up a pot and this mix
View attachment 290525

That should be fine. I usually stay away from “pre-fertilized” things, but you will be good.

Let the pad scab over thoroughly. Put a few rocks in the bottom of the pot over the holes and in the bottom inch or so. Any rocks will do. This keeps any water from thoroughly saturating your soil.

After the rocks, fill 1/3 with your soil, plop the pad in, fill up with your sandy soil. I usually add a handful of rocks around the top. Adds weight, keeps rain from washing dirt out. Water once after you pot it up, then wait a good long time. Id put outside in semi sun/shade. You don’t want hot sun baking your pot until it starts to grow.

Id say give it three good weeks, then add some water. You should “in shallah” see new growth in a few weeks.

Chubbs the tegu

5 Year Member
Ma
That should be fine. I usually stay away from “pre-fertilized” things, but you will be good.

Let the pad scab over thoroughly. Put a few rocks in the bottom of the pot over the holes and in the bottom inch or so. Any rocks will do. This keeps any water from thoroughly saturating your soil.

After the rocks, fill 1/3 with your soil, plop the pad in, fill up with your sandy soil. I usually add a handful of rocks around the top. Adds weight, keeps rain from washing dirt out. Water once after you pot it up, then wait a good long time. Id put outside in semi sun/shade. You don’t want hot sun baking your pot until it starts to grow.

Id say give it three good weeks, then add some water. You should “in shallah” see new growth in a few weeks.
Awesome bro.. very helpful

jeneliza

burton michigan
Yep, I did that a few years ago. Used a good sandy mixture so the roots dont rot. I placed the pads in separate pots, gave one good water & let them alone. Just make sure any cuts are all #cabbed/dry. No open wounds. After awhile, they pushed out new growth & grew. Brought them inside during Winter, minimal water. I have one small one left, I think i needed the pots from the others. They didn't grow as prolifically as i had hoped. Theres a Store up the road that sells edible spineless opuntia for $.99 a pound. When i want some for Sully, we just buy a few.
In my area no one sells them, so I going to have to order some and try to grow it from the ones I order

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Instead of going to the store this past Thursday for tortoise food and groceries, I shopped online and had it to be delivered (today). I was able to get pretty much everything I normally get with a few exceptions and it didn't cost all that much more to do so. I paid a little extra for peace of mind. I will continue to do so each week. I still have to go to the post office to pick up my mail (I have it delivered to a post office box, not my home address), but I will do that tomorrow morning early when not too many people are out and about. The post office doesn't lock its doors when they're not open for business, so one can pick up their mail at any time.
That's great! I may try it. ( buy online pick up at the store) for certain items I buy. Like cat litter, cat food, etc. And heavy stuff I always buy. Other things like fresh produce, meat, I want to choose myself. But having the heavier items delivered to my car would help so much.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Pretty nice now that the sun is out! Warming n sunny. Bit chilly since we were in the 70s last week, now 50s.
Air is fresh.

Ps - got a fresh pineapple yesterday at Lidl - $0.99 ! Pretty cheap really.

I’ve also been using our dehydrator more these days. A pretty good investment of a few dollars. Dehydrated banana, apples, even kale & spinach.
Pineapple is my favorite dehydrated fruit. It's better then candy. Our Kroger sells dehydrated okra also. I'll have to drag out my dehydrator and try it all myself.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Yeah just figured id give it a try.. im sure ill just end up ordering small pads for feeding once this project fails lol
It won't fail. I started 2 pads at the same time in the same soil you are using. One took off pretty quickly. The other one took a year. I was about to give up on it when it suddenly sprouted. Date seeds are like that too. They take months. You can buy a few small pads for awhile though until you get a little garden established. I want to try eating them also. I watched several videos on how to prepare them for my dinner.

Chubbs the tegu

5 Year Member
Ma
It won't fail. I started 2 pads at the same time in the same soil you are using. One took off pretty quickly. The other one took a year. I was about to give up on it when it suddenly sprouted. Date seeds are like that too. They take months. You can buy a few small pads for awhile though until you get a little garden established. I want to try eating them also. I watched several videos on how to prepare them for my dinner.
Ill leave the cactus To jack lol

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Wish me luck :D
**plants a cactus pad...out comes a lily pad** haha
I think less is more with the cactus.... I broke off a few pads last year and stuck them in the ground or a pot about halfway in the dirt. Left them alone.. they all lived and have new growth this year... just don’t over water... I have faith in you;-)