Desert Humidity ??

VBgecko

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Minnesota
Hokay,

So I may or may not have a job opportunity coming up that would relocate me to Nevada.

I was looking for any information if it's even possible to create an outdoor enclosure that would bump the 3% humidity to something more acceptable for a forest dwelling species. As well as not cooking my tortoise at a toasty 113º+.

(I do have experience with living in the area so I'm well aware of what the end of May to early August are like)

1) Is it even possible? Or is my little guy going to have to spend the rest of his life in an indoor enclosure, MAYBE being allowed out during the wet season?

2) I'm just now getting to know the mere existence of exotic species laws. Am I even going to be allowed to take him with me?

3) Please don't be too mean to me if I sound like an idiot for even wanting to attempt something like this, I just can't stand the thought of a RF stuck under artificial light for the remainder of the time we would be in Nevada.

4) I'm not above McGiver stuff, so any theoretical ideas would be welcome too.

So far I've come up with: A greenhouse with a misting setup, equipped with an AC unit :p

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
hopefully desert dwellers speak up with words of encouragement. ;)

I'm hopeful that you can do it. I think with heavy enclosure shade, lots of plants and misters, you can do it.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I live in the central valley of California. It's not humid here at all. How I provide for my rain forest tortoises is by watering. My tortoise partner pounded T-posts into the ground all along the middle of my Manouria yard and through the YF yard. Then he strung up 1/2" drip pipe on the posts, and punched in drip emitters every 5' or so. The type of emitters we bought puts out a circle of water in a very fine spray about 5' in diameter. There is a very big mulberry tree and many other types of bushes and trees in the 'rain forest.' I have kept these tortoises in this manner for about 18 years.

I have to say, this mulberry tree is a godsend on those hot one hundred plus degree days. What a wonderful shade it provides. I'm guessing it's at least 15 and maybe even 20 degrees cooler under that tree than out in the sun. And the emitters cool it down even more.

VBgecko

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Minnesota
I live in the central valley of California. It's not humid here at all. How I provide for my rain forest tortoises is by watering. My tortoise partner pounded T-posts into the ground all along the middle of my Manouria yard and through the YF yard. Then he strung up 1/2" drip pipe on the posts, and punched in drip emitters every 5' or so. The type of emitters we bought puts out a circle of water in a very fine spray about 5' in diameter. There is a very big mulberry tree and many other types of bushes and trees in the 'rain forest.' I have kept these tortoises in this manner for about 18 years.

I figured if I could get away with shade and a misting system, I would let him roam a future garden. I can't live without one and the past 3 years I've been researching the right plants to get a lush desert garden, grapes being a big thriver. I figure the humidity and coolness under the towering vines and vegetation would suffice.

Has anyone tried shade cloth? And how about the desert wind, because I know it can ravage a garden if not properly protected (even behind a cinderblock privacy fence)?

TigsMom

5 Year Member
Arizona
I do not have redfoot tortoises, but I do have 3 Toed Box turtles that require humidity living outside full time here in Arizona (along the Colorado River). Misters, plus watering twice daily (morning and evening) during the intense heat of summer, water filled trash can lid for soaking, with chicken wire and shade cloth are over a rod iron fence section that covers the entire enclosure to help prevent predators, provides shade and prevents them from escaping. This setup has worked great for 12 years even the shade cloth has not needed replacing. I do open it for sunning while supervising them and of course for cleaning and feeding. We also covered an RV/Boat house with Shade Cloth professionally sewn to be custom fit, it lasted a few years before the wind and sun destroyed it. I think you're on the right track and your tortoise will do well with your move to Nevada.