COLD DARK ROOM

Len B

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Mark, Maro2Bear, Today I spotted a bloom starting to emerge from a banana plant. It was about 10 feet off the ground and no way to reach it to remove the bloom head after it had a couple rows of small bananas. So I cut it off about 6 feet from the ground to see if it would grow new leaves. The center core was kinda woody, didn't look normal so in a few days should be able to tell whether it will grow back or not It's hard to see but it's at the base of the tallest leaf.Picture 019.jpgIt sorta looks like an ear of corn at this stagePicture 020.jpgIt was going to die anyway so no big sacrifice if it doesn't grow back. But we will know that there is no saving them after they start going into bloom if it don't.

Jan A

Boulder, CO
I take mine always

I take mine always

Is that to encourage people to have the vaccine?
From Twitter, another rescued Box Turtle

View attachment 326048

Yes ? I've never watched so much TV in my whole life until lately. So all those 80's and 90's movies are brand new to me. Even most after 2000. They even ask me now when I go to the doctor if I can concentrate on TV and it's like "? what do I answer to this?" It's supposedly a test for mental health. I liked Beetlejuice? so what do you think?

Two more brand new baby American Robin pix. Just born today. You can see the egg shell.

View attachment 326088
Sorry, Joe'sMum was way too busy today to drop in from across the pond to do the feeding today. You'll have to do it on your own, Maro2Bear. Lovely pictures though.

Joe'sMum, you rock!! Rest up, please!!

Jan A

Boulder, CO
Sorry, Joe'sMum was way too busy today to drop in from across the pond to do the feeding today. You'll have to do it on your own, Maro2Bear. Lovely pictures though.

Joe'sMum, you rock!! Rest up, please!!
I'm obviously having problems with my phone, ads & being stupid. I was only commenting on Maro2Bear's robin hatchings.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Blimey that sounds like a manic shift at the the rescue with all those open beaks wanting to be filled!
Are you short of volunteers?

I hope you have a good trip to your Mum's and she'll be looking forward to seeing you too.
You should have some good weather to get out about about.
We are a bit short of volunteers. A number of our older bird feeders haven’t returned post-covid and it takes time to train people up. It’s a lot better than it was and some of the new volunteers are really good.

The rush has only just begun. Last year we had over 100 ti-ts alone at the peak; we had about 30 yesterday.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Good morning all, the weather is quite a pleasant so far - cloudy but dry and a nice breeze. I think tomorrow is when the sun hits us properly with temps in lower 20Cs for a few days.
Lola did pop his head out but it's obviously not warm enough for him yet so he went back to bed.
Last night it was gone 11.30 when he finally went to bed and settled so he must be pretty tired.
Typical teenager - up all night then sleeping all morning! ?
Have a good Saturday - TTFN

Maro2Bear

10 Year Member!
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Mark, Maro2Bear, Today I spotted a bloom starting to emerge from a banana plant. It was about 10 feet off the ground and no way to reach it to remove the bloom head after it had a couple rows of small bananas. So I cut it off about 6 feet from the ground to see if it would grow new leaves. The center core was kinda woody, didn't look normal so in a few days should be able to tell whether it will grow back or not It's hard to see but it's at the base of the tallest leaf.View attachment 326101It sorta looks like an ear of corn at this stageView attachment 326102It was going to die anyway so no big sacrifice if it doesn't grow back. But we will know that there is no saving them after they start going into bloom if it don't.

Thanks Len - mine put out the fruiting stem very early this year. It must have just been too late & got too cold last year, so it waited til Spring’s warmth.

I like watching the flower head & fruit develop so no plans here to cut it off. I’ll be watching for updates from you.

ps - Enjoy your Memorial Day weekend. Cold & wet here.

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Cold, raining & very wet here in Maryland this morning. I think it’s going to be like this all weekend long. ?‍♂️

Here’s a very short video of the newly hatched robins.

I have often wondered about the phrase "Robin's egg blue " as our robins eggs are not blue - now at last I understand ! Thank you for the information -they are a lovely colour.
Angie

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Good morning all! Cinder and I are having coffee this morning.. we are residing In the camper this weekend in Sarepta Louisiana at the MuddyBottoms ATV park... and it definitely is MUDDY!!! It’s been a long time since my family has been and it’s one of our favorites... good dirty family fun ?

Warren

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Balto. MD
This a group of spine-less that hardly ever goes to bloom.View attachment 326094
I wish mine were spineless, I try to feed Sammy Cactus before they have hard thorns on them, the soft thorns are easier to get off. But I always seem to end up with little thorns in my hands. Some say it's ok to allow your Tortoise to eat some because they eat them in the wild, I can't stand to have them in my hands. Couldn't imagine having them in my mouth.

Attachments

• 20210523_085641.jpg
    20210523_085641.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 5

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I wish mine were spineless, I try to feed Sammy Cactus before they have hard thorns on them, the soft thorns are easier to get off. But I always seem to end up with little thorns in my hands. Some say it's ok to allow your Tortoise to eat some because they eat them in the wild, I can't stand to have them in my hands. Couldn't imagine having them in my mouth.
Nice Plant, Instead of fingers i use these Picture 025.jpgFor me the older all metal ones like these work best.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Big Anniversary day today - 29 May 2014 - I joined up here on TFO!

Seven years of tort talk & everything else!

A couple of months before me when I brought Lola home for a week!
What a long week that turned out to be - Lola has now ruled the roost for 7 years.:)
Happy anniversary!