Homemaid water system

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrishelby

5 Year Member
We have been trying to get the temps right and the humidity to 80%. we are at 105 deg. on the hot side, 85 deg. On the cool side and 75% humidity with the addition of this home made water system. It's just 1/2" PVC with 1/16 holes drilled in placed spots, ( about 25 holes) with a spout on top off the tank to dump water in. It's new but we have been dumping about 2 litters when the humidity gets to 60% and it's like rain in the tank which brings it up to 75%.
We are totally new to sullys so any input would be great. I don't want to do the wrong thing but, this seems to work good. If anyone thinks this could be dangerous, please speak up. Thanks
40acd2f6.jpg

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
So do you mean he gets actual droplets of rain and not mist? How deep is your substrate and what is your substrate? And does this mean that the entire substrate surface gets rained on? And is it like a drip system but manual by you adding the water? Does he have a part of the enclosure that is rain proof...like a patio?:p

chrishelby

5 Year Member
The substrate is coco coir, it's about 4 inches deep. She has 3 places water free. Her humid box, her corner where she sleeps and her cooler side. It's a drip not a mist. It drips on the hot side, where it has been drying out. Here's a pic of the bottom of the tank, the right is the hot side, the basking spot stays dry but it drips all around it. We are now getting moisture on the sides of the tank, but the substrate isn't soaked. Before we had this the humidity was 30% and others said she was starting to pyramid. She is 5-6 months old. I'm hoping this will end that before it's a problem.
0ed9853c.jpg

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
YAY....with the new pic I see the whole pic now :D Good stuff....I wonder if your little ones would appreciate a plant or two somewhere for hiding and a bit more natural feeling???? :p

tjwrnglr

5 Year Member
105 and 85 seem a little too hot. Where did you find these temps?

chrishelby

5 Year Member
I thought I read on here 105 for basking and 80 on the cool side, then 80 over night for a baby? Is that wrong?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I like those temps for a baby. I like your set up too. The only thing I would change is that red bulb. I'd just use a regular incandescent flood during the day time.

Watch your babies behavior. Every situation is different. If she is always under the heat lamps and seldom goes anywhere else, it is likely too cool. If, on the other hand, your tortoise almost never sits under the lamp and avoids that spot entirely it is likely too hot.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
I would like to see a one to two inch layer of coconut bark over the coco coir...it'll make for a dry feel, while actually increasing the humidity level...and likely reduce the chance of shell rot, etc.

chrishelby

5 Year Member
Thanks, I was planning on a final set up of a regular heat lamp on the right with a red 250 right next to it and 1 red 250 on the left with a 4' UVB lamp in the front. The UVB and reg. Spot will be on a day timer and time off at night. When temp starts to fall at night the 2 250 reds will be on a t stat at 85 deg. Over night simulating night temps. It will all be finished with a sheet metal hood. I've just been shifting everything around to get the right placement. I'll look into the bedding, is it something I have to worry about her eating or, is it not a concern? Thanks again. As for where she hangs out, it's always in the hot side. There is a stone under the lamp, if she isn't on that, she is in the corner near there or, in the box. Most of the time she sleeps in the box, the humidity in there is about 85%. really, the only time she goes to the cool side is to eat or just for a walk. The pic is hard to see but the pool is a 1-1/2 " dish with fish tank rocks in it to make it 1/2" deep. The water system has extra holes over it to top it off and any extra just runs over but the stones prevent it from ever being too deep.

Status
Not open for further replies.