Daisy Has A Cold

MaNaAk

Location (City and/or State)
Southend
Will you be able to bring her home tomorrow ?
I'm glad he has found something treatable,anyway. What did he think about her lumps?
You are such a good mum to her.
Angie x
He thought they were the same size but at least they're not any bigger. He's going to phone tomorrow and at first he said I could bring her home on Thursday but due to my flu jab and work I could be bringing her home on Friday. The vet didn't know that could shove that hard

Natrah 😂🤣

MaNaAk

Southend
Good afternoon everyone!

It seems Daisy has an infection which is why she has the lumps but the infection that she had is difficult to treat. She has being given antibiotics which could last for a month but ideally the vet says she needs to respond within a fortnight it is not great news but she is being treated.

MaNaAk

PS: I shall collect her tomorrow.

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Good afternoon everyone!

It seems Daisy has an infection which is why she has the lumps but the infection that she had is difficult to treat. She has being given antibiotics which could last for a month but ideally the vet says she needs to respond within a fortnight it is not great news but she is being treated.

MaNaAk

PS: I shall collect her tomorrow.
Poor Daisy,and poor you too,having to get your flu jab, as well as dealing with Daisy's problem. Will you have to give her antibiotics yourself - that will no doubt involve a lot of shoving from Daisy ! What is the antibiotic called?
I'm sure you and Jacky will be glad to have her home again. It must be a good thing if he can pinpoint what is actually wrong - I hope he made no mention of putting Daisy to sleep.
Zola sends his love to you and the girls, and so do I. xxx

MaNaAk

Southend
Thankyou you two. I've been feeling because although it can be treated the vet said that she needs to make an improvement in two weeks. We shall to see what happens but I don't want but neither do I want her to be put down. I shall continue to do the best I can for her and I'm lucky to have her, Jacky, the pupils and you wonderful friends.

MaNaAk

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Thankyou you two. I've been feeling because although it can be treated the vet said that she needs to make an improvement in two weeks. We shall to see what happens but I don't want but neither do I want her to be put down. I shall continue to do the best I can for her and I'm lucky to have her, Jacky, the pupils and you wonderful friends.

MaNaAk
Dear Natrah - it seems to me that ,from what you say, Daisy is managing pretty well, so even if her inflammation hasn't improved in two weeks, the vet may well have something else he can try, and if he doesn't, you have a perfect right to go to another vet and get their opinion. If she doesn't improve after that, you can see how well she gets on over the winter, and only think of putting her down if you can see she is struggling and in pain. I can't help feeling that the vet isn't quite understanding how precious she is to you - she is your family, and Jacky's family.!!!
And remember that tortoises tend to be slow to get over things - especially when they are already 80 years old.
Love from Angie and Zola xxx

MaNaAk

Southend
Good afternoon everyone.

Daisy is back home with antibiotics and the vet wants to see her in two weeks. She is seriously ill with abscesses and I thought the vet looked either or tired but we are doing the best we can. I have to wear a mask when I make contact with her and keep disinfecting. Jacky and Daisy can't come into contact with each other.

MaNaAk

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Good afternoon everyone.

Daisy is back home with antibiotics and the vet wants to see her in two weeks. She is seriously ill with abscesses and I thought the vet looked either or tired but we are doing the best we can. I have to wear a mask when I make contact with her and keep disinfecting. Jacky and Daisy can't come into contact with each other.

MaNaAk
Dear Natrah - I am so sorry - poor little Daisy. Does she seem really poorly in herself ? I imagine the antibiotics would make her feel bit strange, anyway.

MaNaAk

Southend
She has the tortoise form of TB but let's see what the antibiotics do and she does seem low and jerking her head about. However she's back here so let's see whether her mood lifts. I am going to work as normal later

MaNaAk

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
86F equals 30C. You should keep the tortoise at 30-31C in the daytime and not lower than 25-26C for night time.

Yes, you should still soak the tortoise for about 15-20 minutes daily in lukewarm water or it will become dehydrated.
Zovick, can you tell me why the temps should change at all for any tortoise between day and night? Should night temps be always cooler? Is it based on the temps in their natural habitat? Does this sound dumb?

zovick

10 Year Member!
Zovick, can you tell me why the temps should change at all for any tortoise between day and night? Should night temps be always cooler? Is it based on the temps in their natural habitat? Does this sound dumb?
It is my feeling that tortoises like to heat up in the daytime which seems natural since they often sit in the sun to bask in the morning if left on their own. At night when the sun goes down, the air temperature drops somewhat and the tortoises cool off a bit. I think this happens in most all natural habitats occupied by tortoises.

Based on that thinking, I have always kept my tortoises at 86-90F in the daytime and allowed the temperatures to drop to around 70-74F at night and have been reasonably successful in raising numerous species of tortoises and breeding hundreds of babies from them, so I don't see any reason not to allow a temperature drop at night.

Is it better to keep tortoises at a constant temperature 24/7/365? I don't know, since I never tried it, but personally, I think doing that is contrary to what they experience in the wild.

Hope this answers your questions.

MaNaAk

Southend
It is my feeling that tortoises like to heat up in the daytime which seems natural since they often sit in the sun to bask in the morning if left on their own. At night when the sun goes down, the air temperature drops somewhat and the tortoises cool off a bit. I think this happens in most all natural habitats occupied by tortoises.

Based on that thinking, I have always kept my tortoises at 86-90F in the daytime and allowed the temperatures to drop to around 70-74F at night and have been reasonably successful in raising numerous species of tortoises and breeding hundreds of babies from them, so I don't see any reason not to allow a temperature drop at night.

Is it better to keep tortoises at a constant temperature 24/7/365? I don't know, since I never tried it, but personally, I think doing that is contrary to what they experience in the wild.

Hope this answers your questions.
Good evening everyone.

You will know from my latest addition to this thread that Daisy is very ill. I just want to thank you all for your support. I have given a lot of rubs albeit with rubber gloves and a mask. I hope that the antibiotics work but I have to face the fact that they may not but she comfortable and she is warm.

MaNaAk

zovick

10 Year Member!
She has the tortoise form of TB but let's see what the antibiotics do and she does seem low and jerking her head about. However she's back here so let's see whether her mood lifts. I am going to work as normal later

MaNaAk
What antibiotic was given to you to treat your tortoise? Also, I never heard of tortoise TB. I was taught that humans are the only known host for TB. How was it diagnosed?

There would need to be a Smithwick stain done of sputum to show the organism, Mycobacterium tuberculosis, which will then glow yellow under UV light. Other acid-fast or fluorescent stains may also be used to diagnose the TB pathogen.

Were any radiographs taken of the tortoise showing lung congestion? If you mentioned that earlier, I missed it.

Last edited:

MaNaAk

Southend
She has a number of abscesses but some of them are very small at the moment. I just that she is very ill I'll have a look at the antibiotics and keep you posted.

MaNaAk

zovick

10 Year Member!
She has a number of abscesses but some of them are very small at the moment. I just that she is very ill I'll have a look at the antibiotics and keep you posted.

MaNaAk
When you say abscesses, do you mean in the lungs and seen by X-ray or on the skin? Can you post photos of these abscesses if they are on the skin, please?

Also if these spots are external, are you sure it isn't Austwickia chelonae? If so, I am sorry to say that nothing is going to help the tortoise.

Last edited:

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Dear Angie,

I was concerned that she wasn't eating today but then eventhough she is the UV light and bar it has been so miserable that she might feel more like eating tomorrow. I could see how she goes tomorrow as she doesn't seem to be any worse. Good luck tomorrow Daisy and I shall be thinking of you.

Natrah

PS: I just don't want the original vet to consider putting her to sleep without considering treating this.
And don't forget it's hibernation time and you are keeping her awake. Stuff will improve slower. Sapphire usually starts eating better around mid December but is slow with eating most of November. So just keep doing what you are doing unless you start seeing bad things it's probably better without stress. 🤗

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Dear Natrah - it seems to me that ,from what you say, Daisy is managing pretty well, so even if her inflammation hasn't improved in two weeks, the vet may well have something else he can try, and if he doesn't, you have a perfect right to go to another vet and get their opinion. If she doesn't improve after that, you can see how well she gets on over the winter, and only think of putting her down if you can see she is struggling and in pain. I can't help feeling that the vet isn't quite understanding how precious she is to you - she is your family, and Jacky's family.!!!
And remember that tortoises tend to be slow to get over things - especially when they are already 80 years old.
Amen

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
How is Daisy doing? I hope that she will get better, of course, but if she cannot, and is really on her way out, then I hope that she will be allowed to go in her own time, just as she has been allowed to live her very long and amazing life to the fullest so far and with such awesome love and care.

MaNaAk

Southend
Dear @TammyJ,

Yesterday Daisy ate dandelions and lettuce. Today she hasn't touched her food so far but during soaking she was moving about which I think is good. I hope I'm doing the right thing by still soaking her. She has just yawned she has had a remarkable life and both she and Jacky have been there when some humans haven't.

MaNaAk

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Dear @TammyJ,

Yesterday Daisy ate dandelions and lettuce. Today she hasn't touched her food so far but during soaking she was moving about which I think is good. I hope I'm doing the right thing by still soaking her. She has just yawned she has had a remarkable life and both she and Jacky have been there when some humans haven't.

MaNaAk
Daisy is a wonderful person, and so is Jacky. And so are you, for looking after them with so much care!!
I think that the soaking id a very good thing, as she needs to keep hydrated as much as possible. And if she is moving about, I would think that's better still !
Angie

MaNaAk

Southend
Daisy is a wonderful person, and so is Jacky. And so are you, for looking after them with so much care!!
I think that the soaking id a very good thing, as she needs to keep hydrated as much as possible. And if she is moving about, I would think that's better still !
Angie
I came home and gave Daisy some and found that she had had a late breakfast as there was a hole in the greens. She has also eaten part of a mushroom tomorrow she will have her medicine.

MaNaAk