Hermann's pyramiding

calhoun3186

Location (City and/or State)
Texas
Hello all. I'm new to the forum and new to tortoise keeping (keep various reptiles and fish). I recently purchased this Hermann's tortoise and to my untrained eye it looks like his shell is pyramiding. He looked like this when I purchased him and I was unaware of pyramiding and didn't see mention (or I don't remember) in the husbandry articles i read regarding them. I stumbled upon this condition after I found this forum and have already learned more here than anywhere else. Can any confirm if this is what it looks like, or is it more severe than this?

Attachments

• 20220705_151039.jpg
    20220705_151039.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 8

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Hello all. I'm new to the forum and new to tortoise keeping (keep various reptiles and fish). I recently purchased this Hermann's tortoise and to my untrained eye it looks like his shell is pyramiding. He looked like this when I purchased him and I was unaware of pyramiding and didn't see mention (or I don't remember) in the husbandry articles i read regarding them. I stumbled upon this condition after I found this forum and have already learned more here than anywhere else. Can any confirm if this is what it looks like, or is it more severe than this?
You are correct
There is mild/moderate pyramiding there.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Pyramiding is caused by growth in conditions that are too dry., It can be exacerbated by using the wrong lamps too.

This tortoise is much too large for any glass tank, so it is time for a housing upgrade. And contrary to the non-sense you will read online, there is nothing wrong with starting babies in large glass tanks. It does NOT stress them out anymore than opaque walls. The only problem with that type of enclosure is that even huge, expensive, heavy tanks are only good for very small baby tortoises because tortoises need huge enclosures compared to other types of reptiles.

Unfortunately, almost all of the care info online, from pet stores, vets, books and breeders too, is all wrong. Been wrong for decades and most people don't even know it. Here is the correct care info for you:

Your questions are welcome.

calhoun3186

Texas
Thanks for your help and advice Tom. He is currently in a 50 gallon low boy (4ft x 2ft), I was told by the local reptile store it would suffice for his entire life. Would this be fine for during the winter or for a little while while I build an outdoor enclosure?