Daisy Has A Cold

MaNaAk

Location (City and/or State)
Southend
Good morning everyone,

I was just wondering how you would treat a Greek Tortoise with a cold. Daisy won't be hibernating and her enclosure is at 28 degrees with a heat bar.

MaNaAk

zovick

10 Year Member!
What are temperatures in Celsius @wellington?

MaNaAk
86F equals 30C. You should keep the tortoise at 30-31C in the daytime and not lower than 25-26C for night time.

Yes, you should still soak the tortoise for about 15-20 minutes daily in lukewarm water or it will become dehydrated.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Can I still soak her?

MaNaAk
Yes, and in addition to the ambient temps that Zovick listed, she also needs a basking area under an incandescent flood bulb that gets around 36-37C all day long.

MaNaAk

Southend
Thankyou everyone I realise before leaving the house this lunchtime I checked the thermostat and it was at 30 degrees Celsius! That would explain why after soaking Daisy really tucked into her Romaine Lettuce! I did put her outside for about twenty minutes to help clear her sinuses. We are about 18 degrees Celsius here should I not do this? I shall alter her night time temperature to those that @wellington suggested and she does have a basking area. I left her in the water tray in the basking area.

MaNaAk

zovick

10 Year Member!
Thankyou everyone I realise before leaving the house this lunchtime I checked the thermostat and it was at 30 degrees Celsius! That would explain why after soaking Daisy really tucked into her Romaine Lettuce! I did put her outside for about twenty minutes to help clear her sinuses. We are about 18 degrees Celsius here should I not do this? I shall alter her night time temperature to those that @wellington suggested and she does have a basking area. I left her in the water tray in the basking area.

MaNaAk
Putting the tortoise out into 18C weather is not a good idea. After being in 30 degree plus surroundings, going out and into 18 degrees is a shock to the tortoise's system. The cold the tortoise has will likely get worse rather than better if you continue doing this.

MaNaAk

Southend
Putting the tortoise out into 18C weather is not a good idea. After being in 30 degree plus surroundings, going out and into 18 degrees is a shock to the tortoise's system. The cold the tortoise has will likely get worse rather than better if you continue doing this.
Okay @zovick. Thankyou so much for this!

MaNaAk

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
86F equals 30C. You should keep the tortoise at 30-31C in the daytime and not lower than 25-26C for night time.

Yes, you should still soak the tortoise for about 15-20 minutes daily in lukewarm water or it will become dehydrated.
Reread above and then realize 18C is too cold. You need to keep her warm day and night, warmer then what a tortoise that isn't sick needs.

MaNaAk

Southend
That's okay @wellington I found it on my thermostat! 😂😂

MaNaAk
Just want to let you all know that I just returned home to find that Daisy may not have moved very much but she has been busy. She has been munching most of the dandelions in her food bowl although she was in the cool end of the enclosure! She may have a cold but I am pleased to see this.

MaNaAk

MaNaAk

Southend
Good evening everyone.

I looked up flushing a tortoises's nose on the internet and I am wary of doing this but my question this evening is when I soak how deep should the water be? Should it be up only as far as her mouth?

Thankyou very much

MaNaAk

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Good evening everyone.

I looked up flushing a tortoises's nose on the internet and I am wary of doing this but my question this evening is when I soak how deep should the water be? Should it be up only as far as her mouth?

Thankyou very much

MaNaAk
Hello again - I think the general rule is water up to the join of her top and bottom shell - there may be special rules for certain circumstances though - maybe someone else will reply.
Angie x

MaNaAk

Southend
Hello again - I think the general rule is water up to the join of her top and bottom shell - there may be special rules for certain circumstances though - maybe someone else will reply.
Angie x
Okay Angie so I've been doing it correctly.

MaNaAk

MaNaAk

Southend
Good afternoon everyone.

Just finished soaking Daisy and she has taken a nibble from the dandelions. She is directly under the UV lamp with the food bowl slightly in the cool section of the enclosure. I am going to buy another food bowl so that she has bowls in both ends.

MaNaAk

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
While you think she is sick, there should be no cool side. The whole enclosure should be 85. I would keep it no lower then 80 or even 85 at night too until she is 100% better for a week and then the temps can be lowered to normal range.

Avuwyy

Liverpool, Merseyside
I don’t know too much about flushing a tortoise’s nose, so I wont say whether or not that is the right call or not. However, if there is fluid seeping from the nose, gently wipe it away. Any fluid buildup inside of the nose will be washed away when the tortoise drinks, which they hopefully do during their soaks.

MaNaAk

Southend
While you think she is sick, there should be no cool side. The whole enclosure should be 85. I would keep it no lower then 80 or even 85 at night too until she is 100% better for a week and then the temps can be lowered to normal range.
Thankyou @wellington.

Of course I am switching on my own central heating now so I will raise the temperature of the UV lamp. @Avuwyy I haven't so much discharge so I am assuming that Daisy is mainly blocked up. I am soaking her in the way that @zolasmum suggests.

MaNaAk