HELP ! I’d this usual in a sulcata baby ?

zeus6626

Location (City and/or State)
hyderabad
Hey guys , my sulcata baby is missing some toe nails . I have read something about a disease starting with letter A , I just can’t find that thread . Is he suffering from it? Pls help

He is eating well , pooping well
I got him 3 weeks ago
I got him at 67g , he is 73g today.

Attachments

• IMG_9140.jpeg
    IMG_9140.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_9139.jpeg
    IMG_9139.jpeg
    953.3 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_9138.jpeg
    IMG_9138.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_9137.jpeg
    IMG_9137.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_9136.jpeg
    IMG_9136.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_9135.jpeg
    IMG_9135.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
Any idea how the nails came off? Is there a wound left for any of them? They all look healed from the picture. Strange nonetheless. Unsure about the disease you mentioned. Do you remember anything else about it

zeus6626

hyderabad
Any idea how the nails came off? Is there a wound left for any of them? They all look healed from the picture. Strange nonetheless. Unsure about the disease you mentioned. Do you remember anything else about it
Thanks @Josh , I have actually seen one of the nails in his enclosure , but no blood or wound though. Yes I found the name of the disease *Austwickia* . Is he suffering from this disease? Sadly I’m from India , there is only one exotic vet in the country which is 3000km away from me , and from the reviews I have seen that there are not very professional aswell .

Reactions: Ink

zeus6626

hyderabad

dd33

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Florida
This looks very much like Austwickia. Peeling skin on the head, missing nails and leg scales, patchy looking skin.
This is highly likely to spread to your other tortoise. You need to handle them both with disposable gloves now. Anything that comes in contact with the tortoise should be cleaned with an ammonia based sanitizer, or possibly high strength peroxide (minimum 6%).

Was your other tortoise from the same vendor? Were these tortoises bred in India or were they imported? Tortoises with this disease are being exported from the US.

@turtlesteve has some experience with treating this disease. If it were me, I would euthanize it before it suffers the miserable death of the rest of its body parts decaying and falling off.

zeus6626

hyderabad
This looks very much like Austwickia. Peeling skin on the head, missing nails and leg scales, patchy looking skin.
This is highly likely to spread to your other tortoise. You need to handle them both with disposable gloves now. Anything that comes in contact with the tortoise should be cleaned with an ammonia based sanitizer, or possibly high strength peroxide (minimum 6%).

Was your other tortoise from the same vendor? Were these tortoises bred in India or were they imported? Tortoises with this disease are being exported from the US.

@turtlesteve has some experience with treating this disease. If it were me, I would euthanize it before it suffers the miserable death of the rest of its body parts decaying and falling off.
Ahhh mannnnn !😭😭😭 . Yes they are from the same breeder . I think they have been imported from Thailand.

It doesn’t have any blisters , can I give it a week time or is it risky ?

dd33

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Florida
Ahhh mannnnn !😭😭😭 . Yes they are from the same breeder . I think they have been imported from Thailand.

If they are from the same breeder and vendor they probably both have it. You should still keep them separate for now and be very careful about cross contamination.

You can wait as long as you want, or you can also experiment with the treatment protocol that Turtlesteve discussed in one of his threads. This is a particularly nasty disease with a miserable looking death. It is also very dangerous to any other reptiles you may have in your area if these tortoises go outside at all.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA

I would not jump to euthanizing it. There has been some that have lived with it. Just keep seperate and wash hands before handling anything from one to the other. Don't share anything between them.
Euthanizing should be last resort and that's if things get worse.
Hopefully turtleSteve knows about the treatment/care of those living with it. I believe another member has a thread on it but unfortunately that member is no longer with us.

zeus6626

hyderabad
I would not jump to euthanizing it. There has been some that have lived with it. Just keep seperate and wash hands before handling anything from one to the other. Don't share anything between them.
Euthanizing should be last resort and that's if things get worse.
Hopefully turtleSteve knows about the treatment/care of those living with it. I believe another member has a thread on it but unfortunately that member is no longer with us.
Thank you . I am deeply saddened and really want to try the best I can give him from my side

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Click on the m magnifying glass upper right. A search box will pop up. Type in Austwickia. In the next place you can type a member. Type in mastershake. You will find a bunch of threads/posts on the disease. Search through those to learn more. You can do the same search again and type in member turtleSteve to see what threads/posts come under his name.
Learn all you can from those threads and posts to know what to do and what to look for.
Keep us posted to please.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
Hey guys , my sulcata baby is missing some toe nails . I have read something about a disease starting with letter A , I just can’t find that thread . Is he suffering from it? Pls help

He is eating well , pooping well
I got him 3 weeks ago
I got him at 67g , he is 73g today.

could be what you been told...... but any bacterial or fungal infection in the nail bed will cause this........ soak his feet in chlorhexidine everyday.....timeframe? try a 7-10 days....... 6-7yrs ago i got a turtle missing most of his toenails, she was also put on systemic antibiotics, she was much worse than yours appears....... some of her toenails never came back......

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
This is highly likely to spread to your other tortoise.
This is what I was thinking, just wanted to see what the experts think.

zeus6626

hyderabad
Click on the m magnifying glass upper right. A search box will pop up. Type in Austwickia. In the next place you can type a member. Type in mastershake. You will find a bunch of threads/posts on the disease. Search through those to learn more. You can do the same search again and type in member turtleSteve to see what threads/posts come under his name.
Learn all you can from those threads and posts to know what to do and what to look for.
Keep us posted to please.
Yep, that was what I was doing . I was fully learning from their experiences . Just waiting for @turtlesteve , if he could help me out with the antibiotics and the dosage and the types if I could process