Getting a red foot in 2 weeks

Boneless

Location (City and/or State)
Florida
Hi all! I'm getting a red foot in 2 weeks from a breeder here in Florida and I'm trying to learn as much as I can before then.

Does anyone know any good books about Redfoot care I can buy?

Mystic_Queen (Llaria)

England,
Hi. You won’t need book with this site. There are some amazing people on here who will happily give you all the advice you need. There is a care sheet for red foots too with everything you need to know on there.

Ad a new red foot owner myself (I’ve had my pumpkin for 5 days) books are out dated and won’t do your tort any good. As long as you have a good UBV T5 tube and a heat bulb (no light on heat bulb as red foots don’t like light) plenty of hides. Humidity up to 80% on cool side and temp is 29/30c. A large enough closed enclosure to ensure humidity is kept up.
A water bowl the tort can get and out of. Aswell as food dish (terra cotta or slate work best) And cuttlefish Your be fine. Any questions tho fire away and one of the pros will help you out. Here’s my pumpkin in the pic. Welcome to the forum ☺️

Attachments

• 9676DF39-095D-4C56-AF27-EF1E53FD4D07.jpeg
    9676DF39-095D-4C56-AF27-EF1E53FD4D07.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 31

Boneless

Florida
Great! Thanks so much for the info. Can anyone direct me to the best care sheet on this forum? I saw two pinned, though one was a bit harder to read

Golden Greek Tortoise 567

Colorado Springs,CO

Mystic_Queen (Llaria)

England,

Boneless

Florida
So for food, Weeds and Leafy Greens. Which is great, my Beardie eats Leafy Greens - however, what "weeds" should I be feeding? My baby will be 2 weeks and a few days old when I get him or her.

Colorado Springs,CO
So for food, Weeds and Leafy Greens. Which is great, my Beardie eats Leafy Greens - however, what "weeds" should I be feeding? My baby will be 2 weeks and a few days old when I get him or her.
Mallow, clover, different types of flowers. Check out https://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/ it can tell you what’s safe for torts and what’s not.

Mystic_Queen (Llaria)

England,
There is an app you can download that tells you what is safe and what isn’t one of the well known members on here mentioned it to me. It’s called. The tortoise table. The picture on App Store is green background with a tortoise on it.

Colorado Springs,CO
There is an app you can download that tells you what is safe and what isn’t one of the well known members on here mentioned it to me. It’s called. The tortoise table. The picture on App Store is green background with a tortoise on it.
The tortoise table is also a website, they have an app which is easier to navigate

Mystic_Queen (Llaria)

England,
The tortoise table is also a website, they have an app which is easier to navigate
Toddrick mentioned the website and app to me. I prefer the app it is easier like you say to navigate.
there is also another app called. Picture this.
where if your not sure on what a plant is you can snap a pic and it tells you. Then all you have to do is look on the tort table to see if it’s safe.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Weeds and leafy greens aren't even a quarter of what your Redfoot can eat.
They have the widest, largest menu of any species. Flowers, fruit, mushrooms and protein is also part of it.
Things that would kill some other tortoises.
Are you in south Florida?
I have some unneeded lights, etc. But you'd have to be able to pick them up.

jeannettep

Texas
I use word to copy & paste info & care sheets from here, enlarge to read easier & print. If I condense it, I laminate it to keep with tort stuff. Otherwise I was sheet protectors & a binder.

Boneless

Florida
Weeds and leafy greens aren't even a quarter of what your Redfoot can eat.
They have the widest, largest menu of any species. Flowers, fruit, mushrooms and protein is also part of it.
Things that would kill some other tortoises.
Are you in south Florida?
I have some unneeded lights, etc. But you'd have to be able to pick them up.

I just meant those were like the main thing from what I saw :)

I love in Tampa, so probably nowhere bear you, but I have a lot of extra lights from my beardies (tube UVB, CHE) so I should be okay thank you!

Mystic_Queen (Llaria)

England,
Just a heads up. But my bearded dragons UVB is different from my torts.
I have a red foot and use a T5 12% UVB kit for tropical.
My dragon has a desert T5 kit.
just be careful and check what the UVB strengths are. This was a mistake I ALMOST made. As I had spare one. UVB strengths desert and tropical are slightly different and the tort may not get the full UVB it needs.
if I’m mistaken I hold my hands up.
but from what I gather you need the correct UVB for the tort.

Boneless

Florida
Just a heads up. But my bearded dragons UVB is different from my torts.
I have a red foot and use a T5 12% UVB kit for tropical.
My dragon has a desert T5 kit.
just be careful and check what the UVB strengths are. This was a mistake I ALMOST made. As I had spare one. UVB strengths desert and tropical are slightly different and the tort may not get the full UVB it needs.
if I’m mistaken I hold my hands up.
but from what I gather you need the correct UVB for the tort.

Oh I didnt even consider that! Well, I can certainly use the ballast and just go get a new tube UVB. Is it to 5.0?

Mystic_Queen (Llaria)

England,
Oh I didnt even consider that! Well, I can certainly use the ballast and just go get a new tube UVB. Is it to 5.0?
I have a 4 and a half foot enclosure. I use a T5 %12 UVB tropical kit with reflector. The UVB kit comes in different lengths Mine is 36 inch in length. She also has plenty of hides so she can escape. She has a damp side aswell. Humidity is 80% and temp is 29.5c/30c

Mystic_Queen (Llaria)

England,
I use a heat light. But it doesn’t give light if that makes sense. I had a lot of helpful tips from this forum before I got Pumpkin.
Red foots due to there nature don’t like light. So I made sure the heat bulb doesn’t give light but provides the heat she needs.