Herman tortoise

Verno

Location (City and/or State)
Tonypandy
Hi my tortoise is bedding under for days at a time his light is on but he still don’t come up been waking him up after three day I still leave his light on all day but turn it off after five hours if he hasn’t come to the surface because it’s very expensive to leave on if he’s not awake should I wake him up every day ? He’s three years old .

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Is he the type that brumates (hibernates)?

Wishbone

oklahoma city
Mine is doing the same thing. I dig him out every 2 or 3 days. Hes only 1 years old. He soaks and eats really well well and then goes and burroughs back down after. Rinse and Repeat. He sleeps about 22 hours a day. I think they do that until around the 5 year mark.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Welcome to the forum, @Verno .

Please post pictures of your tortoise and his enclosure so as to enable the experts to help you.

Houston
Is this the case for my Burmese Brown, too? That they mostly sleep until they are 5yrs old? He never roams around the yard. He is always hiding/not moving. Every morning, I find him, soak/feed him and let him loose...he always goes back to his hides.

EricW

Houston, TX
Hermann's typically go through brumation. In my home, they never fully went into brumation due to warmer temps and what not, but they would slow down eating, burrowed more, and slept more during the fall/winter. Very calm, lazy days. Then come spring and summer and it seems like they never stop.

Freshcherries

Baltimore MD
My Hermann’s is 5 months old and also spending much more time in her bedroom. She’s always come out for breakfast, but now she skips it.
Should I let her make the decisions, or do I get her up to soak and have a meal every day?