humidity

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Northern California, bay area
Any ideas on how to provide humidity I do live in Arizona. I was also reading about the humidifiers do you suggest I buy one if so what brand? How do I keep the bedding area at 2 different temperatures?
i think humidifiers are kinda a waist of money, you can make a closed chamber enclosure so the humidity is trapped in the enclosure. moisten and pat down the substrate and get a little tuber ware container and cut a hole on the side to make a humid hide. there should be a basking spot with a temp of 95 and a cool side of no lower than 80. whats your cage temps/humidty? are you using a coil bulb? can you post enclosure pics?
have you read these threads?
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/closed-chambers.32333/

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
You will find a lot of good info on this site. I would suggest posting a picture of the enclosure so the members can help you with ideas.

Demi J

i think humidifiers are kinda a waist of money, you can make a closed chamber enclosure so the humidity is trapped in the enclosure. moisten and pat down the substrate and get a little tuber ware container and cut a hole on the side to make a humid hide. there should be a basking spot with a temp of 95 and a cool side of no lower than 80. whats your cage temps/humidty? are you using a coil bulb? can you post enclosure pics?
have you read these threads?
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/closed-chambers.32333/

I don't have a cage yet I will be getting one tomorrow. I am using a coil bulb and I have red light at 50, I'm not sure how to post a picture but I'll figure it out. Unfortunately speedy lives in a tank :/ .

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
I don't have a cage yet I will be getting one tomorrow. I am using a coil bulb and I have red light at 50, I'm not sure how to post a picture but I'll figure it out. Unfortunately speedy lives in a tank :/ .
don't use the coil bulbs they damage torts eyes and make them blind and red lights confuse torts into eating substrate. how big is the tank?

Last edited:

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
the water bowls are flit hazards the tort can easily drown, use a shallow plant saucer and put it half way into the substrate. also moisten the substrate.
they tank is way to small needs to be way bigger, these guys love to explore. read the links i gave you. are as many questions as you need we love questions!

Demi J

Oh my goodness they are so high maintenance! Well I hope he doesn't die :/ . Thank you for your help!

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello and welcome to the TFO from Phx. AZ . Torts rule ! ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1426396430.644134.jpg these are bad they will hurt the torts eyes !ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1426396472.709334.jpg these work for heat but give no light . ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1426396559.605538.jpgthese are great food for your tort . This will get you started .ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1426396647.884079.jpg and this is because I like it . Have a great tort day !

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
They aren't high maintenance, once you get everything set up right it's really very easy to take care of. Do you have any pictures of the Sulcata?just follow the advice on this site and he won't die

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1426396823.886228.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1426396823.886228.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 24

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Tortoises, especially babies, are high maintenance at the beginning. Getting them set up right takes time and research and money. Living in Arizona will help, your tortoise will be able to spend a good deal of time outside after the first year or so. Your type of tortoise is going to get very big very fast. Definitely read the care sheet that was posted earlier. I know it feels overwhelming at first. There may be members of the forum who live close to you that can also help you out. Right now your emphasis needs to be on proper humidity, proper diet, and proper UVB. As well as a large enough enclosure indoor and outdoor to give the tortoise good exercise. Welcome to the forum. Keep asking questions and you'll find all the information you need here.

Demi J

They aren't high maintenance, once you get everything set up right it's really very easy to take care of. Do you have any pictures of the Sulcata?just follow the advice on this site and he won't die

Here is a picture he is very dry

Attachments

• speedy closer.jpg
    speedy closer.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 36

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Are you doing daily soaks? If not definitely start. Lukewarm water up to the point where the top and bottom shell meet, for about 20 minutes.

Demi J

Are you doing daily soaks? If not definitely start. Lukewarm water up to the point where the top and bottom shell meet, for about 20 minutes.

I just recently started, I did take him to the vet and they said everything was fine but he was dehydrated.