yay14

Location (City and/or State)
stockholm
Did not get any replies on other thread so i will try again haha. Hi everyone my yearling hermann tortoise has passed some gritty urates recently, It started around mid december and i made a post about and got recomendations to higher humidity soak more and spray food with water and i did all these thing there was just one problem, I had an open top enclossure so humidity was very hard to control. I have now covered the enclosure which i did about three weeks ago so around 7-8 januari so now the humidity is good 60-80 generally above 70-80 on cool side and above 60 on hot. But so now that everything with getting him hydrated should be good with twice a day soaks for 30 minutes high humidity and spraying water on food, he also has an humid hide So the urates should clear up right and the reason they are still gritty now after 3 weeks should be becuse of former conditions right since it was to dry? I think he has passed gritty urates twice since i covered the enclosure. So everything should clear up as long as I keep on doing what I am doing now?

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Yes it should get fine. I personally don't soak small tortoises twice a day. I believe some of us have a tendency to obsess and mess with them too much. At least that is my experience. :)I soak'em once a day. But that's a personal choice. You listen to the experts, not me.
In 2015 my 17 yr old Sulcata died from a baseball sized bladder stone, He drank from a doggie bowl when kept in his shed due to weather, he had a big 2 foot deep pool he swam in and soaked in and drank from all spring and Summer. I thought he was well hydrated, yet...
Right now I have a badly pyramided Sulcata given to me by the local wildlife rescue 4 years ago. She is petrified and I mean scared sh*tless of water. She has passed marble sized stones recently. I have always done different things to hydrate her including giving her sub-q fluids. Frankly, I am at a loss
100_6492.JPG

yay14

stockholm

yay14

stockholm
Yes it should get fine. I personally don't soak small tortoises twice a day. I believe some of us have a tendency to obsess and mess with them too much. At least that is my experience. :)I soak'em once a day. But that's a personal choice. You listen to the experts, not me.
In 2015 my 17 yr old Sulcata died from a baseball sized bladder stone, He drank from a doggie bowl when kept in his shed due to weather, he had a big 2 foot deep pool he swam in and soaked in and drank from all spring and Summer. I thought he was well hydrated, yet...
Right now I have a badly pyramided Sulcata given to me by the local wildlife rescue 4 years ago. She is petrified and I mean scared sh*tless of water. She has passed marble sized stones recently. I have always done different things to hydrate her including giving her sub-q fluids. Frankly, I am at a loss
View attachment 317153
Ok thats relieving that it's gonna be fine if i keep doing what i am doing and the reason he still gets some gritty urates now 3 weeks later are becuse of former misstakes which as you said should clear up now, Also that tort seems to be a real snow tort haha

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Ok thats relieving that it's gonna be fine if i keep doing what i am doing, Also that tort seems to be a real snow tort haha
Not really...lol...I walked her out to the snow, and plopped her down, she smell it and bit at it, but seemed afraid to move in the snow. So I hadda pick her up again and put her away.
that's Mary Knobbins

yay14

stockholm
Not really...lol...I walked her out to the snow, and plopped her down, she smell it and bit at it, but seemed afraid to move in the snow. So I hadda pick her up again and put her away.
that's Mary Knobbins
Haha. But so it's normal to still get some gritty urates couple of weeks after you fix what need fixing to stop the gritty urates

yay14

stockholm
that's Mary Knobbins
I just checked and it seems as my basking area/warmer area gets a bit dryer than i though low 50s high 40s moslty low 50s but the rest of the enclosure is 70 plus some times 80 plus. So is the humidity in the basking spot/warm area a problem?

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I just checked and it seems as my basking area/warmer area gets a bit dryer than i though low 50s high 40s moslty low 50s but the rest of the enclosure is 70 plus some times 80 plus. So is the humidity in the basking spot/warm area a problem?
cold temperatures with humidity is bad. You need a cool end of 75 to 80 and a basking area of 85-100
Haha. But so it's normal to still get some gritty urates couple of weeks after you fix what need fixing to stop the gritty urates
yes

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Did I forget to give you this care sheet? It's very important for you to read

yay14

stockholm
cold temperatures with humidity is bad. You need a cool end of 75 to 80 and a basking area of 85-100

yes
Oh well he does not have cold temps hes got 77-78 on his cold side and around 94-96 in his basking area and low 80s around the basking area i was just wondering if it was to dry in his warm/basking area and that the humidity there was high 40s low 50s mostly low 50s. Maybe i confused you when i talked about high 40 low 50s and all that i meant humidity level not temps

Last edited:

yay14

stockholm
Oh well he does not have cold temps hes got 77-78 on his cold side and around 94-96 in his basking area and low 80s around the basking area i was just wondering if it was to dry in his warm/basking area and that the humidity there was high 40s low 50s mostly low 50s. Maybe i confused you when i talked about high 40 low 50s and all that i meant humidity level not temps
Or well 94-96 thats the hottest part of his basking area but in general it's about 90-95 in his basking area.

Jan A

Boulder, CO
that's Mary Knobbins
I really love that tort, Maggie.