Have Tortoise Getting German Shepherd

Status
Not open for further replies.

FigueroaFamily

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Memphis, TN
Hi Everyone! New member to the forum. We have a 32 year old male tortoise named Tita (in my profile picture). We don't know what type of tortoise he is or even how to go about finding out what kind. My husband had his father but we don't know about the mother or anything. We don't take him to a vet because we are under the impression that tortoises are endangered and are afraid he will be taken away. Those are probably questions for another time. My question is this:

How do I introduce and acclimate a tortoise to a 10 year old male German Shepherd (Zeus)?

Now you should know that we don't have any other pets but Tita and he has the run of the apartment. We put him in the tub every other day (so he can drink and use the bathroom) but he basically thinks he owns the place. He can be viscious sometimes and his idea of play is toe biting! My husband is concerned that Tita will bite Zeus and draw blood.

Any ideas for us?

Thank you in advance!

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
Hi there, let me be the first (maybe ) to say WELCOME!!You'll get so much info here.
I'm sure if you post a good picture one of the experts here will identify what kind of tort you have. Having it for so long you must be doing something right! Congrats.
Dogs and torts are not usually a good match. I have hear of so many torts hurt and killed by the family pet because when you think if it, it could be a smelly hard chew toy, it moves and has something that smells like fish inside.
I'm sure you'll watch them carefully and make the right decision. An adult Shepard could easily chew up just about any tort.. Post a better picture.. Lets see what you have. Although I am sure someone here could tell you from your avatar.
Take care Na

Tortuga_terrestre

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Please post a larger picture of you tortoise to see the species. Now in the case of the German Shepherd..I have a similiar scenario. But I have a fence dividing my Shepherd REX (A Czech Import) from my tortoises. Rex has a alot of prey drive in him and Im sure he would chew them up. I have introduced him to my torts, but I wouldnt trust him without my supervision.

M

Maggie Cummings

I don't mean any disrespect, but how can you care for a tortoise when you don't know the specific species? Each species requires different care and heat and food. I can't see good enough in the picture so if you could post a bigger one these old eyes will be grateful. It is imperative you find out what kind he is, and nobody will take him away. If you're in Calif he's probably a Calif desert tortoise and they are endangered but it's alright to own them. You need to set him up in a way that is good for him, heat lights and food. His insides needs to be 85 to 90 degrees in order to metabolize the food. Your floor is too cold for him, I can't imagine how he has made it living that way. Does he go outside? How does he get UVB? What are you feeding him? Please post a bigger picture so we can help you with him.

Dogs look upon tortoises as chew toys and I would not in anyway allow them to be put together. A German Shepherd is a big enough dog to do terrible damage to that tortoise. I have seen it time and time again, mostly from people who say their dog is too well mannered to chew a tortoise...BS!

You will get differing opinions about the dog but the tortoise care advice will be the same. We are glad to help you but need to identify his species first. And I promise you no one is going to take him away. We just want him to get the best care possible and we are glad to help you give that to him...

Welcome to the forum...

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
you don't introduce a tortoise to a dog, a tortoise should never be left alone with a dog. You can browse the threads here and talk to many of us who have seen the results of dog vs tortoise. I am not saying you should not have a dog and a tortoise I do, but they almost never come in contact with each other, and when they do I am there they are never left alone. My turtle club has many victims of "good dogs" or "trained dogs" who have chewed on a tortoise. Welcome to the forum and pics of the tortoise will help ID it so you can provide proper care for it.

FigueroaFamily

5 Year Member
Memphis, TN
Here he is. Thank you for your advice.

dmmj said:
you don't introduce a tortoise to a dog, a tortoise should never be left alone with a dog. You can browse the threads here and talk to many of us who have seen the results of dog vs tortoise. I am not saying you should not have a dog and a tortoise I do, but they almost never come in contact with each other, and when they do I am there they are never left alone. My turtle club has many victims of "good dogs" or "trained dogs" who have chewed on a tortoise. Welcome to the forum and pics of the tortoise will help ID it so you can provide proper care for it.

My husband has had him since he was 3. Tita's father was in Puerto Rico but we don't know if he was from there. My husband grew up in NY. We feed him fruits and vegetables. We put powder tortoise vitamins and calcium on his food. He has always roamed around and is very active. We have let him out on the porch during the Memphis summer which he loved. He also stands by an open windo for his Vitamin D.

maggie3fan said:
I don't mean any disrespect, but how can you care for a tortoise when you don't know the specific species? Each species requires different care and heat and food. I can't see good enough in the picture so if you could post a bigger one these old eyes will be grateful. It is imperative you find out what kind he is, and nobody will take him away. If you're in Calif he's probably a Calif desert tortoise and they are endangered but it's alright to own them. You need to set him up in a way that is good for him, heat lights and food. His insides needs to be 85 to 90 degrees in order to metabolize the food. Your floor is too cold for him, I can't imagine how he has made it living that way. Does he go outside? How does he get UVB? What are you feeding him? Please post a bigger picture so we can help you with him.

Dogs look upon tortoises as chew toys and I would not in anyway allow them to be put together. A German Shepherd is a big enough dog to do terrible damage to that tortoise. I have seen it time and time again, mostly from people who say their dog is too well mannered to chew a tortoise...BS!

You will get differing opinions about the dog but the tortoise care advice will be the same. We are glad to help you but need to identify his species first. And I promise you no one is going to take him away. We just want him to get the best care possible and we are glad to help you give that to him...

Welcome to the forum...

Attachments

• Tita.jpg
    Tita.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 89
  • Tita.jpg
    Tita.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 68

zzzdanz

5 Year Member
Boston
Eastern box turtle with a horribly over grown beak

FigueroaFamily

5 Year Member
Memphis, TN
It was actually bigger but he used the refrigerator door one day to sharpen it. How can you tell he is an Eastern Box Turtle and not a toritoise?

zzzdanz said:
Eastern box turtle with a horribly over grown beak

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Looks like a box turtle to me with an overgrown beak. That can be taken care of with time and patience, what is it's diet like?

FigueroaFamily

5 Year Member
Memphis, TN
We feed him fruits and vegetables. We put powder tortoise vitamins and calcium on his food.

dmmj said:
Looks like a box turtle to me with an overgrown beak. That can be taken care of with time and patience, what is it's diet like?

I attached pictures on another part of the thread. I have video of him too but I don't have it posted anywhere but Facebook.

Marty333 said:
Can we see pictures of Tita? Also the only advice I can give you about the dog is to supervise Tita when you have him out around Zeus. I really doubt anything will happen if you are supervising the situation.

I am reading about them online. Description really fits him.

terryo said:
Welcome to the forum.....Looks like an Eastern Boxie to me too.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Well, he made it for 32 years, so you must be doing something right. I would have his beak taken care of so he can eat better. Do you give him any protein...worms, bugs...etc?

FigueroaFamily

5 Year Member
Memphis, TN
Very rarely we feed him cheese and turkey. He gets really agressive when we give him the turkey so we avoid it.

dmmj said:

Occasionally we give him turkey but it makes him really agressive. He took a huge chunk of the beak off by using the refrigerator door. I came home one day and he looked weird! Then I saw a big chunk on the floor!

terryo said:
Well, he made it for 32 years, so you must be doing something right. I would have his beak taken care of so he can eat better. Do you give him any protein...worms, bugs...etc?

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Here's one onf my Eastern Box Turtles in a turtle garden. They need to walk on soil, flat rocks to eat on to keep their beak short.....a natural place to call home, where they can dig for their own worms, bugs...etc. Walking on natural substrate also keeps their nails short. Do you have a garden for yours, or does he always stay in your house? He is a nice looking boxie, but needs a little help with his nails and beak, IMHO.
027-13.jpg

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Welcome, No dog should be left alone with a tortoise or turtle.

S

Scooter

I agree dogs and tortoises do not mix, I have seen a dog try to pick a tort up, not chew on him or try to eat him, just pick him up and cause damage to the shell. I also agree the beak and nails are long but that is pretty easy to fix. Welcome to the forum you will get great advice here!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Figueroa Family:

May we know your name...or should I call you Mrs. Figueroa?

Welcome to the forum!!

Yes, you have a little eastern box turtle. I don't know the laws in Tennessee, but since you've had Tita for such a long time, I would think he would be "grandfathered" and it would be ok for you to have him. Don't worry about taking him to a vet for his beak and nails to be trimmed. Most vets don't worry about whether an animal is illegal or not. He will be much more comfortable with his beak and nails trimmed. Do you have a place where Tita can go to warm up?

As for the dog and the turtle. That's going to be a tough problem because the dog WILL chew the turtle. You can count on it. Can you build Tita a habitat? Maybe you can buy a used book case, take out the shelves and lay it on its back. If you put it up on a table or some blocks maybe the dog can't reach it. Put in some dirt, a hiding place some plants and a light. I know you've had Tita for a very long time and he is used to living in the whole house, but with the dog, its a better idea to give the turtle his own place...a place where the dog can't reach him.

FigueroaFamily

5 Year Member
Memphis, TN
My name is Ariel. I am at a loss for what to do. We were more concerned with what to do if Tita bit the dog. He has been in the house with 2 other dogs at different times according to my husband. This was years ago back in NY. He said that they really didn't interact. Tita goes in the tub and he hides. He loves having free reign. The carpet could be warm but he prefers to sleep on either the kitchen floor or the bathroom floor where it is cooler. We moved to Memphis where it is humid all year round about 2 years ago. He hasn't hibernated since we got here and he is so active and full of life. He is a good eater. This is an older dog we are getting from friends. If we don't take him he will be put down. Maybe if we put Tita in our walk in closet (which has lots of places to hide) when we leave the house and close the door they should be okay. When we are home (this is a small apartment) they will be under constant supervision. We usually put Tita in the closet when workers come in.

emysemys said:
Hi Figueroa Family:

May we know your name...or should I call you Mrs. Figueroa?

Welcome to the forum!!

Yes, you have a little eastern box turtle. I don't know the laws in Tennessee, but since you've had Tita for such a long time, I would think he would be "grandfathered" and it would be ok for you to have him. Don't worry about taking him to a vet for his beak and nails to be trimmed. Most vets don't worry about whether an animal is illegal or not. He will be much more comfortable with his beak and nails trimmed. Do you have a place where Tita can go to warm up?

As for the dog and the turtle. That's going to be a tough problem because the dog WILL chew the turtle. You can count on it. Can you build Tita a habitat? Maybe you can buy a used book case, take out the shelves and lay it on its back. If you put it up on a table or some blocks maybe the dog can't reach it. Put in some dirt, a hiding place some plants and a light. I know you've had Tita for a very long time and he is used to living in the whole house, but with the dog, its a better idea to give the turtle his own place...a place where the dog can't reach him.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Ariel:

That's too bad about the dog, and so good of you and your husband to take it in.

Many people have dogs and turtles, but you have to on your guard at all times, and NEVER leave the dog and turtle alone in the house.

Good luck with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.