Help! please he ate a sock

mannie root

Well Vet said keep doing what we been doing - he looks and acts normal - I guess its possibly i already cleaned up and tossed the offending sock ( it was black) he is eating and running around like a horse again. Fred i loving his new in-ground swimming/ wading pool . and really loving all the watermelon. i now wonder how i am ever gonna get him eating the hay and mazuri again- LOL- i did recover some other interesting items while on poo patrol - a hair tie - and some bits and pieces of plastic that must have come over the fence on the wind.

thank you to all of you for the help and encouragement!

20150929_163137.jpg

Keith D.

Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Nice job on the cement pond, I was going to tell you Walmart is probably out of pops now but you can still get them online and have them site to store. I bought 10 of them when the were on rollback at Walmart for $3 each. Torts are like puppies you gotta check there living area constantly for possible non edible items.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Best of luck with the sock - I had a 13lb iguana who ate a couple of things he should not have, including a sock and he always passed it. Once I had to pull a rather stringy pair of undies out of his behind he went back to not being allowed out unsupervised.

Re: whoever asked about socks showing up on x-rays, you wont see a sock per se, but you would likely see a noticeable blockage with poo and gas backed up behind it.

The fact that he is eating and pooping is good news. Keep an eye on him and if you don't have a vet of choice you might still want to call around and see who CAN xray a 125lb tort in the event that you ever need it.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
what do you plan on doing if nothing comes out?

mannie root

well quite honestly ... it could have come out and got tossed out with the poop the first week .... i was not checking it then and scooped and tossed many... plus it is black and well - you get the picture- lol
He certainly seems all normal again stuffing his face and running back and forth all afternoon

and i did get him soaked in a kiddie pool as well...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
On a large sulcata it could take several weeks to pass, so keep checking. It is not likely to have passed in the first few days after ingestion.

mannie root

Oh yeah. .. been doing that just came back in from soaking him in the kiddie pool

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
if it does not show up in the next couple of weeks will you take him to a vet or just hope and pray for the best?

mannie root

i will likely have to take him to a vet if he gets weird - you know - not poopin or eating or gets lethargic - but as it stands now he looks like he is going full steam
pooped 3 times today and a bunch more during his soak... ate 4 cups of mazuri pellets and a 1/3 of a watermelon and is now out mowing the grass...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Only a two week transit time. That's pretty fast.

Glad he's okay.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
Oh my goodness....this is funny, after the fact if course!

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
Glad the sock came out with no problem. Did you daughter learn to keep her soaks picked up? :D