Humidity and light info

Luvchunx

Location (City and/or State)
Canada
Hello I have recently got a cherry head around 4 to 5months old, I was told to spray the ground of the enclosure 2 to 3 times a day for humidity, but then I was told by someone else to only spray a section and then mix the substrate. Also I think my lights are to high up and that I should hang them but I'm not sure if then it would be too close I will attach a picture please advise.20171118_093112.jpg 20171118_093112.jpg 20171118_093125.jpg 20171118_093112.jpg 20171118_093125.jpg

MysticCaribou

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sweet Home Chicago
Congratulations on your new tortoise. You need to enclose the sides and top of your habitat in order to obtain the proper humidity. As it is, it's not appropriate for a redfoot. Why do you have two lights?

Luvchunx

Canada
I didn't think the cage would be suitable but the assistant manager at the pet store said it would work as a cheaper alternative to glass. One light is UV and the other is for heat.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I didn't think the cage would be suitable but the assistant manager at the pet store said it would work as a cheaper alternative to glass. One light is UV and the other is for heat.

Redfoits are forest torts. They require low level UVB (a 5.0 tube), high humidity and constant warmth day and night. You need a closed chamber to retain both heat and moisture - not an open sided cage.

Pet stores rarely have any idea how to keep tortoises. They’re in business to sell you things.

The redfoot keepers like @ZEROPILOT and @Anyfoot are good people to make recommendations

I also recommend you read this care guide
http://tortoiselibrary.com/species-information-2/chelonoidis/

Luvchunx

Canada
Thank you for the info I didn't feel like This was right. So would you suggest a 40 gal glass enclosure with a closed top and my bulb is a 13watt for the UV.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
You need an enclosure with the biggest floor area you can get. The volume in gallons means nothing; it could all be height. How much floor space is there?

Luvchunx

Canada
The floor space in the glass enclosure I saw didn't look too big to me was longer than it was wide.

Chizbad

Wilmington, NC
There are many examples of great “closed chamber” enclosures on these forums... in most cases, it’s cheaper to build something that would suit your needs perfectly than to buy an aquarium/tank. My enclosure for example ($70 total)... thanks to these forums my little one seems to thrive in this environment IMG_0124.jpg

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
There are many examples of great “closed chamber” enclosures on these forums... in most cases, it’s cheaper to build something that would suit your needs perfectly than to buy an aquarium/tank. My enclosure for example ($70 total)... thanks to these forums my little one seems to thrive in this environment View attachment 223142
This looks like a fine example.
The lights are INSIDE the enclosure and it is a closed system.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Thank you for the info I didn't feel like This was right. So would you suggest a 40 gal glass enclosure with a closed top and my bulb is a 13watt for the UV.
Do you have a florescent tube or a coiled bulb?
The tubes are what we would collectively recommend.
The coiled bulbs, we caution against.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Pet shops try to sell what they have for sale.
That cage won't be suitable at all.
I use "reptile" aquariums. Because they are larger in diameter and shorter sided than glass aquariums designed for fishes.
I then make a hinged, plexiglass lid with an 18" 5.0 florescent tube light fixture mounted to the underside, so that it is inside the enclosure. Not sitting on top.
I find that with just the heat from the UV lamp and transformer, that the enclosures run about 82 degrees. Perfect. The humidity is retained because it it closed. About 85%.
This is what I do.
You may need to tweak that a bit for your situation.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
This is one currently not being used.
The lamp fixture isn't visible and it's all dry inside.
It's been unneeded now for many months

Attachments

• 1511030340988.jpg
    1511030340988.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 35

Luvchunx

Canada
Thank all you for your help and suggestions, I'm going to try and return what I have now for a glass reptile enclosure hopefully all goes well.

Alex Z

5 Year Member
NYC
Thank all you for your help and suggestions, I'm going to try and return what I have now for a glass reptile enclosure hopefully all goes well.

Your best bet, Build one. Cheaper and you control the environment.