Help identify species? (Testudinidae)

feralfemale

Location (City and/or State)
Boise, ID
Howdy, I'm new here and hope to not be annoying BUT I have a tortoise that makes me question the species.

'She' was sold as a redtail but, Ive always questioned that. She was from a local chain pet store, they are great people there and I chose to purchase her after she had been there for 8 months.

My other tortoise is a cherry head but other then plasteron color the shaping of the scutes should he the same. Anyway...what the heck is Lou? (If it matters Stanley RF is a year old and Lou I presume is 2 but likely small for her age)

Please see the pics attached20221114_150458.jpg

Attachments

• 20221114_150456.jpg
    20221114_150456.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 3
  • 20221114_150435.jpg
    20221114_150435.jpg
    964 KB · Views: 3
  • 20221114_150430.jpg
    20221114_150430.jpg
    950.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 20221114_150340.jpg
    20221114_150340.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
  • 20221114_150440.jpg
    20221114_150440.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 3

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Just so you know, there's no such thing as a redtail.

feralfemale

Boise, ID
@Yvonne G Mistype, sorry
@ZEROPILOT
Ok, looked up northern and 10-13 would be agreeable :)

Would it be unethical if they bred? Im assuming my redfoot is a male, hopefully hes not but? Would be unethical to have locals breed? I don't have a desire to breed or care for eggs. Thankfully this is only something I would have to deal with years down the road...what most people do with fertile eggs if they dont want to incubate and raise?

feralfemale

Boise, ID
@Yvonne G Mistype, sorry
@ZEROPILOT
Ok, looked up northern and 10-13 would be agreeable :)

Would it be unethical if they bred? Im assuming my redfoot is a male, hopefully hes not but? Would be unethical to have locals breed? I don't have a desire to breed or care for eggs. Thankfully this is only something I would have to deal with years down the road...what most people do with fertile eggs if they dont want to incubate and raise?
...I really should proofread

*presume my cherry head is a male

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Its common to see hybrids because some greedy breeders can get more money for more colorful Redfoot babies. But since you asked, I'd say please don't cross breed them. (different species)
And you'll need to keep them apart. Two of any sex will not work out. However, groups of several can if you have the space for a very large enclosure. Preferably outdoors. It'll help with bullying and agression.
Tortoises are solitary creatures. And even the usually mildly temperatured Redfoot will become ill from the constant stress of having to share a territory with another tortoise.

Last edited:

feralfemale

Boise, ID
Its common to see hybrids because some greedy breeders can get more money for more colorful Redfoot babies. But since you asked, I'd say please don't cross breed them.
And you'll need to keep them apart. Two of any sex will not work out. However, groups of several can if you have the space for a very large enclosure. Preferably outdoors. It'll help with bullying and agression.
Tortoises are solitary creatures. And even the usually mildly temperatured Redfoot will become ill from the constant stress of having to share a territory with another tortoise.
I am totally prepared for that and I knew that was always a possibility as males bully and females often bully during breeding season. I know Im just guessing as far as sex but its fun to do so. Im glad I have many more years before dealing with that.

I will seperate them as soon as I can identify them formally. I dont feel that making money off tortoises is ok, I feel severe guilty for buying Lou from a petstore but...she was "discounted" because she had been there so long. Anyway, justifications, I had a list of them. I asked the manager not to buy any more tortoises to sell and (while it might just be something he said to get me to shut up) he agreed.

Thank you for your thoughts, cander and advise.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Im glad I have many more years before dealing with that.
No. No you don't. Its a problem right now. Tortoises should never be housed in pairs. Not as babies, not as adults. Groups can work, but not pairs.

I dont feel that making money off tortoises is ok, I feel severe guilty for buying Lou from a petstore but...
Why? Why should people not earn money with hard work while taking great care of their animals, and spreading the joy, happiness and love that you now feel for your tortoises? I can't imagine a world without our wonderful pets of all species. That would be awful, and you'd like people to do all that they are doing at a loss or for free? I can understand not stripping the wild and harming the natural world. I can understand being upset with a pet store that is not caring for their animals properly. I cannot understand why you wouldn't want people to earn an honest living while doing right by their animals.

I am currently breeding more than one endangered species. I've invested thousands of dollars in the endeavor and I will only ever do it right. I am literally going to spend millions of dollars on acquiring acreage in the right climate creating a tortoise paradise, and furthering knowledge on tortoise care, breeding, and optimizing the way we do things for them. The ongoing long term expenses are astronomical. Know why I am doing it? Because I absolutely love buying babies that were bred by someone else, raising those babies to adulthood and then experiencing the unimaginable thill and joy of watching their babies hatch. It is an amazing experience beyond compare. There is nothing like it, and it is part of what makes life worth living. I want to share that joy. I want to bring that happiness to others so they can experience the same happiness that I got to experience, and in the process, I am literally saving species from extinction. What on earth could be your objection to this?

Here is some general care info that may help you: