Here we go!

Megatron's Mom

Location (City and/or State)
North Little Rock, Arkansas
I figured I would start my own thread to post my progress on Tom's double door night box.

I'm done the with the lid. I worked on it for a few hours for two nights after supper. I might have gone overboard with the screws. I probably could have use about half of what I used.

Started the floor this afternoon. Put some blocks I had from a previous garden. Then used pressure treated 2x4's to raise it up off the ground. This spot tends to retain water more then the rest of the yard. It's also the most level part of the yard. Probably why it retains water. Anyway, I'm hoping it will help keep the tortoises cooler in the summer.

I worked on the floor after supper and of course forgot to take pictures.

@Tom did you attach the treated wood to the floor or just have the house resting on it?

Attachments

• IMG_20240312_154656052_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240312_154656052_HDR.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20240313_153617211_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240313_153617211_HDR.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 9

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
HA! You used those Home Depot deck screws! Those are the best! I love them. I re-use those for multiple projects over many years because they are so strong and last so long.

I don't think you went over board with the screws. You don't want any air gaps letting rain or humidity in-between those layers. This matters even in my dry climate, but its especially important in your climate. Did you run some caulking along the inside where the framing meets the plywood? That is very important to keep moisture out too.

Wood really doesn't rot outdoors here due to the dryness. Because of this, I can just lay the boxes right on the ground. I think this keeps it cooler in summer and warmer in winter. Most of the time I lay three 4 foot pressure treated 2x4s flat and set the box on those. This keeps the box just 1.5 inches off the ground, and seems to also work fine here.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
@Tom what size door should I make for the leopard tortoise? I'm about to cut that part out and was thinking he wouldn't need it as wide.
If you don't have the South African type, a 16x14 inch door should be plenty wide and tall.

Is it a male or female? Is it still growing, or a full size adult?

Megatron's Mom

Well the rain slowed me down but I finished the floor.

Attachments

• IMG_20240315_141605027_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240315_141605027_HDR.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20240315_162643470_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240315_162643470_HDR.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20240315_165251704_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240315_165251704_HDR.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20240315_181057418_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240315_181057418_HDR.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 8

Megatron's Mom

Despite how I messed up with the lid it all fits and looks good. I have to add the hinges still and figure out if the darn thing will open.

Not bad for working while sick. I didn't realize until last night that I was supposed to build the lid inside the 2x4 frame. 🤪

On another note I need to get my tonsils out. I'm covered in a rash that I thought was poison ivy. Doctor said nope not poison ivy. Since I've had it over a month and it's getting worse. So for others don't work while sick. The plans make so much more sense when you can think straight. 😂

Next are the doors. I won't be able to work on it today as it already started sprinkling out.

Attachments

• IMG_20240322_130835788_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240322_130835788_HDR.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 7

Megatron's Mom

My son came over today and secured the hinges to the lid for me. He lifts the lid to test it out. It was perfect, well all for the fact I cannot lift the darn lid on my own. I'm blaming my back. I somehow hurt it, so I will try again later when it is better. Good news is I'm never home alone so I will always have someone to help lift this darn lid. ;)

Reactions: Ink

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
My son came over today and secured the hinges to the lid for me. He lifts the lid to test it out. It was perfect, well all for the fact I cannot lift the darn lid on my own. I'm blaming my back. I somehow hurt it, so I will try again later when it is better. Good news is I'm never home alone so I will always have someone to help lift this darn lid. ;)

Adding gas struts is almost a must for the larger boxes. Even if one can lift the lid, theres no point in making it harder than it needs to be. Here's a thread showing a lid with the gas struts (springs). You might need bigger than used here since your box is bigger.

Megatron's Mom

Adding gas struts is almost a must for the larger boxes. Even if one can lift the lid, theres no point in making it harder than it needs to be. Here's a thread showing a lid with the gas struts (springs). You might need bigger than used here since your box is bigger.

Thank you. I think I will need those.

Megatron's Mom

I found a set on for 100lbs. Also what are your latches to the lid called? I like the idea of locking it down.

Fire_bug80

Arkansas
Despite how I messed up with the lid it all fits and looks good. I have to add the hinges still and figure out if the darn thing will open.

Not bad for working while sick. I didn't realize until last night that I was supposed to build the lid inside the 2x4 frame. 🤪

On another note I need to get my tonsils out. I'm covered in a rash that I thought was poison ivy. Doctor said nope not poison ivy. Since I've had it over a month and it's getting worse. So for others don't work while sick. The plans make so much more sense when you can think straight. 😂

Next are the doors. I won't be able to work on it today as it already started sprinkling out.
Noice

Megatron's Mom

Since my back has me out of commission. I have been thinking about the tortoise yard itself. Would 10x16 be a good start for Bumblebee the leopard tortoise? How high of a sight barrier/wall does he need?

Now for Optimus Prime his yard size is 30x36. How long could I get away with this space? He's only 7 3/4 inches long. Also sight barrier/wall height needed for him?