Help! Lost Leopard Tortoise

Feral

Location (City and/or State)
Matthews, NC
My leopard tortoise Moses disappeared from my fenced in yard last Friday (a branch knocked out a part of it and I didn't realize til too late). He's about 12" long, so not exactly hard to spot! I've searched the neighborhood, but unfortunately, my property backs up into 51 acres of woods and trails. I've searched the immediate area several times and walked the trails calling for him. It's rough terrain but in several places it empties into pastures and horse trails. I've posted missing flyers all over the neighborhood and trails, posted on Facebook and Next Door (no sign of Moses but plenty of pics of snapping turtles posted in the comments of a pic of him smh), let Animal Control and the local wildlife conservation center know... I'm at a loss of what to do. I've had several days to dedicate to finding him because of the stay at home order, but that's lifting and I'm heading back to work this weekend.

Does anyone have any other ideas? So far, my attempts to understand tortoise psychology and guess at where he could be have been fruitless.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Let local vets and animal rescues know too.
Look first thing in the mornings when the sun comes out. He will want to warm up from the cooler night.
Good luck and always keep looking. Most are usually found.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
If there are children in the area, get them to help look. Offer a reward of some kind. Kids have found several lost tortoises on this forum.

Also, put out food and water for him. And keep checking the fence. Sometimes they come back and try to get in.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Sorry to hear of the great escape! ☹️ With 51 acres of North Carolina woods & brush to play in & hide & forage you really have an unfortunate uphill task. The one good thing is Summertime heat & humidity are in your favor — so hopefully someone might stumble upon your Leopard.

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
Kids have a knack for finding things for sure! Especially if there is a reward. Definitely let the vets and all that know too like he said. Every avenue helps!

I'm so sorry, this is a horrible situation. I will cross my fingers and hope!

turtlesteve

10 Year Member!
Look in the mornings and after it rains. Focus on tall grass or weed areas, and up against corners, walls, fences.

If you have a dog walk them in that area. When I was a kid our dog would regularly find and dig up hidden box turtles. Might not work for all dogs but worth a shot.

Lindawind

Hendersonville NC
My leopard tortoise Moses disappeared from my fenced in yard last Friday (a branch knocked out a part of it and I didn't realize til too late). He's about 12" long, so not exactly hard to spot! I've searched the neighborhood, but unfortunately, my property backs up into 51 acres of woods and trails. I've searched the immediate area several times and walked the trails calling for him. It's rough terrain but in several places it empties into pastures and horse trails. I've posted missing flyers all over the neighborhood and trails, posted on Facebook and Next Door (no sign of Moses but plenty of pics of snapping turtles posted in the comments of a pic of him smh), let Animal Control and the local wildlife conservation center know... I'm at a loss of what to do. I've had several days to dedicate to finding him because of the stay at home order, but that's lifting and I'm heading back to work this weekend.

Does anyone have any other ideas? So far, my attempts to understand tortoise psychology and guess at where he could be have been fruitless.
We found a leopard tortoise here yesterday, we are in western NC, Henderson County, he's over a foot long. We are in the mountains

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
We found a leopard tortoise here yesterday, we are in western NC, Henderson County, he's over a foot long. We are in the mountains
Fingers crossed there a match and a reunion, there can not be that many leapards on the loose! :tort:😂:tort:

Lindawind

Hendersonville NC
Sorry to hear of the great escape! ☹️ With 51 acres of North Carolina woods & brush to play in & hide & forage you really have an unfortunate uphill task. The one good thing is Summertime heat & humidity are in your favor — so hopefully someone might stumble upon your Leopard.
We found one last weekend mountains of NC, wish this lady would contact me...we would lo've to get it back to her if it's her baby...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The person who started this thread hasn't been back on the Forum since May, 2020. The chances of a leopard tortoise surviving two North Carolina winters outside are slim to none.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
The person who started this thread hasn't been back on the Forum since May, 2020. The chances of a leopard tortoise surviving two North Carolina winters outside are slim to none.
Too bad.

Tjhsst22

Mineral, VA

I know it's been two years, but I was curious if you found Moses? I am in Virginia and am looking for a loving family for my Blanche. She's a Leopard Tort, herp vet confirmed she's female, born 02/02/2015. She's about 14-ish inches long, maybe 12-15 pounds. Pretty face, great smile. You sound like a responsible, loving pet-owner and I thought maybe Moses could use a friend.