Dandelions

Status
Not open for further replies.

brandhllg

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Maumelle Arkansas
Just wanted to let everyone know whom has a Kroger near by that they now offer Dandelions in the organic part of the produce section of the store. I was shopping for myself and looked down and there they were. They come in a huge bundle for 2.98. I asked the manager on staff and she said they are doing a trial run with them bc of the market wanting alternatives from lettuce for human consumption. ImageUploadedByTortForum1378491165.704554.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

WillTort2

5 Year Member
Harris Teeter has been carrying a large leaf variety of dandelion for a while now.

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
Good to know!

Whole Foods has them too, depending on the store. I've seen some carry them more frequently than others!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I just have a hard time wrapping my head around buying dandelions. :D Of course, I use to think the same thing about buying bottled water.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Dandelions are great for tortoises and great for people. Dandelions are one of the top 4 greens in nutritional value according to the USDA. It is one of the top 6 in Chinese medicine. Good for our tortoises and good for us. Love the one for you and two for me stuff!

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Jacqui said:
I just have a hard time wrapping my head around buying dandelions. :D Of course, I use to think the same thing about buying bottled water.
I hear ya'! Dandelions are everywhere here. I feel the same about bottled water too! Basically you're paying to throw away a plastic container. Because we apparently don't already do that enough!

Some dandelion trivia:

It is not native to the U.S. It was planted by the Dutch in the 1600's.

It's an herb related to sunflowers.

The majority of dandelion sold in grocery stores actually isn't dandelion, it's a cultivated form of chicory.

And from personal experience: It's a weed that grows just about anywhere, mostly where you don't want it. When the nuclear holocaust comes three things will survive: Twinkies, cockroaches and dandelions!

lkwagner

5 Year Member
Meijer always has dandelion greens... $1.49 for a huge bunch. I'm in MI if that helps anyone

Wolfjpf2

5 Year Member
Here in Arizona, I was surprised to find them in Sprouts. Organic grocery store, very happy day for me. Had been searching forever :)

AlishaT

5 Year Member
I don't know where you all live but come over to my place and you can come pick organic dandelions to your hearts content. All for free!

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
In arizona sprouts and fry's carries them. If fry's dont have them, ask they will get them. You get more for your money...

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Oh HelenP, that is an easy fix. Guerrilla weeding. Find an empty lot that you know for sure, for sure is not being sprayed with anything toxic. Walk your dog, sublimely. Stop at lot. You zero in on the dandelions, or the plantain, or the purslane, or the lamb's quarter. Look left, look right. But discretely. Take out your weeding tool. I use a hori hori knife. But butter knife from the kitchen works well. Easy to put in your jacket pocket, too. I grab my doggie poopy bag which is my cover for my weed thief stash. From an empty, abandoned lot. With no pesticides. And I stab the soil, scoop and pocket in my poopy bag. Repeat. Once your bag is full, walk home, fast. Plant in your spot right away, or soak in water and do it the next day when your heart has stopped beating so fast. If a cop stops you, just tell him the truth. He will laugh and walk away.

nate.mann

5 Year Member
Glendale, Arizona, USA
Wolfjpf2 said:
Here in Arizona, I was surprised to find them in Sprouts. Organic grocery store, very happy day for me. Had been searching forever :)

what part if the amazing state of AZ do you live in? i havent hit a sprouts for food yet but im going to start.

0.1.0 Russian
0.0.1 Leopard
1.0.0 Blue Pit/American Bulldog
Chive On!

rhondak

10 Year Member!
Ohio
I live in Ohio and our local Giant Eagle carries Dandelions. It might be a seasonal item there because I actually haven't seen any this summer. When I got my russian tort in December, I found the dandelions at giant eagle and Boris just loved them. When summer came he wouldn't eat the ones in the field we have by our home though. So he hasn't had any for a little while. The dandelions in our store are just the dandelion leaves and much bigger than what grows as a weed in our backyard/fields. I am hoping to find them again soon in the store.

AlishaT

5 Year Member
Just curious, can people actually eat the ones growing in the yard? Oh and sneaking around with a dog poop bag stealing weeds is hilarious!

TigsMom

5 Year Member
Arizona
Save your cashier the time of looking them up, the UIC for Dandelion Greens is 4615. Not a cashier, but it is the one and only UIC I know, my cashiers love that I save them the extra step of having to look it up. LOL Watch their reaction when you give them the code. You'll both get a giggle.

Status
Not open for further replies.