COLD DARK ROOM

EllieMay

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
East Texas
Good evenooning everyone. Life is keeping me occupied here. I braved the big supermarket yesterday. I had a 15 minute queue to get in. It was all a bit stressful and they didn’t have everything I needed, so I had to brave the our town’s other big supermarket today. The second one was only a ten minute queue and a more pleasant atmosphere inside. I wouldn’t have been able to get everything just visiting that one either though. Hopefully, I can manage just using the local small shops for the next few weeks now though.

I usually do my bulky shopping online and get it delivered. I have done this ever since I had my back operations 16 years ago. It’s impossible to get delivery slots now. I understand why they’re prioritising those who are vulnerable, but I can’t help being a little frustrated that as one of their longest using regular customers I can’t even secure a slot say once a month. That sounds dreadfully selfish, doesn’t it... :(

My daily walks take me past a little pond and I have been diligently watching a nesting moorhen. The chicks hatched 12 days ago and all 8 are thriving still which I find amazing in a suburban area with cats and foxes.

Mr Mallard was sharing the plank of wood that the chicks like to stand on today. He’s a bit heavier than a chick :D

View attachment 291981
Your frustration is easily understood: Don’t feel bad!

That is an adorable picture! I was sitting in the new tortoise yard the other day and one of the wild ducks brought a whole slew of babies out of the woods to feed.. so many I couldn’t count.. they are very wild so I tried not to breath so I could watch them For a while...I didn’t have my phone to get a pic... I try to hide from it more and more often these days..

Maro2Bear

10 Year Member!
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Sooooo, probably not of use to the CDR group of over experienced tort keepers.......but, since moderators do visit us....

i saw these pieces pop up on the “internet“ and thought wow, perfect insulation around a hot bulb or CHE for folks building enclosures with plastic tubs. Seems perfect really with a few mods.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
So I got crickets in my new closed chamber, I guess from the mulch or a plant. After checking TFO I am so not letting they stay! Thanks to Lockdown 2020 I came up with a trap that I call the Coke Covid Cricket Catcher! I got Cricket Quencher from Amazon for .98 cents?. First night I caught 12 now it’s 1-3 per day and my blue Cochin chicken is living high as a hog now! I added a piece of foil in the opening so they can’t jump back out!

973D8EFD-7D43-4BE6-A8E0-2B083F4C4FA7.jpeg

Maro2Bear

10 Year Member!
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
So I got crickets in my new closed chamber, I guess from the mulch or a plant. After checking TFO I am so not letting they stay! Thanks to Lockdown 2020 I came up with a trap that I call the Coke Covid Cricket Catcher! I got Cricket Quencher from Amazon for .98 cents?. First night I caught 12 now it’s 1-3 per day and my blue Cochin chicken is living high as a hog now! I added a piece of foil in the opening so they can’t jump back out!

Whats wrong with a few crickets?

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Good

its storming here again.. I went out in the rain to check on Pickles yard. I have redone it once already and it has grass but it’s still in the baby stage.. as soon as I stepped into the yard, Pickles lumbered out of the box to come play in the rain.. anyway, I put up some rain blocks to divert the flow and I think it will be ok...hope it will anyway
That brought up such a cute picture in my mind. Saphire will sometimes go ahead and do rain. I'm always surprised when I check on him and he's just sitting there enjoying a rain shower. It's funny that Pickles came out to greet you though. Maybe s/he's saying phewww right now.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I am confusion
You will fit in fine here then!

Hello and welcome to the CDR. I’m Linda and I live in Kent in South East England.

We’re an international bunch of idiots /friends here who sometimes talk tortoise and fairly regularly talk puns and nonsense.

Pull up an armadillo and the one-legged pirate will be along shortly to bring you your beverage of choice. The big armadillo is called Montgomery and is a very obliging coffee table, especially if you dust him or tickle him under the chin.

It’s rather gloomy in here, but the flying jellyfish glow a little brighter when you polish them. The blueberry ones seem to be glowing brightest at the moment.

Watch your step; it’s easy to stub your toe on the hedgehogs in the gloom. The wool spider, if she exists, seems to be in a better mood since we locked the leprechaun in a jellyfish tank. The snow leopard is very friendly and eats carrots :)