Status
Not open for further replies.

TestudoGeek

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Lisbon, Portugal
Ok,
Got an email from the breeder I bought my THH from 8 months ago saying he's got more THH, about the same age as mine (around 10 months old).

I'm having a hard time resisting a second, but do know the space requirement this implies since they should not be housed together when fully grown (I live in an apartment)...

So I guess I have a couple of questions: should they be separated only when sexually matured? When will this be? 6 or 7 years old?

Can I be sure of the sex of my tort at this age? I'm guessing male, but will try to post a belly shot for your opinions.

Check them out:

1551209599808.jpg

1551209599858.jpg

1551209599978.jpg

1551209675584.jpg

1551209675591.jpg

1551209675611.jpg

1551209675618.jpg

1551209675761.jpg

1551209600001.jpg

1551209599819.jpg

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
Wow I sooo envy you! Some day I will get my THH group going! On another note I have another adult female THB coming from Chris Leone this next week. i cant wait. That makes 3 adult females for me, Im so tickled!

TestudoGeek

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Lisbon, Portugal
so I guess you think I should go for another ;)

do you house your adults together when indoors?

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
TestudoGeek said:
so I guess you think I should go for another ;)

do you house your adults together when indoors?

Of course you should go for another Tiago! lol You can never have just ONE!

My males are housed separately indoors and the females were housed together once each one came out of quarantine. My largest male had to be cut off from the others outdoors the other day. He wouldnt leave my younger two males alone. lol So I took the wire top to one of the bunny cages and put it over him so he could at least still graze. He went back and forth from grazing to trying to get through the wire when he saw one of the other torts. lol

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
You should go for it Tiago,

They are soooo cuteeeeeee!!!!! I wish I could have a couple of them. Where I live it took me a lot of time to find a Hermann tortoise. It would make your tortoise a friend :)

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
can't answer your questions, but you should go for it! i want another little hermman's for dasani (i don't remember if shes thh or thb! LOL!) hermann's really do rock!

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
Ozric, Housing adults together usually doesn't pose many problems. If you end up with 2 females there really is no reason why they cannot be kept together. My males are all kept together and usually never fight unless a female is present or near. Luckily THH as apposed to THB are smaller tortoises and more manageable. In the heart of summer all my adults and both sexes of each species are kept together, going on 15 years of keeping turtles and tortoises this way and still no problems. Some males of course can get a bit ridiculous at times.:)
-Chris

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
Kelly, little Desani is an Eastern Hermanns (THB)

TestudoGeek

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Lisbon, Portugal
well I might just have to resist these guys...
they look like french (corse) THH which tend to get a little bigger, the french tell me.
If I had a yard, or even a balcony, I'd probably buy 1 or 2, but in my circumstances, It'd be selfish to keep these animals confined to such a small place, I guess.

Rosiee

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
just so i no wat do u lot mean by THH and THB?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Rosiee said:
just so i no wat do u lot mean by THH and THB?

The Hermann's tortoise ( Testudo hermanni) comes in two subspecies the western one called Testudo hermanni hermanni or simply THH and then the eastern called Testudo hermanni boettgeri or simply THB

Granolagal

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
Ohhhhh, how amazing they are!! I don't think it would be possible to find a Thh in Ontario. I had loads of searching and an 8 hour drive to find the baby Thb that I have. If you knew for sure that it was a female that you are purchasing, would it not be safe to house it with your other fella indefinitely? How big is the enclosure that you keep your guy in? I would have an immense amount of difficulty not scooping up one of those beauties, but your obvious consideration for the animals is admirable :)

Granolagal

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
The enclosure is 70CM X 40CM and looks like this: http://tortoiseforum.org/new-setup-good-read-for-beginners-t-661.html

my THH in now 8cm long, at 102g
[/quote]

That looks great! Very cleverly done :) Do you have the space for something bigger in the future? I am guessing that you are limited by your apartment. I was considering starting a hunt for a little female myself, but was concerned about the dimensions of the tort table that I built. It is bigger; 6ft x4ft. I am still unsure if that is big enough for more than one eastern???
I am sure that whatever you choose to do, you will make it the right choice. Cheers, and best of luck if you haven't completely decided :)

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Hi Ed,
Unless you have an impost license and the people in Spain have export paperwork and a license, they can't be sent out of Europe.
You'll have to find a breeder in the states if you want Western Hermanns. :D

Danny

Status
Not open for further replies.