Hatchlings Shell develop

M.beaver

Location (City and/or State)
England
Hi everyone,
I’m really concerned about my Sulcata hatchlings health!
I’ve incubated some eggs from my adult female sulcata. I have had two successful babies and one is unfortunately not the same.
The baby was struggling to get out of the shell, with only its head being out. So with the advice on here i slowly helped it out.
It’s yolk also slightly erupted, and I also did exactly what was said on here.
All in all the baby seems perfectly okay, very active!
But the thing that concerns me is its shell :( as you can see from the photos, the back of the shell looks like there is a piece missing, that hasn’t developed. And the shape of the shell just doesn’t look right.
Throughout the incubation period the eggs had plenty of humidity, and my other two babies have lovely shells.
Can anyone shed some light on this and will this hatchling grow with a better shell over time.
Thank you!

Attachments

• 7CBA8047-167D-4011-9332-419A8438E843.jpeg
    7CBA8047-167D-4011-9332-419A8438E843.jpeg
    257.4 KB · Views: 13
  • 92B72487-F08A-4495-9EE8-CAD1F0B667E1.jpeg
    92B72487-F08A-4495-9EE8-CAD1F0B667E1.jpeg
    214.4 KB · Views: 12

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Oh wow, I have no idea why that would happen or if it will have any affect on his health/growth. My guess is he could do just fine. If not he likely would not live too long, maybe only months. Give him the best care in his own enclosure and see how it goes.

M.beaver

England
Oh wow, I have no idea why that would happen or if it will have any affect on his health/growth. My guess is he could do just fine. If not he likely would not live too long, maybe only months. Give him the best care in his own enclosure and see how it goes.
This was also my thoughts 😥 unfortunately he/she has developed like this in the shell. But It will definitely have the best life however long it may last! Thank you for your reply

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Something went wrong developmentally with this one.

Could be a lack of moisture, wrong temperature, inconsistent temperature, etc...