Fun things to do with your tort.

Toffi

I'm am an owner of 2 baby Red foots and they look pretty bored in their enclosure. I was wondering if there were any fun things I could do with them if they get bored.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
they don't get bored. May I ask what makes you think they are bored?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Sorry, they are not dogs, they do not get bored. You can however, add plants, rocks, logs, make a more natural enclosure. I don't have any idea what your enclosure looks like, some ideas.

newCH

5 Year Member
So.FL
Not sure what your seeing is boredom - How old are your torts ?
Sheldon when he was younger was more into hiding. Now that he is 1 yr old he is more adventurous.
Like he wakes up when I turn the lights on & he eats right away. Then he soaks himself in the warm water.
Then he explores a bit. He likes to push his humid hide box around. Then he gets back inside his hide.
He might nibble again or soak a 2nd time but that pretty much sums up Sheldons day.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
I'm am an owner of 2 baby Red foots and they look pretty bored in their enclosure. I was wondering if there were any fun things I could do with them if they get bored.
A very warm welcome to the forum.

I have had my beloved Greek tort for more than four years. I too get the impression that he sometimes gets bored, although:

a) I allow him to roam around the flat
b) I take him out for nice long walks - when the whether permits - which he loves

Unlike dogs and cats, torts are not all all easy to understand, that I'm 100% sure of.

Prairie Mom

Hi Toffi:) Welcome to the forum.

My tortoise LOVES her warm soaks and sprawls out like she's in a spa hot-tub.

As they get older, you can enrich their experience by providing larger and larger enclosures with lots of plants and hides. Make bigger and better outdoor enclosures for them to explore. Give them a mud hole and good places to soak themselves. Try putting on a sprinkler in an area of their enclosure and see if they want to shower themselves at times. Give them lots of shade and plants to hide in, but also give them a nice place to bask in the sunlight. Add variety to their diets. Garden for them. Give them new tastes and smells to enjoy. I bet if you do these things you'll have very happy and content tortoises that are enjoying life the way a tortoise is meant to. Thanks for joining the forum. We're glad you're here:)

Last edited:

Toffi

Hi Toffi:) Welcome to the forum.

My tortoise LOVES her warm soaks and sprawls out like she's in a spa hot-tub.

As they get older, you can enrich their experience by providing larger and larger enclosures with lots of plants and hides. Make bigger and better outdoor enclosures for them to explore. Give them a mud hole and good places to soak themselves. Try putting on a sprinkler in an area of their enclosure and see if they want to shower themselves at times. Give them lots of shade and plants to hide in, but also give them a nice place to bask in the sunlight. Add variety to their diets. Garden for them. Give them new tastes and smells to enjoy. I bet if you do these things you'll have very happy and content tortoises that are enjoying life the way a tortoise is meant to. Thanks for joining the forum. We're glad you're here:)
Thank you so much this helped a lot!

Toffi

Not sure what your seeing is boredom - How old are your torts ?
Sheldon when he was younger was more into hiding. Now that he is 1 yr old he is more adventurous.
Like he wakes up when I turn the lights on & he eats right away. Then he soaks himself in the warm water.
Then he explores a bit. He likes to push his humid hide box around. Then he gets back inside his hide.
He might nibble again or soak a 2nd time but that pretty much sums up Sheldons day.
My torts are about 6 months old.

drgnfly2265

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
FLORIDA
I keep Bowser busy sometimes. I like to take him places. We got to meet Darth Vader and some Stormtroopers. Fun times!

a6f5d979-5a86-4016-80fe-8c630623160e_zps228265e4.jpg

drgnfly2265

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
FLORIDA
did Vader remark, the force is strong in this one?
Yes he did, lol!

I'll have to remember to post all of the pics from Bowser meeting the Star Wars characters when I have a chance!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
For fun, I feed them and clean up their leftover food and any poop.

I worry about yours living as a pair. This is not a good idea. Groups are usually fine. Pairs are often a problem. We had another member here last year who also had two RFs. We suggested she separate them, but she didn't. Six weeks later she was asking for medical advice as one had bitten off the other one's tail and most of one back leg.

Tortoises should not be housed in pairs.

lilT

Hey I am also a new Cherry Head Red Foot owner!
His name was Sheldon but I switched it to Bernadette. LOL If he/she ends up being a he, it'll be Bernie.
I had the same concerns, kind of...I was worried I was doing something wrong because she always ended up hiding like ALL the time unless I got her out to eat or soak or just hold her for a bit. Then she went right back to her hiding spot and slept. I thought it could possibly be because she is a baby but wanted to make sure it wasn't something I was or wasn't doing. After reading everything I can get my hands on on redfoots, it seems the enclosure is really good, she just likes to sleep and hide. I hope as she gets older this changes, at least comes out on her own to eat but I understand that will probably take a good year or so.