Family "ghost" stories?

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New Jersey
Idk if it could be classed as a typical ghost story, but its definitely family related and an unworldly experience I think about a lot!

I can’t remember exactly how old I was, but I must’ve been younger than 10 because I wasn’t in secondary school yet, probably around 7 or 8.

I had a great aunt who was unfortunately passing away from cancer after a long hard battle.

One night I had this incredibly vivid dream, I was sat in what looked like an older ladies flat with all my family members, I remember the layout and decor to a T, you know your typical 90’s flowery wallpaper with the old fashioned boarders halfway down the wall? I remember how the kitchen was adjacent to the living room, where the tv was, bedroom, bathroom etc, it wasn’t anywhere I’d been before.

One thing that instantly caught my attention in the dream because of how out of placed it looked, was this wall mounted fireplace, I remember in the dream all my family members were facing the tv whilst I watched the flames flicker in this fire, above the fire place were a bunch of ornaments, again typical of those you’d probably see in an older ladies home, nick nacks, some animal figurines, I remember looking up at what looked like a lioness figurine, it suddenly sprang to life which obviously captivated me, I watched as this small lioness figure tried to climb down from the top of this fireplace, it fell into the fire and I remember getting this up close vision of this poor lioness’s pained face surrounded by flames, I could literally see the flesh melting off of her, I still don’t know how my young mind came up with such scary imagery.. the lions facial expressions were so so human like, we locked eyes in the dream and I remember just feeling utterly heartbroken and helpless at what I was seeing! I was screaming out in the dream, begging my family to turn their heads at what I was seeing, but they were all in this trance like state staring at the tv. I reached out, begging for the figure to jump into my arms and escape, I could see the pure agony they were in, the figure looked down at their body engulfed and melted by the flames, we locked eyes one more time, and it’s as if I knew they couldn’t stay, I was sobbing, they turned and jumped further into the flames and disappeared with a huge bright blaze. With that the fire went out.

Next thing I know I wake up with tears streaming down my face feeling absolutely inconsolable and at the time couldn’t figure out why, other than what a horrible visual nightmare it was! It really bothered me.

My mom could see the next day I was acting a bit off and asked me what was up, I described my dream in the detail I’ve written here, when describing the flat we were sat in her face dropped, I asked what was wrong and she told me I was describing my great aunts flat, somewhere I’d also never been at the time.

She passed some time later.

Weeks go by and I go along with my mom and some family members to help clear her flat out.

Low and behold I enter, and every damn thing is almost identical to the dream I’d had weeks prior, the layout of the flat, the decor, where the tv was, the same flower bordered wall paper. The only thing missing, that fireplace and lion figure.

I wasn’t particularly close with this aunt to be honest, obviously I was really sad she was poorly and went to visit her in hospice, but I was still quite young to really understand the emotions that comes with someone’s passing, but she was the first ever funeral I went I to and I definitely cried.

But it’s still wild to me I had this experience so close to her passing, it definitely made me feel much more connected to her in some way. I’m quite close with my Nan(her sister) but I’ve never told her this story, I fear it’d be too upsetting for her, they were so close. I think my mom is the only person in the family who knows the story.

I haven’t ever shared this story with anyone outside of my mom, mostly because it just sounds so unbelievable lol. But I’ve got nothing to gain from posting it here anonymously, so hopefully folks will take it for what it is😊

They say young kids have a connection to the spirit world. That’s why little kids can see ghosts way more often than adults.
I guess by the time we grow up we pass things off like this as “I must have been tired or something” and debunk everything that we cannot explain.
Kids are more like…
“Hey Auntie! What are you doing?”…
I do believe it was some sort of spiritual thing.
Coooool.

Littleredfootbigredheart

Location (City and/or State)
UK
You must have a closer connection than you think with your aunt or both of them. Even though the dream is scary it may be a blessing in disguise. Maybe you should actually share it with your Nan. Yes it's a dream but still... and it's not unbelievable.
Looking back at it as an adult, I kind of interpret it as her letting me know how much pain the cancer was truly beginning to cause her, and that it was her time to let go😔it’s almost as if the lioness represented her spirt, it was truly harrowing at the time, but I’ve learnt to appreciate how special the experience was as I got older, perhaps I should share it with her, they were so close, I just wouldn’t want to risk upsetting her😣
They say young kids have a connection to the spirit world. That’s why little kids can see ghosts way more often than adults.
I guess by the time we grow up we pass things off like this as “I must have been tired or something” and debunk everything that we cannot explain.
Kids are more like…
“Hey Auntie! What are you doing?”…
I do believe it was some sort of spiritual thing.
Coooool.
I’m very inclined to agree with you there! I’ve always been on the fence about this kind of stuff, it’s easy to say your mind plays tricks, but I’ve never forgotten the details of this experience, and my mom still remembers me telling her about it, so I have a witness reassuring me I’m not crazy lol.