How should a comfortable RT behave?

Location (City and/or State)
Iowa
Hello! Just today, I rescued a Russian Tortoise from a Craigslist ad. For the past few years, I've been holding myself back from getting one for a variety of reasons, but this little guy seemed so helpless, and the original owners were only asking for $100 for him, the tank (too small), and some tank items. I've done all my reading and research on what to feed him, what substrate is best, what cage size/type he should have, etc. upon etc. What I really never came across was how a comfortable Russian Tortoise should act like. We basically run a miniature zoo at our house with pets of all kinds, so I know every species acts differently when they're happy. Birds grind their beaks and chirp, cats purr and stretch out, and Ball Pythons sort of just stay still--all under the right conditions of course. I read what some signs of affection from a tortoise could look like, such as them actively following you around or 'asking' for head/neck scratches, but what should a healthy and happy tortoise do when he's alone in his enclosure? For example, it's general knowledge among herpetologists (or general snake lovers) that a content Ball Python can be described as a "breathing rock;" if the temperature, humidity, and lighting are all in good standing with the Ball Python, and he's on a full stomach, he'll sort of just curl up cozily and stay put. Should a content Russian Tortoise do the same? Or does he actively move about his enclosure? Or is it one of those things that's dependent on the personality of the tortoise? I know Ball Pythons and Russian Tortoises are two completely different animals, but I'm using it as an example--as this is my very first tortoise, I have nothing else to go off of!

Thanks for reading and any input you guys have. After lurking here for a while, I can say with certainty you're all very caring and knowledgeable in regard to tortoises. Looking forward to joining the club!

Blastoise

5 Year Member
When healthy and in large cage I’ve noticed they will walk around a lot for a couple hours a day, usually in the morning, eat and then chill for several hours by the lamp. Might walk around a bit more and eat a bit more before digging in for the night a couple hours before nightfall.

If the cage is too small Ive noticed they dont really move around much and just kind of lay in the same spot all day looking depressed.

the only time I had one that got sick I noticed he wasn’t eating and then he stopped coming out at all during the day, had a bad case of pinworms.