Daisy Has A Cold

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Dear Natrah - I'm glad Daisy has eaten a bit -I hope she is good when you give her the medicine.
Zola is being horrible to me this afternoon - this morning we went out in the car, and he sat on my lap, and was fine,but this afternoon I went in to his conservatory to sit with him, and found him on his back under a chair. I got him out,and made a fuss of him, and left him to eat. then, when I went back later,he was rushing around and scrabbling all over the place - I sat down with him and he started attacking my shoes, and grabbing and biting at my feet. I tried to calm him, but he was really frantic, and I had to leave him by himself. With luck, he will be calm again to sit on my lap to watch the tv later. He has these moods occasionally, and they upset me, as I feel I ought to be able to calm him down.I don't suppose Jacky or Daisy have ever behaved like that !
Angie x

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lancaster
Dear @TammyJ,

Yesterday Daisy ate dandelions and lettuce. Today she hasn't touched her food so far but during soaking she was moving about which I think is good. I hope I'm doing the right thing by still soaking her. She has just yawned she has had a remarkable life and both she and Jacky have been there when some humans haven't.

MaNaAk
Wonderful that Daisy keeps eating a bit ☺️. Are you seeing any 💩 It may mean that you are successful at keeping her from hibernating while she needs to recuperate. Sapphire is a bit slower right now too as usual. About mid December he starts waking up though. Regular care keeps Sapphire awake until then also. And I'm trying everyday to get a Holiday picture 😂 poor little guy. No wonder he calls me mommy dearest 😂

❤️Cathie

MaNaAk

Southend
Good evening everyone.

I accidentally turned off Daisy's heat lamp last night and I just hope that I haven't made things too much worse for her. She has had her antibiotic and eaten a bit of mushroom, dandelions and lettuce. I will give her a soak like Sapphire's mum I'm trying my best but Daisy also has the central heating.

MaNaAk

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Good evening everyone.

I accidentally turned off Daisy's heat lamp last night and I just hope that I haven't made things too much worse for her. She has had her antibiotic and eaten a bit of mushroom, dandelions and lettuce. I will give her a soak like Sapphire's mum I'm trying my best but Daisy also has the central heating.

MaNaAk
You have a lot of things to think about, and I should think that Daisy would have stayed reasonably warm with the central heating on, especially if she has managed to eat a bit. Zola sends her a special long-range hug, and says how much he is impressed by how hard she is trying to get well.
Love from Zola and Angie to Natrah, Daisy and Jacky, and Sapphire and Ernie too.
I hope you sleep well - it is very windy here, and the noise makes a lot of wind in the chimney of the room where I sleep, and my mum had a noisy mouse in the loft above her head last night, so we could do with a peaceful night too.
Zola xxx

MaNaAk

Southend
Dear @zovick,

I was looking at Daisy's notes before going to bed (something that I shouldn't do) and she was diagnosed with Mycobacterial infection and the bacteria are rod shaped and colourless. She is eating but her diet isn't up to it's normal rate.

MaNaAk

MaNaAk

Southend
Just soaking Daisy and I have to say that one of the symptoms that I hate to see is her bulging eyes as she tries to breathe.

MaNaAk

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Just soaking Daisy and I have to say that one of the symptoms that I hate to see is her bulging eyes as she tries to breathe.

MaNaAk
Poor little Daisy - pleas give her an extra long distance hug from me - Zola xxxxx

zovick

10 Year Member!
Dear @zovick,

I was looking at Daisy's notes before going to bed (something that I shouldn't do) and she was diagnosed with Mycobacterial infection and the bacteria are rod shaped and colourless. She is eating but her diet isn't up to it's normal rate.

MaNaAk
Well, it does sound as though the infection is by a bacteria related to human tuberculosis. Hopefully the antibiotics will help if you can get the prescribed doses into the tortoise reliably.

MaNaAk

Southend
Well, it does sound as though the infection is by a bacteria related to human tuberculosis. Hopefully the antibiotics will help if you can get the prescribed doses into the tortoise reliably.
Well there is another one that we could try but whilst she has eaten a few dandelions I have to admit I hate to see her suffer. I'm lucky that I've got a good vet. It's just that she's been in this family for seventy-two years...

MaNaAk

MaNaAk

Southend
I soaked Daisy for twenty minutes this morning and then she started to move about so I am thinking of doing thirty minutes next time.

MaNaAk

zolasmum

5 Year Member
I soaked Daisy for twenty minutes this morning and then she started to move about so I am thinking of doing thirty minutes next time.

MaNaAk
That sounds like a good idea, as long as you can keep the water warm.I'm so glad she is eating a bit.
Zola and I are thinking of the three of you.Love from us both (and from Zola's dad too - he keeps asking how Daisy is getting on) xxx

MaNaAk

Southend
Good afternoon everyone,

I have put Jacky in Daisy's old enclosure because I noticed that she was sniffly it may be nothing but I was horrified. She has the heat bar and UV light on at 32 degrees Celsius. I put these on at 2.15 pm after her soak and she was active although she hasn't eaten. She has been basking and seems alert if I am concerned I will take her to the vet.

MaNaAk

MaNaAk

Southend
Jacky has discharge and one nostril looks inflamed but I will see how she is tomorrow before taking her to the vet. I could have done without this.

Natrah

MaNaAk

Southend
I have added to my thread Daisy Has A Cold. Can someone please confirm whether it is common for tortoises to have nasal discharge?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Best thing to do when you notice anything like that, that lasts more than a day or two is to up the temps by about 5 degrees. 85 day and night for most species. For those that can withstand even colder at night, like the Mediterranean species, raise the night temps to 70-75. Leaving basking temp as usual.
Leave it like that for at least a week after all symptoms are gone.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have added to my thread Daisy Has A Cold. Can someone please confirm whether it is common for tortoises to have nasal discharge?
It is not common. It is an indicator of a problem. What species and size tortoise? What are your four temperatures?

MaNaAk

Southend
It is not common. It is an indicator of a problem. What species and size tortoise? What are your four temperatures?
Greek tortoise 14 inches long. I've had the temperature at 32 degrees Celsius today and now it is at 24 degrees Celsius.

MaNaAk

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Greek tortoise 14 inches long. I've had the temperature at 32 degrees Celsius today and now it is at 24 degrees Celsius.

MaNaAk
32 where? What about under the basking lamp? Is 24 the overnight low?

MaNaAk

Southend
Good morning everyone,

The basking lamp in the enclosure is set at 32 degrees during the day and I also have the heat bar on. At night I have the heat bar off and the basking lamp at 24 degrees Celsius. The enclosure is in my lounge so she also has the central heating.

MaNaAk