Growth rate question

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Maggie Cummings

Bob is 12 years old, 22 inches and 80 pounds. I think you have measured your animal wrong and must have his weight wrong also. How about a picture?

livingenzyme...I would supplement with some Mazuri and start feeding other things like softened squash as a treat. You are doing fine with him, but I agree he is a little behind but not much. So add the Mazuri and the squash and see what happens.

Why do you have a tracking device on him? Is your yard that big that you could lose him? Or is it just for fun? The duct tape on him is just not a good idea as it is going across growth lines and that could distort his growth and it's probably uncomfortable for him. Do you take it off at night?

livingenzyme

5 Year Member
Ya, I took off the tracking device as soon as I saw the first post suggesting so. Also, he's inside now that it's cold outside. I'm in the suburbs of Chicago. In the city now, actually. On my way home today I will stop by the market to get him some fresh greens and will definitely get mazuri. Actually, I'm in the process of setting up a bigger terrarium for him right now. It's definitely heated. I'm planting plants and cactuses.

When he's inside the house for the winter, and when I'm home, I occasionally let him walk around the kitchen area with the dogs. He's active enough. His size seems to be the only problem. I also soak him in warm water 2-3 times a week.

I have definitely noticed he got a little heavier over this last summer. Hopefully, he'll grow up some more. He's got the whole yard to fill.

About the tracking device, the reason I put it on him in the first place was I'm a paranoid person. I've checked a kazillion times to make sure he couldn't get out. And even then, I still get paranoid and want to find him every day. My yard has a lot of places to hide, so without the tracking device it would take me longer to find him. But you're right, I'll find some other way to track him. Duct tape doesn't look too healthy for him.

For now, he seems to blend in well with the dogs when I'm there. When I'm not there, I put him in his tank.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SoCal
Tom brought up a very good point last week. While driving back from the TTPG Phoenix Conference, he called me and we had a GREAT discussion about all kinds of topics. What caught my ear the most, was tortoise growth and logistics. It seems that AZ is the best place (outside of Africa) to raise leopards and sulcatas. I don't remember exactly what areas are best for what other species, but then I started wondering...how big are some of these guys (and gals) in other parts of the country (for those of you living abroad, please forgive me, but I don't plan to move out of the US for anything...but please feel free to chime in)?!?! I hope this isn't deemed as hijacking...just a little 'right turn' on the current subject-at-hand.;)

livingenzyme

5 Year Member
Oh come on, we all know that arizona folks regularly inject their sulcatas with growth hormones.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Az tortoise compound said:
AZ Growth Hormone= lots of green grass and sunshine

See!?!? The perfect example...and possibly the largest sulcata on the forum...Perseus!

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I will submit that it's the nighttime temperatures that make the biggest difference. In the summer we sometimes will have nights that stay in the low 90's, on average I don't think it ever gets below 85. I think this helps them digest their food faster, they have to eat more, and grow faster. I don't have the biggest leopards for sure, but they are big and growing fast!

Status
Not open for further replies.