COLD DARK ROOM

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Good morning/afternoon all.
Warmer and drier here today but there's still some light showers expected.
I have a slot booked at a tip tomorrow where they take paper, tetra packs, hard plastics and sheet glass so I'm busy loading the car up with as much as possible. My nearest tip doesn't take any of the above so I'm having to go further afield.
Also having my second covid jab tomorrow morning and meeting up with my twin sisters, so I'm going to be out and about most of the day.
Anyway back to today's jobs and I hope you're all having a good Weds.
TTFN
What similar lives we lead.

I have just booked a slot at our local tip. Having recently emptied son’s room and replaced his bed with an IKEA double there’s A LOT of card amongst other things. However, there will be more as we have a laminate floor to rip up in our spare room, so the tip has been booked for the weekend after next.

And JoesDad and I have our second covid jabs tomorrow too. The appointments are at 6.10pm so we have decided to reward ourselves with pizza on our way home. We will be walking there and back right past the front of Pizza Express.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Anything on how to lay vinyl flooring (rolled)?
How do ya cut around the toilet
(Besides an exacto knife??)
There's a tool that is flat with little pins all the way across it. They come in different lengths and you press the pins against the object you are going to cut around. It makes a perfect pattern for your cut. I can't remember the name but maybe one of the guys on here knows what I'm talking about. It saved my life when I layed tiles in our kitchen and utility room. Sadly you still have to do a bit of measuring.?

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
In the UK, fixtures and fittings include fitted kitchen appliances and must be left behind. So if a washing machine, dryer, fridge or cooker are builtin then they have to stay. If they’re not builtin then the vendor has the option of not including them in the sale.

Fixtures and fittings also include things like curtain rails and wired in light fittings.

When we bought this house the people who moved out were a nightmare. They took all but one of the curtain rails, left us with no lights in the dining room and no wall lights in the lounge (just wires poking out the wall) and even took the flap off the back of the letter box in the front door. They did leave all the kitchen appliances though. The irony is that they were moving to a property valued then (20 years ago) at just over £1million… nearly five times what they sold this house for! They weren’t short of money.
Maybe they were after buying a house at that price. Can you imagine the neighbors when the new neighbors possibly have a yard sale ?

Maro2Bear

10 Year Member!
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
PS - new HarborFreight oscillating tool came in handy again today. We cut a metal bolt in half so we could fasten brandy new door pulls on the door between kitchen & formal dining room. The old pull knobs were gaudy golden. The new tool, cut the bolt where we needed it. Door pulls now look stylish, match the kitchen pulls.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
What similar lives we lead.

I have just booked a slot at our local tip. Having recently emptied son’s room and replaced his bed with an IKEA double there’s A LOT of card amongst other things. However, there will be more as we have a laminate floor to rip up in our spare room, so the tip has been booked for the weekend after next.

And JoesDad and I have our second covid jabs tomorrow too. The appointments are at 6.10pm so we have decided to reward ourselves with pizza on our way home. We will be walking there and back right past the front of Pizza Express.
Great minds think alike in the CDR!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
There's a tool that is flat with little pins all the way across it. They come in different lengths and you press the pins against the object you are going to cut around. It makes a perfect pattern for your cut. I can't remember the name but maybe one of the guys on here knows what I'm talking about. It saved my life when I layed tiles in our kitchen and utility room. Sadly you still have to do a bit of measuring.?
I have one of those but can't remember what it's called either. I don't think I've ever used mine but it seemed like a 'must have' tool at the time.....as did most of the things in my shed!!!:rolleyes:

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Just looked it up - it's called a contour or profile duplicator gauge.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I have one of those but can't remember what it's called either. I don't think I've ever used mine but it seemed like a 'must have' tool at the time.....as did most of the things in my shed!!!:rolleyes:
I bought mine at a thrift shop for a dollar still in the package. I just thought it was a neat looking tool and had no idea what it was for.? I got in a bind later when I was doing the tile in the kitchen around the doorways and stuff and finally figured out what it could do. I even have the tool that opens a manhole cover that I found for a quarter. When my son saw it he bout died laughing ? but hay it came in handy to hold up Sapphire's umbrella in the umbrella stand.☺️

Jan A

Boulder, CO
It’s called Twitter. ????

#CDR-BadGuys

I bought mine at a thrift shop for a dollar still in the package. I just thought it was a neat looking tool and had no idea what it was for.? I got in a bind later when I was doing the tile in the kitchen around the doorways and stuff and finally figured out what it could do. I even have the tool that opens a manhole cover that I found for a quarter. When my son saw it he bout died laughing ? but hay it came in handy to hold up Sapphire's umbrella in the umbrella stand.☺️
You never know when you're going to need to pry up a manhole cover. I'm always reaching for that tool and going, "Dang, where did I put that tool!!"

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
You never know when you're going to need to pry up a manhole cover. I'm always reaching for that tool and going, "Dang, where did I put that tool!!"
Well... I know where mine is.? but I'll have to borrow it from Sapphire.? I didn't know what that one was either but it looked like a handy tool for a quarter. How's a girl supposed to resist?

Maro2Bear

10 Year Member!
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA

Yep, lots of gadgets out there.

Here’s the one you probably saw.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YB599F1/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
@Turtulas-Len also has a simple Opuntia feeding stick. Hey Len, can you post a few pix of your method for Sir Walker?
Sure I can. I use them for all my sulcatas. This is Galloper who has been here a short time and figured it out immediately after setting it up. Picture 016.jpgAnd Donald who has used one since moving him outside last year.Picture 006.jpgPicture 001.jpgIt's just a clay pot upside down with a sturdy rod through the hole on the pot bottom driven into the ground. Donald's is 1/2 copper pipe and Gallopers is a square metal rod from a coffee table.

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
You would definitely want to remove the toilet and cut a hole just to expose the toilet flange. A standard razor knife will do just fine. If you are using vinyl plank type flooring use a sharp razor knife, score it and then bend at the score. Always make your score on the finished side of the flooring.

Thank you sooooo much Ray!
I will do just as you said.
Looking to start this job this weekend! ?
It’s a small bathroom but it always turns out what you think will only take 10 mins to do ends up being a two day job!
Looks so easy but .... never is. ?

Jan A

Boulder, CO
Thank you sooooo much Ray!
I will do just as you said.
Looking to start this job this weekend! ?
It’s a small bathroom but it always turns out what you think will only take 10 mins to do ends up being a two day job!
Looks so easy but .... never is. ?
I'm finding the older you get, the longer it takes no matter what it is, even hard-boiled eggs....

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
In the UK, fixtures and fittings include fitted kitchen appliances and must be left behind. So if a washing machine, dryer, fridge or cooker are builtin then they have to stay. If they’re not builtin then the vendor has the option of not including them in the sale.

Fixtures and fittings also include things like curtain rails and wired in light fittings.

When we bought this house the people who moved out were a nightmare. They took all but one of the curtain rails, left us with no lights in the dining room and no wall lights in the lounge (just wires poking out the wall) and even took the flap off the back of the letter box in the front door. They did leave all the kitchen appliances though. The irony is that they were moving to a property valued then (20 years ago) at just over £1million… nearly five times what they sold this house for! They weren’t short of money.

Ooooh..... Thays just like the grinch cartoon!
He left nothing on the walls and even stole the fire!!!!
Did they even take the crumb of cheese that was left for the mouse??
..... horrible.... just horrible.

Attachments

• AD89C8A3-B7B1-4332-95D0-0E5F3A5AEAB1.png
    AD89C8A3-B7B1-4332-95D0-0E5F3A5AEAB1.png
    69.7 KB · Views: 1

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
BUT, if you dont want to hassle with toilet removal.....this video here shows how you cut around things like toilets.

THANK YOUUUUU!!!!
I will watch this and see if it would be easier to do (in my case) .
But I figured if I removed the toilet..
Would there be an unusual bulge underneath (when I put it back in place)?
Or would it rock back and forth?
Oh...well.... I guess we will find out Saturday....?

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
Good morning/afternoon all.
Warmer and drier here today but there's still some light showers expected.
I have a slot booked at a tip tomorrow where they take paper, tetra packs, hard plastics and sheet glass so I'm busy loading the car up with as much as possible. My nearest tip doesn't take any of the above so I'm having to go further afield.
Also having my second covid jab tomorrow morning and meeting up with my twin sisters, so I'm going to be out and about most of the day.
Anyway back to today's jobs and I hope you're all having a good Weds.
TTFN

Sisters???
Plural?...
Are you a triplet?!?
How marvelous!!!!!
I hope you played tricks on people.?