DT brumaters thread 2013-2014

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Orange County, So Cal
I agree. It is best to be safe than sorry. I posted on a different thread on how my neighbor lost hers during brumation when I was kid. I have never forgotten her anguish. And she never really coped well with the loss of her beloved tortoise. Never got another even though she was offered by other neighbors when they moved out of state. A bit much, but it is heart breaking to lose a beloved pet especially when it can be avoided with extra precaution. Read and re-read everyone's insight, and make a super informed decision. My possible CDT-Texas that I adopted 2 months ago is staying up so I can be sure he is building up, for next year. I do not know him well enough to let him sleep. The whole 4 month fast, is exactly that, a 4 month fast. If they do not have enough built up and if we do not keep them suspended in that temp range that they need and they start to use reserves because it is warm, bam. Below is a copy/paste from donsdeserttortoises.com.

For the whole care sheet, this is the link: http://www.donsdeserttortoises.com/2.html

HIBERNATION – This species hibernates in nature, after careful research and provision of a cool dry location this can be provided for your tortoise. DO NOT HIBERNATE IN PLASTIC OR RUBBERMAID CONTAINERS, AIR CIRCULATION/BREATHING IS REQUIRED. Instead, use a “double box-in-box” method with insulating material (newspapers) placed in between the two boxes. Tortoises that have been sick should not be hibernated but should be kept up through the winter with @ 13-14 hours of UVB lighting and temps @ 80-90 F. on the “hot” side of enclosure and @ 70-75F. on the “cool” side, with night temps @ 10 degrees lower.

HIBERNATION (Actually Brumation, an extreme slowing of metabolism, regulated by temperature and hours or daylight.)

******Do not hibernate a sick or injured tortoise or one that has been treated that summer for illness. It is also generally not recommended that you "hibernate" a new tortoise since you may not know it's health history.*****

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
So many people I know that live in my area just put them in a box and put them in a closet. They never seem anxious or nervous. So what's up with me. Another guy just puts his tort in a bucket and puts him under his house. They just make it seem that it's really not a big deal. And all these torts do fine.

Likely the torts you reference are healthy and hydrated---so this is logical.....

My Grandma had a CDT that lived with her for as long as I can remember and then when her second oldest son (my uncle) moved out as an adult he took Tiny with him and he lived for a ton more years....Tiny would slow and know it was time...her house had painted wood floors (old huh) and he would go up under a bed all the way to the head of the bed and would remain there for the entire winter...then would mosey his way on out when it began to warm up....(Grandma would offer him up watermelon and then put him out for the warmer weather---he was also allowed to come in and out of the house as he desired).....and keep in mind the house had all us brats running and screaming and fussing all the time...:D When we were kids we even painted poor old Tiny (who knew it was not good---he sure did look pretty---not advocating the bling but just sharing)....

I believe if you begin now to prep your tort for brumation next winter then all should run smoothly----and I know that my goal each season that the men wake up here is to begin to prep them for brumation ---so the goal is to assure that they are as plump (not fat) and juicied up (hydrated) as possible---then if there are a few times the temps jump a day or two (due to our cali weather) there is no need for freak out....

:D

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
Wowzers! It hit 97 in the back yard today, but the freezer held at 55. Who'd a thought we'd have such a hot one in the middle of November? An early test for the freezer and it passed. Glad my guys are keeping cool. Hope everybody else in SoCal whose torts are down already is having luck as well.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I've been toe tickling twice a day.

Giggling like a 5 year old here...:p I think you need an intervention....perhaps let a few days go past and then give em a slight touch once a day and then wean yourself back to once a week...
What you are doing is simply trying to achieve a quick breath to assure they are clear and not raspy....

:D:p:p:p:p:p

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
ascott said:
I've been toe tickling twice a day.

Giggling like a 5 year old here...:p I think you need an intervention....perhaps let a few days go past and then give em a slight touch once a day and then wean yourself back to once a week...
What you are doing is simply trying to achieve a quick breath to assure they are clear and not raspy....

:D:p:p:p:p:p

You would be proud of me, Angela -- I did not toe tickle today! But I don't understand the quick breath thing. Sometimes they retract into their shells when I touch them, but I don't hear any particular breathing noise.

Incidentally, yet another sunny, 90+ day here and the freezer stayed in the low 50s. With temps expected to drop 20 degrees tomorrow, I'm pleased that the setup is so far, so good.

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
We raked the yard here in LA today and have a ton of dead leaves from crepe myrtle, magnolia, ficus and camphor trees. I was thinking of tucking some in with my brumating DTs, who are currently on orchid bark in their cardboard boxes within boxes. Any reason not to? Seems like they would like the cover, wouldn't they? The leaves are dry.

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
Woke up this morning to raindrops falling on my head -- the roof directly over our bed has a leak. Argh.

Since it was really coming down I went outside to check on the shed where the torts are brumating and it's dry as a bone. Maybe we should move in with them for the winter. Those little leaf beds look cozy all if a sudden.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
thatrebecca said:
We raked the yard here in LA today and have a ton of dead leaves from crepe myrtle, magnolia, ficus and camphor trees. I was thinking of tucking some in with my brumating DTs, who are currently on orchid bark in their cardboard boxes within boxes. Any reason not to? Seems like they would like the cover, wouldn't they? The leaves are dry.

Dry leaves would be fine. I generally shred newspaper and fill the boxes with it.

wildchild6771

5 Year Member
My older tortoise decided to go against my wishes and hibernate himself in his burrow he dug. I was worried sick last night due to the heavy rain we got. Well, he must have realized I was right and decided to come out this morning. He's now safely tucked into his winter box and will be staying in the shed.

I can finally relax!

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
wildchild6771 said:
My older tortoise decided to go against my wishes and hibernate himself in his burrow he dug. I was worried sick last night due to the heavy rain we got. Well, he must have realized I was right and decided to come out this morning. He's now safely tucked into his winter box and will be staying in the shed.

I can finally relax!

Glad to hear it! With that being our first big rain of the season here in SoCal, I was wondering if some torts would be reconsidering their digs for the season. I was sure glad to know my guys are inside.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
With temperatures coming and going between cold and warm, have any burrow brumaters popped out? I ask because my neighbor's tortoise was strolling along singing his song about noon-ish today. She called me to come over and we watched it from the kitchen. Took a bite of something , walked into the little concrete indentation where they keep the water, walked in, walked out and has been sunny himself for well over an hour. Sleep walking? Wishing it was still summer? Normal or odd behavior? The temps are 66 and sunny. This boy was out for the count around Halloween time, so about 3 weeks now.

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
BeeBee*BeeLeaves said:
With temperatures coming and going between cold and warm, have any burrow brumaters popped out? I ask because my neighbor's tortoise was strolling along singing his song about noon-ish today. She called me to come over and we watched it from the kitchen. Took a bite of something , walked into the little concrete indentation where they keep the water, walked in, walked out and has been sunny himself for well over an hour. Sleep walking? Wishing it was still summer? Normal or odd behavior? The temps are 66 and sunny. This boy was out for the count around Halloween time, so about 3 weeks now.

Wow, I'll be interested to hear if anyone else has had an outdoor brumater pop out.

Today marks two weeks since my guys went down in their boxes. I made it an entire week without a toe tickle (it's OK if you want to applaud!). Today when I checked weights I was delighted to see that neither tort has lost an ounce! The freezer held temps this week between 46 and 51, so that must be a good zone for them.

I had been planning to give them a soak at the 1-month mark, just to make sure hydration is good. Is there any reason I shouldn't?

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
I have three desert tortoises. Two are asleep in their man made hide/burrow and have not come out for around 4-5 days; however, the third one (who is the most nosey one) does not want to go to sleep. He still comes out every morning even if it is not a sunny day. It was sunny this morning (Sunday) and he spent the day laying in the sun. I live in Alta Loma, California. All three of the tortoises were grazing last week. The weather has been so strange - going from 90+ degrees one day to cold and raining a few days later.

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
Carol S said:
I have three desert tortoises. Two are asleep in their man made hide/burrow and have not come out for around 4-5 days; however, the third one (who is the most nosey one) does not want to go to sleep. He still comes out every morning even if it is not a sunny day. It was sunny this morning (Sunday) and he spent the day laying in the sun. I live in Alta Loma, California. All three of the tortoises were grazing last week. The weather has been so strange - going from 90+ degrees one day to cold and raining a few days later.

I love that your nosy guy is still coming out every day. Hearing about so many DTs still out and about, it makes me think I set up mine in their boxes too early.

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
Today was sunny (Monday) and two of my three desert tortoises came out. Of course, the nosey one came out, warmed up and was walking around checking things out. The other one, which I thought was asleep for the winter, came out and was out sunning himself this afternoon.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Today was indeed an amazing day and the reason we put up with so much doodoo in California. Great weather. My neighbor's big boy was out again. She did not notice him eating but he once again went in to his water, not once but several times. I find this very interesting. Any more CDTs out there beside's my neighbor and Carol S's doing this? Carol S, did yours start to wind down prior to Halloween also, and "in bed" by Halloween, do you recall?

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Went to read the Utah, Arizona and CTTC care sheets. From the CTTC one: "If the tortoise should waken during a mid-winter warm spell, water may be offered, BUT DO NOT FEED. As weather cools again, encourage it to return to sleep." Alrighty then.

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
BeeBee*BeeLeaves said:
Went to read the Utah, Arizona and CTTC care sheets. From the CTTC one: "If the tortoise should waken during a mid-winter warm spell, water may be offered, BUT DO NOT FEED. As weather cools again, encourage it to return to sleep." Alrighty then.

That makes sense to me. Since my torts are in their controlled environment of the freezer, the biggest 'warm spell' they experience is in the mid 50s, even when it's 90 out. What I wonder is, should I wake them for a soak at some point this winter, or just let them be? They're not experiencing the hot temps that would dehydrate them in there, but they are going a loooong time without water. Can't decide what to do.