Feeding live garden snails to redfoots?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tyrs4u

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Portland, OR.
If pesticide free; then go for it. My kids actually keep the slug population down...

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
If I had them (or the slugs) I would be feeding them. There could be a chance of them getting something from them, but they would be eating them if they crawled into the enclosure any how.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Feeding slugs and snails to redfoots (and other omnivorous chelonians) is a great idea. As long as the mollusks are not full of pesticides or herbicides, they are a good source of protein and, in the case of the snails, a good source of calcium, too.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Make sure your neighbors don't have any snail bait out either.

One way to insure they are safe is to catch them and keep them in a jar and feed them for a week or two. This will clear their bowels of any toxins and if they are still alive after two weeks, you can be pretty sure they are okay to feed. I use a jar, keep a damp crumpled paper towel in the bottom for moisture and humidity and feed them lettuce or leafy greens of some sort daily.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
If a slug or snail has ingested pesticides or herbicides, then its tissues can still retain those toxins, even after its gut has been evacuated.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
GeoTerraTestudo said:
If a slug or snail has ingested pesticides or herbicides, then its tissues can still retain those toxins, even after its gut has been evacuated.

Do you think they'd live and eat well for two weeks if they had ingested poison?

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
I'm curious. Everyone is deathly afraid of pesticides and herbicides. If so, then, and call me crazy, maybe you should stop spewing those things all over your property.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
yagyujubei said:
I'm curious. Everyone is deathly afraid of pesticides and herbicides. If so, then, and call me crazy, maybe you should stop spewing those things all over your property.

I agree, but none of us can control what our neighbors do.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Anybody too concerned about the quality of the wild snails, just keep in mind you can buy canned ones sold both for humans and tortoises.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Tom said:
GeoTerraTestudo said:

Do you think they'd live and eat well for two weeks if they had ingested poison?

Yes, there are two circumstances in which a snail could continue to live after expelling all poison from its gut, but continuing to retain the poison in its tissues:

1) The dose is sub-lethal.
2) The snail comes from a population that has evolved resistance.

This is why, if a slug or snail has been exposed to toxic compounds, it should be not be available as prey at all.

yagyujubei said:

Here, here! Well said. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.