1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

HELP Russian tortoise shell damage?

Discussion in 'Tortoise Health' started by That_Guy, May 1, 2019.

Help Support Tortoise Forums by donating:

1. That_Guy

That_Guy New Member

Hello everyone! I've owned my Russian tortoise, Ivan, for around 3 years now (he's the first tort I've ever owned).

Maybe 3 weeks ago I noticed that a small spot of his lower shell, on his belly, had an odd reddish-brown color. I assumed it was a small abrasion of some kind, I didn't think much of it and resolved to soak him more regularly.

Today I had him out in the backyard, and I noticed the spot had become larger, and that some kind of flaking seemed to be going on around the spot. I've attached a picture. Could this be shell rot, or is it just an injury that I didn't keep a close enough eye on that he's irritated since then? It seems like the red-brown stuff could be some kind of discharge, or maybe dried blood.

I haven't noticed any big changes in behavior, he seems to be moving/eating fine.

I'm really, really concerned for my little guy, so if anyone has any thoughts or advice (preferably RT owners) I would love to hear it!

Thanks everybody

Attached Files:

2. Jodie

Jodie Well-Known Member 5 Year Member

Location (City and/or State):
    Spokane Valley WA
    (These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    I think it looks like an old injury, and the keratin cover is peeling off. Not an issue. I am sure others with more rehab experience than I will chime in.