Hybrid/integrade questions

jakskillz

Location (City and/or State)
Georgia
Something that I have asked about but have gotten very little information on is the ability for species/subspecies to hybridize. I’m not looking to hybridize any box turtles just curious how close a relation is held between them. So far the info I have is that eastern/three toed/gulf/Florida can all hybridize to create integrades with each other. I’ve heard rumors that sometimes three toeds and western box turtles can hybridize but haven’t found any evidence although their range overlaps a bit. I’ve never heard of an ornate box turtle and any other subspecies creating a hybrid and I’ve even heard talk that threetoeds can be classed as a different species all together. If anyone has any more evidence or data on this topic I’d be very thankful

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
They can all mate. I'e seen integrades of all, including ornates but not as often. I have one that is a 3 toed/gulf coast integrade. This is her.20170726_132337.jpg

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Pat Minx, a Terrapene biologist for at least part of his life explained it to me like this.

In the wild they have behavioral ques and ways of identifying each other and times of year they go about acting on the ques (a secret handshake club). That keeps even sympatric (shared large habitat) species from too much integration. But once in captivity all of those signals that being in nature provide get jumbled.

Intergrades do occur in the wild, but so do sympatric species with very little integration. Evolution is a process that is being greatly perturbed by people.

Hybrids between species that have not crossed paths for many millions of year can happen (Radiated and Redfoot tortoises for example).

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
All Terrapene species and subspecies can successfully produce offspring in any crossing combination if the adults are willing (and they often are).