Status
Not open for further replies.

Hauntmom

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Mesa, AZ
I found these little guys in with my two sully's

IMG_5483.jpg

I found out that they are Meal worms, does anyone know if these are bad for the sully's? Should I dump the whole tank to get rid of them all? I guess meal worms grow into these little black beetles so I really don't want them in my house so I should dump it right? It's so gross!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't think those are meal worms. They look like some sort of centipede. They probably came with the substrate you bought. They are not harmful to your tortoise.

68merc

10 Year Member!
Fresno, CA
Bag up the substrate and put it in the freezer overnight. That will kill the bugs and save a $

Hauntmom

5 Year Member
Mesa, AZ
emysemys said:
I don't think those are meal worms. They look like some sort of centipede. They probably came with the substrate you bought. They are not harmful to your tortoise.

The reason I think they are meal worms is then grow up to be darkling beetles and we have seen a bunch of those in the house and I did see one in with the sully's, but it hid before I could get it. The substrate I have is the zoo med eco earth coconut fiber and I've had that in with them for some time and have not seen them before. As long as they aren't going to harm the little ones then I'm ok but I still might dump it cuz I don't want bugs in the house.

l0velesly

10 Year Member!
Lynnwood, WA
I use the same substrate as you. I wouldn't be happy if I find mealworms in there. I'm deathly afraid of worms and bugs. So far I haven't seen any in mine.

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
I agree, not big on bugs either. I would freeze the substrate like 68merc suggested, good idea! I hope you don't find anymore.

Weda737

5 Year Member
NC
Yeah those are baby meal worms, I'd just pick them out as I find them like Laura said, no biggie. I actually raise them for my lizards lol.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
How can you guys see that? I have 20/20 vision and I even enlarged the pic until it got too grainy, and I can't tell what they are.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
LOL Tom, I use to sell bait for fishing for years at one time....and with that pic, those do not look like mealworms (fishing mags) to me....that or my eyesight has completely gone to the worms....LOL :cool:

Weda737

5 Year Member
NC
A lot of people don't see them when they're that small, most are used to seeing the ones sold in cups as pet food. They really start out tiny like that, then grow to what you see in pet stores and bait shops.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Not convinced they are mealies. Look like a soil dwelling nematode. Harmless either way, if you want to kill them either freeze or heat the substrate. However, things like this are what make a bioactive substrate, which is actually a good thing.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Weda737 said:
A lot of people don't see them when they're that small, most are used to seeing the ones sold in cups as pet food. They really start out tiny like that, then grow to what you see in pet stores and bait shops.

I've bred regular meal worms and Supers too. I just can't see the insect in that pic very clearly.

Weda737

5 Year Member
NC
Tom said:
Weda737 said:

I've bred regular meal worms and Supers too. I just can't see the insect in that pic very clearly.
Okay My comment sounded a little bit big headed, not intentional I promise. The pic is pretty fuzzy, it's more by the color, general shape and the, I guess you would call segments of the worm. I could just swear that looks like a little mealy to me. Besides, Tom, I wasn't accusing you of not knowing what you're talking about at all. I've read your posts, you've helped me out with my little guy, I know better than to accuse you of that :p I don't think I was really directing that at anyone actually, call it a fun fact for the people who just haven't had the experience with bait and feeder insects. A little enlightenment is always a good thing. The first time I bred meal worms I had no idea they started that tiny. I opened my tub of oatmeal and it was like a writhing mass but you really had to focus to see what caused it to move, I was a kid then and of course it amazed me. Anyway, just sayin'.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I wasn't offended in the least. I'm just afraid my eyesight is going...:D

Sometimes, I should just type a little more...

Weda737

5 Year Member
NC
Tom said:
I wasn't offended in the least. I'm just afraid my eyesight is going...:D

Sometimes, I should just type a little more...
No biggie, in all honesty, I live in a pretty reptile uneducated area, people here think the black snakes are breeding with copperheads, snakes are slimy, and RES stay the size of a quarter and only live 2 weeks or so. So I tend to come off as arrogant to some. I'd move to Florida if I wasn't so scared of storms, or my cats and dogs getting eaten....

Hauntmom

5 Year Member
Mesa, AZ
Well I'm freezing the dirt tonight. Thank you for all the help. The little ones are not going to be happy about not having any dirt, but I don't want to deal with bugs!

Weda737

5 Year Member
NC
Hauntmom said:
Well I'm freezing the dirt tonight. Thank you for all the help. The little ones are not going to be happy about not having any dirt, but I don't want to deal with bugs!

Freezing won't do any good, they will be lively and squirming the moment they warm up. You may have to bake it. But really, it's just not worth the trouble, they aren't going to infest your dirt as long as you pick them out before they turn into beetles and breed. Anyway, they are very sensitive to heat so pop the dirt in the oven and heat it through. It'll stink like dirt, but no more bugs :p

Status
Not open for further replies.