Considering a German shepherd

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pacific NorthWET
Kara said:
Definitely NOT the same litter. Jake, left, is about 15. We don't know Melvin's, right, exact age, but he's much younger. Regardless of where they came from, 2 exceptionally good dogs. Of course, I'm biased. :rolleyes:

I've been told the 'DNA for mutts' tests are useless. Is this true?

Pretty much. AKC has the only one that will hold up in court. But I've seen the results of many, and I think they are a gimik. Always seems to be some obscure breed within four generations, and the likeliness of that obscure breed running around loose and intact, let alone even in the area....are slim. Like the pharaoh hound mix recently. I know many, many pharaohs...and this dog didn't have a drop of Pharaoh in it. It happened to have large prick years, pointed muzzle,, long legs and a lot of tuck up. Looked like a GSD mix to me...with LOTS of black pigment...no pigment in Pharaohs. [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

I am the "breed Nazi" at work, and when people bring in a new pet, I get called up to guestimate the breed. I ALWAYS go with my first, brief impression. The reason is, speaking reform experience, if Animal Control or a Good Sam call about a stray dog, they will state the most obvious breed they see in it...Lab Mix, Shepard Mix, pit mix......
And same for me, if an owner calls that their dog is missing, I need to be able to closely describe the dog, or a hit by car brought in.

Once, my second day on a new CVT job, I was told to go back and get the Ridgeback and bring up to owner. I walked back, no RR. Came up front, told yes, the RR named "xxxx" (don't recall), I walked back, found cage card with that name, and saw a cute, tan, female pit bull. By no stretch of the imagination was this a RR. Ugh. Case-n-point.

TommyZ said:
My vicious killing machine....yall scared yet? Lol. Big guy rolls over and shows belly to my 5 LB Birman cat, lmao

OH MY DOG! I wanna grab those lips!!!!

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
DNA tests are useless. You can YouTube video testimonies of people sharing their stories. They send in the blood of their AKC champion purebreed and it comes back as a mix of blah blah etc. It is kinda funny.

Rebecca, adopting an older dog with Tom helping you assess behaviors is probably the best way to go. In many aspects you'll know exactly what you are getting. :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
TommyZ said:
My vicious killing machine....yall scared yet? Lol. Big guy rolls over and shows belly to my 5 LB Birman cat, lmao

Um, no. Just would be waiting for the tongue bath. I know,the love they have for licking:D

Sulcata_Sandy said:
Kara said:
Definitely NOT the same litter. Jake, left, is about 15. We don't know Melvin's, right, exact age, but he's much younger. Regardless of where they came from, 2 exceptionally good dogs. Of course, I'm biased. :rolleyes:

I've been told the 'DNA for mutts' tests are useless. Is this true?

Pretty much. AKC has the only one that will hold up in court. But I've seen the results of many, and I think they are a gimik. Always seems to be some obscure breed within four generations, and the likeliness of that obscure breed running around loose and intact, let alone even in the area....are slim. Like the pharaoh hound mix recently. I know many, many pharaohs...and this dog didn't have a drop of Pharaoh in it. It happened to have large prick years, pointed muzzle,, long legs and a lot of tuck up. Looked like a GSD mix to me...with LOTS of black pigment...no pigment in Pharaohs. [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

I am the "breed Nazi" at work, and when people bring in a new pet, I get called up to guestimate the breed. I ALWAYS go with my first, brief impression. The reason is, speaking reform experience, if Animal Control or a Good Sam call about a stray dog, they will state the most obvious breed they see in it...Lab Mix, Shepard Mix, pit mix......
And same for me, if an owner calls that their dog is missing, I need to be able to closely describe the dog, or a hit by car brought in.

Once, my second day on a new CVT job, I was told to go back and get the Ridgeback and bring up to owner. I walked back, no RR. Came up front, told yes, the RR named "xxxx" (don't recall), I walked back, found cage card with that name, and saw a cute, tan, female pit bull. By no stretch of the imagination was this a RR. Ugh. Case-n-point.

TommyZ said:

OH MY DOG! I wanna grab those lips!!!!

Personally, I don't know anyone that has done it. I always doubted them, but had no proof. I'm sure it depends on who is doing it, not sure. But let's not forget, most breeds started as mutts. Even a good breeder can have a throw back pop up. I do wish I could make a living at detecting the species making those mutts. I'd be rich. I'm sure most of us that have done a lot within the dog world are probably good at detecting the species. Just wish the rescues could:(

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
I've had a lifetime of working with many different breeds in many capacities. And as a handler, I attended as many breed seminars/judging seminars as possible. Most breeds have a distinct breed type that will be expressed when breed to a different breed. I can see the characteristic jaw lines/feet, coat, pigmentation, even nails! But it's been a lifetime of experience that built that up...plus a very strong interest in different breeds and why they are the way they are...breed anthropology. Am very proud to be a part of one of the original six breeds. And my dogs are included in the research project. I'm fascinated by the new canine discoveries.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Yvonne G said:
Hi Rebecca:

Regardless of what kind of dog you get, a purebred or a mutt from the pound, plan on making the dog a member of the family. Don't get a dog that's going to be a back yard dog. Get one that's going to live in the house with you and your family.

My dog only goes outside when I do. She's never alone with any of the tortoises. I know she'd chew on them in a minute if left to her own devices. But ever since I've had her, she's lived in the house with me. She is so tuned in to my moods, understands what I say to her and is a very good watch dog.

A dog that lives most of its life outside by itself, with only the occasional visit from the human, will not have the same 'intelligence' that a family member dog has.

This bears repeating, over and over. I couldn't agree more.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Sulcata_Sandy said:
I've had a lifetime of working with many different breeds in many capacities. And as a handler, I attended as many breed seminars/judging seminars as possible. Most breeds have a distinct breed type that will be expressed when breed to a different breed. I can see the characteristic jaw lines/feet, coat, pigmentation, even nails! But it's been a lifetime of experience that built that up...plus a very strong interest in different breeds and why they are the way they are...breed anthropology. Am very proud to be a part of one of the original six breeds. And my dogs are included in the research project. I'm fascinated by the new canine discoveries.

Yep, I know. That's why I would be rich. If I could get paid for it:D

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
wellington said:
Sulcata_Sandy said:

Yep, I know. That's why I would be rich. If I could get paid for it:D

I sure wish I could make munneh off my Breed Nazi skills. Until then, I keep plugging along as a vet tech, making far below the national poverty level. [GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
If you go for a rescue, you have to accept the risks that go along with that. Questionable health and temperament quirks that come from a possible less than ideal past.
If you go with a purebred, I agree with Barb and Sandy. Do your homework and find a reputable breeder. You can separate the good and bad with a few questions. Especially with Shepherds. I tend to gravitate towards show breeders, only because they breed for themselves and the future generations. But I wouldn't give a plug nickel for an American show bred GSD's today. Most ppl that I know with decent GSD have old time American lines geared towards performance, and with a dose of German blood.
YOU MUST ASK IF ALL APPROPRIATE GENETIC TESTING HAS BEEN DONE. And how many generations they have been free of hip dysplasia. That goes for any breed but GSD's really have their problems as has been stated. But so do Std Poodles. Definitely ask about the genetics and health with any breed. But a good breeder will likely be touting all this regarding their own dogs before you even have to ask.
You might want to think about an Airedale or boxer. German boxers are phenomenal. A nice mid sized breed would be a standard Schnauzer. Thoughtful, brave, devoted.
That said, here are pictures of my black GSD cross. She was abandoned, along with one other blk/tan, behind the animal hospital next to my shop. Both were grown pups estimated to be 8 or so months.
It was evident that she was only ever tied to a tree and maybe crated. She knew nothing of things outside of a back yard. I had to keep a leash on her for weeks after I brought her home, even in the house, so I could catch her. She was extremely traumatized by the abandonment, and afraid of everything and everyone. Took MONTHS to get her gut straightened out. I have had her hips Xray'd and so far so good.
My house is now decorated with a constant stream of black dust bunnies. And she does bark a bit too much sometimes. But she is pretty obedient (2 years of classes), and gives me a great feeling of security.
I did do DNA testing and it came back as 3/4 GSD and 1/4 Golden Ret. I have no reason to doubt this.
She is around 5 years now and I truly consider her a gift, even though I nearly got a divorce for bringing her home when we already had 7 dogs. Gulp!
She is so patient with the Bengals, Poodles, and Lowchen. They all just love the big lug!

Attachments

• 1383973225669.jpg
    1383973225669.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 30
  • 1383975581557.jpg
    1383975581557.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 32

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I don't think they are for everyone. And neither are Basenjis!

Totally agree....Basenji tend to be a dog on the edge---although I do love the sounds they generate...

blood of their AKC champion purebreed and it comes back as a mix of blah blah

I don't know of any purebred that did not establish itself by means of initial mixture of a variety of breeds until the desired result is achieved....

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
Basenjis are not for everyone. They are very intelligent, problem solvers, and need a lot of tough love or they will rule the house. But they are unusually affectional, snuggley, devoted, clean, quiet and healthy. They are not like any other breed, and are very primitive. 6000+ years old.

When I get a puppy inquiry, I actually try to talk people out of them, and if they still want one, then I tell them all the incredible and unique traits they have. They are challenging...and I love a challenge.

Mine are not at all aloof with strangers, they are attention whores, and work everyone they meet for snuggles and head scratches. Most of mine are off leash dogs, and can be left at home for 10 hours loose. Definitely not the norm, but I've worked very hard on my breeding program. Hence why I push for people to really screen breeders when buying a pup. Not all breeding programs are created equal. I always have a waiting list. I had a couple wait 4 years for me to produce them a female.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Basenjis are not for everyone.

Absolutely....and please don't get me wrong, they are smart--physically quick---tenacious and absolutely a gorgeous animal...

I have met a few in my life and each individuals that also carry common characteristics....

But this breed takes a particular personality to create and demand the platform for harmony...but the same goes for some of the stronger breeds...you know?

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Re: RE: Considering a German shepherd

ascott said:
[
blood of their AKC champion purebreed and it comes back as a mix of blah blah

I don't know of any purebred that did not establish itself by means of initial mixture of a variety of breeds until the desired result is achieved....

Exactly! That's why the test doesn't work :D

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
I have had fantastic experiences with German shepherds!

120nv5f.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Sulcata_Sandy said:
Basenjis are not for everyone. They are very intelligent, problem solvers, and need a lot of tough love or they will rule the house. But they are unusually affectional, snuggley, devoted, clean, quiet and healthy. They are not like any other breed, and are very primitive. 6000+ years old.

When I get a puppy inquiry, I actually try to talk people out of them, and if they still want one, then I tell them all the incredible and unique traits they have. They are challenging...and I love a challenge.

Mine are not at all aloof with strangers, they are attention whores, and work everyone they meet for snuggles and head scratches. Most of mine are off leash dogs, and can be left at home for 10 hours loose. Definitely not the norm, but I've worked very hard on my breeding program. Hence why I push for people to really screen breeders when buying a pup. Not all breeding programs are created equal. I always have a waiting list. I had a couple wait 4 years for me to produce them a female.

They are not snuggling. They are trying to get WARM in your refrigerator-like climate !!! :p :p :p

HA! GOTCHA!

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
How about a beagle? :) :) lol
We rescued this adorable guy!.....look at that face! Just wanted to show him off! As you can tell, he is not the typical hunting beagle. lol
He is a spoiled house beagle!!!!! :)

Attachments

• YU2GRHTNHV.jpg
    YU2GRHTNHV.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 30
  • 20130914_103104.jpg
    20130914_103104.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 29

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
luvpetz27 said:
We rescued this adorable guy!.....look at that face!

Beagles can be great dogs, but I think not so intimidating to SF Valley bike thieves...

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Tom said:
luvpetz27 said:
We rescued this adorable guy!.....look at that face!

Beagles can be great dogs, but I think not so intimidating to SF Valley bike thieves...

Ha! You got that right! :) That's why I wrote LOL.....
Just wanted to show him to you guys! :)

jerm42991

5 Year Member
I have had a 3 German Shepard, Doberman, American Indian, Scottish Terrier, Australian Shepard, husky, Bernese Mountain, and 2 pound muts over my life time.

My 2 favorites were my first mut that I grew up with and one of my male Shepards. I would highly recommend either one.

My Bernese was great but unfortunately died at 3 due to cancer, one of the problems with that breed. But he was incredible for those few years

Here are some pics I can find
ImageUploadedByTortForum1384006043.796426.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1384006051.434484.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1384006059.056644.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1384006066.632242.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1384006083.194291.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1384006129.760661.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1384006162.412523.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
jerm42991 said:
I have had a 3 German Shepard, Doberman, American Indian, Scottish Terrier, Australian Shepard, husky, Bernese Mountain, and 2 pound muts over my life time.

My 2 favorites were my first mut that I grew up with and one of my male Shepards. I would highly recommend either one.

My Bernese was great but unfortunately died at 3 due to cancer, one of the problems with that breed. But he was incredible for those few years

Here are some pics I can find

Beautiful dogs!!!!
So sorry about your Bernese...:(

peasinapod

5 Year Member
Switzerland
The typical guard dogs around here, especially for farms and such, are Saint Bernard, Appenzeller Sennenhund and Bernese Mountain Dog.

(Stereotype times 10'000'000! :) )