COLD DARK ROOM

Lyn W

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
Yes tomorrow if we get snow. The weather man is promising we will but it looks like the heavy snow will once again head your way. All from the same storm. They're even promising we'll have to get out a shovel ? whatever. I don't usually even pay to have that done because it's easier to walk on snow then a skating rink sidewalk.
Our temps seem to be on the way up again - still low but above freezing so we should be frost free for most of next week. Maybe some of the US snow will eventually make it across to us - we certainly can't rule it out yet. The last big snowfall we had a few years ago was in March.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Our temps seem to be on the way up again - still low but above freezing so we should be frost free for most of next week. Maybe some of the US snow will eventually make it across to us - we certainly can't rule it out yet. The last big snowfall we had a few years ago was in March.
Hopefully not because by then it'll have picked up a lot of water from the pond that separates us.?

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
i'm sure i can get you sorted out,i have enough already made to supply a small army,PM me and i will get back to you this weekend my little buddy Hermie is getting a new outdoor enclosure,i just spent a small fortune yesterday at Lowe's,i'll take pics as it all comes together and post it if anyone is interested in seeing it getting built or do the members on this forum just like finished pics,as far as your shooter just PM me when you want or have time ? :)
I WANT ALLLL THE DETAILS OF YOUR PROJECT “build Hermie a home”!!!!!
Please?… ?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Good morning/afternoon all.
No change in the weather today.
My sister from Leicestershire is popping in today for a quick visit this afternoon so it will be good to see her again. We'll probably have lunch somewhere but that all depends on the time she arrives (whatever ETA they give you can usually add at least another 2 hours!!?)
Anyway hope you are all having a lovely Sunday.
TTFN

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
My telephone answering maching message says, "No, I don't want to extend my 20 year old car's warranty. No I'm not interested in a Medicare Advantage Plan. No, I don't want to contribute to the police or sheriff whatever charity, and no, I no longer do turtle and tortoise rescue."

Usually the robo callers disconnect after the second or third 'no.' Lately I've been getting at least 4 calls a day from Nielsen. I looked them up on Google and it is a genuine company, but you'd think after getting my message on every one of their calls they'd quit calling me. Last night I looked over at the phone as it rang and I saw it was another Nielsen call. After my portion of the message, when it came time for them to leave a message, they blew the air horn through the phone! Made me laugh.

Just now I looked them up on Google again and learned that I can contact them to be removed from their list, so that's what I did.

The land line phone that I use only has about 10 spaces for blocked calls, and it's full.

very annoying all of these robo calls! We get a few a day from the same orgs wanting to buy or home, purchase car warranty or other crapola. All annoying. If we DO answer, we just pick up, never saying a word….they then hang up.

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
A couple of months ago, I quit my home phone landline service. I had been keeping it for two reasons,
First and foremost was" just in case" we had an substantial earthquake I live adjacent to the Hayward Fault in the SF Bay Area and if cell service went down, hoping that the landline might still be working,
and second was to call my cell phone when I had left it in the house, or yard and could not locate it, But I have since found a way to locate it through the web...
Fortunately I had signed up on the "Do not call" service and it substanclially reduced the robo calls, but I NEVER answer, letting the Answering machine screen the calls.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
The last phone number I have to reach Adam is not in service. It goes nowhere.
I've contacted John in Scotland to see if he has a newer/different one. But he hasn't responded yet.
I'll send him a card or a letter to his Fez address also

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
The last phone number I have to reach Adam is not in service. It goes nowhere.
I've contacted John in Scotland to see if he has a newer/different one. But he hasn't responded yet.
I'll send him a card or a letter to his Fez address also
Thanks for update Ed, I hope all is well with him.
I don't think I ever had an email address for him but will check just in case.
We haven't heard from John lately either but I think Linda @JoesMum was in touch with him a while back. Maybe if she sees she's been tagged she'll let you know.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Thanks for update Ed, I hope all is well with him.
I don't think I ever had an email address for him but will check just in case.
We haven't heard from John lately either but I think Linda @JoesMum was in touch with him a while back. Maybe if she sees she's been tagged she'll let you know.
John pops in and out of FACEBOOK.
I've shot him a message.
I could call him. But I honestly can't understand a single word of what he says. It's too funny.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
John pops in and out of FACEBOOK.
I've shot him a message.
I could call him. But I honestly can't understand a single word of what he says. It's too funny.
Some Scottish accents and dialects can be hard to understand especially if spoken quickly. Having said that I do like listening to the Scots talking.

TheLastGreen

Johannesburg
Some Scottish accents and dialects can be hard to understand especially if spoken quickly. Having said that I do like listening to the Scots talking.
Some Afrikaans people speak so quick, that I can't understand them. (It's my native language)
In the Western Cape, you have Kaapse Afrikaans, a type of Afrikaans spoken by the coloured people. (It sounds closer to Dutch than Afrikaans, but is almost an older Afrikaans mixed with English)
When we first arrived in George, a guy spoke to us (he had to make sure no one was using drugs in the bathroom), he stood infront of the door, making sure only a few people went in at a time.
He saw we were twins and spoke so quick, we just had to smile and say "Ja" and nod???

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Good morning all, its a chilly bright sunny day here with some frost earlier.
I hope the weather hasn't been too bad for Mark and others expecting snow.

I had a lovely day yesterday getting together with my sister and some of my nephews and nieces. We had a little walk and I was treated to another meal for my birthday by my nephew. I also had a few more very nice pressies including a snake/mother-in-law's tongue plant with a lovely little tortoise that hangs on the edge of the pot.
Since I've had Lola, tortoises usually feature in gifts and I have quite a collection now from ornaments to planters, boot wipers and even pencil erasers!
I don't have anything exciting planned for today, but I must go shopping for Lola's supplies so I'll see you later.
Happy Monday!!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Some Afrikaans people speak so quick, that I can't understand them. (It's my native language)
In the Western Cape, you have Kaapse Afrikaans, a type of Afrikaans spoken by the coloured people. (It sounds closer to Dutch than Afrikaans, but is almost an older Afrikaans mixed with English)
When we first arrived in George, a guy spoke to us (he had to make sure no one was using drugs in the bathroom), he stood infront of the door, making sure only a few people went in at a time.
He saw we were twins and spoke so quick, we just had to smile and say "Ja" and nod???
I sometimes do that and you just have to hope you're not saying yes when you should be saying no and vice versa!!?
When we first met my brother in law who was from Lancashire in the North of England none of us in Wales could understand him and we needed my sister to translate, even though English is our main language. When she started teaching in Lancashire she had to change the way she pronounced a lot of words because they couldn't understand her.
It would be very boring if we all spoke the same though - all part of life's rich tapestry!

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Temps warming, gray, lots of frozen snow, slush & ice, but not tooo bad as far as storms or snow amounts. We still had snow laying about since our last storm. My solar panels were just about snow free & now covered up. Anyhow, no where to go - wifey will push some snow/ice/slush about later when it warms up. I’m still on the inactive list.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member

Yep…ive been in this situation a lot. When I first moved to a Gamekeepers Cottage out in the middle of “no where” North Yorkshire the local sheep farmer pulled up in his little Land Rover complete with his Border Collie, wax jacket &, flat cap & wellies. Then he started to tell me a whole bunch of something about the cottage, his dog, the area…..when he finished. I nodded. He drove off down the lane. To this day, I have no idea what he said or what I promised him! ?