Help idk whats wrong.

zbarry

Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
Hi I'm hoping someone can help me with this cause I have no ideal what it is and its worrying me. I just noticed this like weird scab/excess skin on just the left side of my ornate wood turtles face. I tried getting some of it off with a q tip and it looks like skin to me but I'm not sure why its like that. I've had her since December and since I've got her she's always been lazy and hiding most the time. She doesn't share her enclosure with any other animals. She eats and poops all the time. She usually buries herself in her substrate which is coconut fiber and reptibark. She has a uva uvb lightbulb and a heat lamp too. The last pic is what i got off of her with the q tip, and then in the 2nd and 3rd pic i feel like it looks like a cut kind of but not sure. Hopefully someone knows what is wrong, thanks in advance if u can help.

20200522_192922.jpg20200522_193344.jpg20200522_193410.jpg20200522_193426.jpg

zbarry

Ohio
I also just noticed today that she is blowing like snot bubbles out her noise too. I read that might be due to stress, so idk if its from me messing with her or if she is sick.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
She's injured herself somehow.It looks superficial, however, it's in a hard place for healing because the skin stretches and retracts when she withdraws her head. So you have to keep it soft and don't allow a scab to form. You do this by continually cleaning off the dead tissue and applying antibiotic ointment such as Neosporin.

zbarry

Ohio
She's injured herself somehow.It looks superficial, however, it's in a hard place for healing because the skin stretches and retracts when she withdraws her head. So you have to keep it soft and don't allow a scab to form. You do this by continually cleaning off the dead tissue and applying antibiotic ointment such as Neosporin.
Ok thanks but how would I be able to get her head out all the way to get it off and apply the neosporin. And is neosporin some to use on her?

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Yes, Neosporin is safe. If Yvonne says to use it, you can be sure it's OK. She has rehabbed hundreds of turtles.

As for her head, try holding her on her back. Most of them hate it and stretch their necks out.

If that doesn't work, Yvonne will have another idea.

zbarry

Ohio
Alright I got neosporin on her neck which was a pain and took forever but when I was looking at the area it didn't look like a cut, it looked more like it was irrated.

zbarry

Ohio
Good for you!
Is there any way she's rubbing her neck with her shell?
Or maybe a bug bite.
I mean when I was getting her to poke her head out it didn't seem like it was rubbing againist her shell. She may have been bite by a bug outside cause I have a fenced off area in the yard that I let her walk around in during the day time when its warm.

zbarry

Ohio
Should I leave her in like a box for the night while the neosporin dries up so that way she doesn't get her substrate stuck in the neosporin.