Feral Phrynops

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
I found a feral small group of Phrynops hilari in Balboa Park today, not at the zoo, but in the park proper.

Made a good day great. I was so excited, that I watched a few swim by before I had the presence of mind to use the camera in my phone. Opps, not so good an image.

2013-11-10 15.59.52.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Benjamin

5 Year Member
zone 7b
Nice find! Better than the typical feral sliders.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
I had never heard of these and had to look them up. Very interesting and VERY cool looking!!!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Pretty cool. A member just posted a pic of one of these I believe, last week or so. Wondering what species it was. Nice too see in a natural setting. Pics not so bad. Thanks for sharing.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Next time you go there take your fishing net (the kind the fishermen in boats use) and catch that turtle. If its male he'll go well with my female (since Eric doesn't seem to want her)!

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Yvonne G said:
Next time you go there take your fishing net (the kind the fishermen in boats use) and catch that turtle. If its male he'll go well with my female (since Eric doesn't seem to want her)!

Yeah, well I don't want a free rent room with narrow horizontal windows, not even in sunny San Diego. To bad the others were allowed to 'get away' as it were. Besides that would just lead to more babies, and then what?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You could get in trouble for taking a non-native turtle out of a pond?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
EricIvins said:
Eric doesn't want her? What did I miss?

You mentioned quite a while ago that you would take my female Phrynops if I ever wanted to re-home her. I talked it over with my partner, Will, and we decided that since I only had one and she is quite unusual, that it would be good to get her into a breeding situation. I contacted you and you never responded.

EricIvins

5 Year Member
Yvonne G said:
EricIvins said:
Eric doesn't want her? What did I miss?

You mentioned quite a while ago that you would take my female Phrynops if I ever wanted to re-home her. I talked it over with my partner, Will, and we decided that since I only had one and she is quite unusual, that it would be good to get her into a breeding situation. I contacted you and you never responded.

Per me and Wills conversations, he needed to actually go pick the animal up and ship her. Evidently that never happened, and that was that?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Sorry...sounds like a mis-communication on my part.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
So anyways, you can not remove things from municiple parks, pine cones, sea shells, etc. I'm sure not going to make a spectacle of catching a turtle in a crowded public park. People standing beside me and looking at the fish didn't see the turtle.

I think the turtles are in a good place, I'll not fool with them based on that alone. I can see an animal not under human control and appreciate it, weird of me hugh?

Eric, awkward moment, don't know what to say.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
turtlesailor said:
Any native turtles found in the park? :)

Inside the SD zoo yes for sure, as far as a ponds in the park, I did not see any, but no RES's either. I did not really survey the park, but stumbled on the Phrynops by coincidence.

People standing right beside me looking in the same general direction did not seem to see them, which for me, they might as well been neon.

I've not been back, but I will go again and see if I can get a better images or two.

sageharmon

San Diego
Was this pond that rectangular one in front of the Botanical Gardens? I think I've seen this turtle