Hand Sanitizer?

Nadean

Location (City and/or State)
Charleston, SC
what type of hand sanitizer should I use before and after handling my future tortoise?

Thanks in advance :tort:

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
If you use soap and water before you touch your tortoise it is all washed off anyway. I am usually more attentive about washing my hands between each tortoise, I don't want to spread germs between the two. I actually have a tortoise and a box turtle into separate enclosures so I want to not cross contaminate.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Don't use hand sanitizer unless you cannot get to water and soap. Don't use antibacterial soap. Just use whatever ordinary hand soap you prefer.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I don't use hand sanitizer, don't like the stuff in general. Practice basic hand washing and no problems should arise. I use soft soap coconut flavored (don't ask)

Killerrookie

I don't use hand sanitizer, don't like the stuff in general. Practice basic hand washing and no problems should arise. I use soft soap coconut flavored (don't ask)
Mmmm Strawberry Flavor :) haha no judgement

Heather H

N.E. ohio
here is my opinion with hand sanitizer...
you put on this alcohol based stuff, don't wash it off, so then you touch stuff, it is then spread to what you touch?
I don't use it and then work with any animal. I do use it if I am in public and I touch something .
I wash my hands before and after doing anything. I even wash before and after I use the restroom.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
No hand sanitizer here either. Just lots of hand washing with regular soap and warm water.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Antibacterial soaps do not work better than ordinary soap. Use can lead to antibiotic resistant bacteria. It's an endocrine disruptor, and bad for the environment.

I've probably left out a few more reasons.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Why not antibacterial? Just curious.

There is so much information available to review on the negative affects of the ingredients of these products and even moreover on the items that are not required to be disclosed in these products...good ole soap and water....when you wash--be sure to really lather up as this is the mechanism in which the dirt is lifted away from your skin and then rinse well as this is how those particles are then swept away from your body...