1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Hello! (Sulcata owner)

Discussion in 'Sulcata tortoises' started by catnipbowser0810, Aug 27, 2019.

Help Support Tortoise Forums by donating:

1. catnipbowser0810

catnipbowser0810 New Member

Location (City and/or State):
    Haslett MI
    Hello everyone,

My name is Ryan and this last Saturday me and my wife purchased a baby Sulcata for the first time. I have always had a love for turtles/tortoises ever since I was a little kid and when I was a teenager I had two Red-Eared Slider turtles. I wanted a Sulcata Tortise for years now but didnt have the space nor means to take care of one property until now and thats when I decided it was time.

We picked up the baby Sulcata from a store near home called the Roadshow that sells all kinds of reptiles. He/She (we arent sure yet) is 5 months old and is named Bowser. We got a Bowser a wooden tortise house on Amazon and lined the inside with laminate flooring to prevent bactera growing into the wood. We use Repta-Bark and organic potting soil mixed together for the substrate. We also have some sphagnum moss in there, 2 coconut tunnels for hiding, a 150w ceramic heat lamp set at 95 degrees, a UVB, water and food bowels, and temperature/humidity gauges.

The first day Bowser seemed a bit shy but he is starting to get more comfortable and moving around in his new environment. The only odd thing I have noticed about Bowser is sometimes he will make a clicking noise with his beak. I'm not really sure what that is all about, but he is still eating and pooping regularly. So far all we have managed to get him to eat his carrot tops, dandelion greens, cactus, and lettuce. He also purchased some Mazuri feed but he wont touch it. We also sprinkle calcium on his food when he eats. Looking forward to being a part of the tortise community!

Attached Files:

2. Mizcreant

Mizcreant Well-Known Member Tortoise Club

Cincinnati, OH
    (These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    Congrats! Make sure you monitor the humidity levels closely (northward or 80%) and give it daily soaks for 20-30 minutes. Most pet stores are notorious for housing them in dry conditions.
  3. MPappagallo

MPappagallo Active Member

Myrtle Beach, SC
    Bowser is a cutie! I have two baby sulcatas and they are loads of fun! Best of luck to you!
  4. catnipbowser0810

Haslett MI
  5. Cheryl Hills

Cheryl Hills Well-Known Member

Youngstown, Ohio
    Welcome to the forum. Just so you know. He only should have the calcium a couple times a week, not every day. You can overload them on calcium.
  6. Cheryl Hills

Cheryl Hills Well-Known Member

Youngstown, Ohio
    Check out our species specific section.we have care sheets posted at the top that will answer your questions. Good luck
  7. catnipbowser0810

Haslett MI
    Okay I will keep that in mind. Thank you