Considering a German shepherd

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles, CA
Hubby and I have been talking about getting a dog for a while now. Or I should say, I've been asking and he's been saying 'maybe' for a while now.

This week someone broke into our garage while we were both home and stole hubby's bike. Kinda freaked us out, and confirmed our feelings that if we do get a dog we'd like to get one that would be a good protector. Hubby grew up with a German shepherd, whom he loved dearly.

Does anyone out there have experience with the breed to share?

We have two juvenile CDTs-- whom we also love dearly and have NO desire to see ending up as chew toys. Clearly we would need to do some serious preparation to dog-proof their enclosures.

My one reservation about getting a dog is the DTs. Though they have enclosures, they also have run of the yard when we're outside to supervise them. I'd hate for them to lose that space.

Can't decide. Bless them, those little DTs didn't bark when the robber came. :D

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
We've had three way back when I was a kid. I have known two others. My personal opinion is they are not a breed to buy from just anyone. Although I believe a bad dog is really a good dog with a bad owner. I also believe a bad owner can also be a bad breeder. They are not a breed to buy from a back yard breeder. Do your home work and search for a good breeder, with good sound stable lines. It won't be cheap, but in the long run it will be worth it. Also, be sure the parents are OFA certified. As for your torts, yes, you will have to be sure they are safe. One Shepard we had killed my rabbit, two of them, we think by grabbing at their feet through the chicken wire.:(. I don't know how she did it. They were in two separate pens and they each had a hut with a wood floor to go into. Some how she managed, never really figured out exactly how. She also never showed any interest in them before that, ever. Never even thought she knew they were there. Another one that my aunt and uncle had, that we new forever, when we were kids, years ago, bit my sister. We were all just standing around while our parents talked, and he jumped up and bit her. Not bad, but still. No explanation why. So, training and good tortoise protection is a must. Good bloodlines should be too. My experience, my opinion.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have been working with GSDs for more than 20 years now. I know that some people love them, and I love what they used to be, but I cannot recommend them any more. Consider these things: 95% of them have some degree of hip dysplasia. Only the St. Bernard is worse with 98%. I see skin, digestive and temperament problems with almost all of them. Remember what they were made for. To bite people. If you don't show them when and how to do this, their instincts will tell them for you. When you see a good one, man they are really good. I just see so few good ones anymore.

The two breeds I recommend the most for pets in a typical household are the standard poodle and the great dane. Both of these breeds usually turn out to be good family dogs with little effort and time on the part of the owner. If you actually dedicate some time, money and effort to training, they will turn out even better. The poodle can have a "regular" cut and doesn't have to have a foo foo look, and it has the advantage of being hypo-allergenic. Both of these breeds are somewhat protective, with good instincts and some natural suspicion of strangers, but are not prone to biting the neighbor's kid for no reason and getting you sued.

In the end, any breed can work. Some breeds are just a bit easier than others.

If you get a puppy, PLEASE call me for some tips. There are some common mistakes that most people make that are very easy to avoid. You guys were great and I'd love to help you.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Millerlite said:
I've always been fans if Australia shepards, and border collies.

Both great breeds, but due to their active nature and supreme intelligence they require A LOT of time and effort. If people have that kind of time and interest they can be the best dogs ever.

wellington said:
Another one that my aunt and uncle had, that we new forever, when we were kids, years ago, bit my sister. We were all just standing around while our parents talked, and he jumped up and bit her. Not bad, but still. No explanation why.

This is the sort of thing I see regularly out of today's german shepards. Even trained ones.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The perfect dog is the Chinese Shar-Pei. If you don't get one from again, a backyard breeder, but then that goes for every breed. They potty train themselves. Fairly easy to train. Standoffish to strangers, will protect you and house. Can be a couch potato, but also likes to,have fun, just not too much when it's really hot. The eye and skin problems, not from a good breeder and no you don't have to always wash between their wrinkles. Oh and most people are so ignorant, they think they are a pit and are afraid of them:D. Yes, I am partial to them. I used to raise and show them and one day soon will have another. I will never stray from them again:D

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Buying from a reputable breeder with good lines is so important. Not just the CL ad of a family who's pet had puppies.
This is a controversial topic but if you want to know more google it a bit or ask.

I think of 3 things above all else with the GSD...
1, hair
2, Hair
3, HAIR
Some don't mind but I could never!

I've had Great Danes. Good dogs and very good deterrents (especially black or brindle with a crop) but not everyone can handle their size.

We are dogless right now but when we are ready we plan on getting a doberman :)

About your DTs loosing yard space.. Remember that a dog can be around the tort. Never UNSUPERVISED is the key. If you are sitting outside watching the torts roam the yard, Fido can be there, too. If you go inside to answer the phone or use the bathroom, take Fido with you.

And like you said you'll dog proof their enclosures, so no worries there.

Good luck choosing your guard dog :D

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
Thanks for all the very helpful replies, everyone! Tom, I was gonna PM you if you didn't chime in. I was very curious to hear your take! Marty still talks about the fabulous Great Dane we met at your place.

The police officer who came out to our house referred us to a GS rescue in Burbank, where he said he got his dog. He had a good experience there, but he's a cop so maybe he got the inside track on a particularly good dog. We certainly don't want a random biter, or some poor thing with a lot of health problems.

We do like the idea of getting a rescue dog in need of a home, though. And we hadn't considered a puppy. We were thinking dogs at least a year or two old.

The hair thing with GS's is a deterrent. But ideally our dog would spend a lot of his time outdoors. We have a large, grassy back yard with 8-foot concrete walls. The yard is positively begging to have a dog out there running after tennis balls or bird watching under the ficus trees.

It's good to know that, while of course we would never let dog and torts be alone unsupervised, we could all enjoy our back yard time together. The torts like to follow us around while we do our yard work, and sit under in the shade of our lawn chairs while we lounge. I'd miss that, and I think they would miss their free range days.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I know that rescue in Burbank. One of my mentors used to help them with behavioral issues and he was a part of their organization. He had to walk away because of some of the things going on.

Its not impossible to find a good shep. Its just difficult and unlikely.

Everyone is right about finding the right breeder, but here is the problem: Just like the sulcata breeder that has been doing it 20 years and tells you all about how they are a desert species and you should keep them dry to simulate their natural environment (opposite of the truth for anyone reading who didn't already know this), all these dog breeders talk a good game too. They know what to say and how to say it. They know how to put on that good show and make that sale. In my experience with most breeds, you will get the best dog from some small time backyard breeder who doesn't have a website and actually works or competes with their dogs in field trials or some sort of sport, like agility for example.

I don't know how any person who does not do what I do professionally, and has not been doing it for years with all the mistakes (read: "learning opportunities") that go along with it is supposed to discern what constitutes a "good" breeder. There are the obvious things like filth or emaciation that would denote a "bad" breeder, but how does one evaluate and "know" a good breeder whose dogs will turn out with a naturally "good" temperament as an adult?

I think the shelter dog is a good idea. I also think bringing in an experienced professional who likes you and your husband to help you guys evaluate what you are getting might be helpful to. I happen to know a guy that fits that description and would be willing to help. :)

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
Hahaha whenever I decide to get a dog, I'll be sure to contact you, Tom! :) I would not be able to tell who is a 'good' breeder.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
My vote is without a doubt a homeless dog. Whether you are looking for a puppy or an adult you can find one at a shelter or through a rescue. And you can adopt a mixed breed (my personal favorites!) or a purebred. I always encourage adoption!

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
Haha, Tom, we would be delighted to have you as our personal canine advisor! :D It's like having Mario Andretti help you pick out your car!

I still have more work to do to wear Marty down. The two things that have advanced my dog cause in the last several months are this bike theft and our visit to Tom's ranch of wonder.

He's worried he'll end up doing all the care with the dog, cause he works from home and I sometimes have long hours and business travel. It's a fair concern. With the torts he had no choice -- the neighbor dumped them on us and we fell in love and felt responsible for them. Obviously they don't need nearly the same level of attention. Although now I get texts at work about the size of the poops in their soaks or renovations to their enclosures. He's such a sucker. :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't agree with the back yard breeder. My definition though, of a back yard breeder is one that breeds to make money. They are a little better then the puppy mills, but that's not saying much. They breed to whoever is the cheapest. No research, no concern for medical problems in the lines. No concern with mental problems in the lines. A true good breeder is very hard to find, I agree, because most are in it for the money. A good breeder does not make money, they loose money or if lucky, break even. They do it (breed) for the love of the breed and to better the breed they are working with. They don't have a lot of different breeds, two or three tops, but usually one or two. The breeding is done with the intent of breeding out the flaws, physical and mental. You can visit them any time, no appointment needed and they will be able to overwhelm you with info about their dogs and the breed in no time. They almost always show their dogs, belong and are active in a club and almost always show their own dogs. These dogs are usually their family pets and does not live in a kennel housing a bunch of dogs. Now that said, and the reason a backyard breeder is not the way, is because with all the work a good breeder puts into breeding the correct dogs, things can still not work out the way all the research showed it would. Now imagine someone just breeding whatever to whatever, with no research at all. Yes, they could get lucky, but they don't very often at all. Finding a good breeder takes time and research. The best way to start is with a breeder at a show in your area that does not breed the kind of dog your looking for. The politics in the dog showing world is horrendous. If a show/breeder will recommend someone, that someone must be pretty good. Once you have a name or two, then contact other show/breeders of the breed you want, that is not in close proximity of your location, make it clear you do not want to have the dog shipped and that you want it within driving range and see if those same breeder names you got the first time ever comes up and how many times they come up. There is a way, it's just not easy. In the end though, it's worth it more then it's not.
As for rescues, a mutt would be the best. They are loyal and usually the healthiest. For a purebred rescue, go to a rescue that only rescues that breed. Oh and never, ever, ever, buy from a pet store. Dogs are one animal that needs a law to keep them out of pet stores! These are not just my opinions without experience. I worked in the dog world back in the 80's and 90's in every way I can think of. I have had a passion for dogs and to learn about them, well probably since I was born. They are my number one love. Good luck with whatever breed or mutt you get. Be sure to share him or her with us:)

TigsMom

5 Year Member
Arizona
My Mom adopted my Furry Sister from Orange County German Shepard Rescue and couldn't be happier. She's had Annie for a couple of years now. Some of Mom's friends have adopted from them as well and all are more than thrilled as well. Here's a link to their website if you'd like to get more info: http://www.gsroc.org/2013/

[email protected]

10 Year Member!
Tom said:
I have been working with GSDs for more than 20 years now. I know that some people love them, and I love what they used to be, but I cannot recommend them any more. Consider these things: 95% of them have some degree of hip dysplasia. Only the St. Bernard is worse with 98%. I see skin, digestive and temperament problems with almost all of them. Remember what they were made for. To bite people. If you don't show them when and how to do this, their instincts will tell them for you. When you see a good one, man they are really good. I just see so few good ones anymore.

The two breeds I recommend the most for pets in a typical household are the standard poodle and the great dane. Both of these breeds usually turn out to be good family dogs with little effort and time on the part of the owner. If you actually dedicate some time, money and effort to training, they will turn out even better. The poodle can have a "regular" cut and doesn't have to have a foo foo look, and it has the advantage of being hypo-allergenic. Both of these breeds are somewhat protective, with good instincts and some natural suspicion of strangers, but are not prone to biting the neighbor's kid for no reason and getting you sued.

In the end, any breed can work. Some breeds are just a bit easier than others.

If you get a puppy, PLEASE call me for some tips. There are some common mistakes that most people make that are very easy to avoid. You guys were great and I'd love to help you.

I totally agree with you!!!!.
I offer animal therapy in Los Angeles and this breed is not the first choice i would choose. I love them too. but too many issues.
Annette

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Not that this would be a breed for everyone...but have always been partial to Old English Mastiff.....great personality and very loyal and easy going....but a fantastic bark and menacing appearance....while they are not generally a biter----I would not recommend them around a household with small children--only because their size can be hazardous in the event they decide to sit or lay on a little one....they don't need much space contrary to what some folks may think...they do though have their own potential health issues---eyes, bones and hip display --although you can up the odds with a certified exam....

wiccan_chicken

5 Year Member
Georgia
I also recommend a mutt from the local pound. I have two and my girls are getting there in age but are good medium sized dogs, no health problems in the 13 years I have had them except Naomi has Heart worms (being treated) And my two are great dogs. Pure dogs are great, I'd love to own a few. But I'm a sucker for a mutt <3

dds7155

5 Year Member
I have not been without a German shepherd for thirty years myself, also when i was at home we always had one or two, in the sixties my oldest brother was on the dog squad in the Memphis Police dept, these day,i see what Tom is talking about with skin and hips , my shepherd is 10 now and since about age one we had to give him allergy shots , hips are great but Allergy's are the worse,,, since it's only my wife and myself we will always have a German Shepherd ,, they want to learn and please you ,and protect ,,,

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
I love mutts from the pound, also!
I think rescues ( who often et their dogs out of the pound) have good insight into particular dogs behaviors and needs. They sometimes know where the dog came from, some have the dogs in foster homes, which can let you know if the dog has barking, digging, food aggression issues, etc.
we currently have 4 dogs, ages 9 1/2 to 14. Three are fabulous rescues. I could not want for better dogs.
I have had well bred Rottweilers and a Boxer which were great. They were bred well and training and socialization was started at 2 1/2 months.
Getting a dog is always a good idea, if you have the time to incorporate him into your life.
Good luck!!!

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!
German shepard MUTTS are the absolute best dog you can have. I've had quite a few, but Max, my corgi/ German mutt was by far the best. He was like a weinny German Shepard!