I am sad and broken; must sell Steve and George

NewTortEnthusiast

Location (City and/or State)
Bloomington, CA
Everyone was positive and supportive before you, Minority2, and enchilada. Everyone understood I am in a horrible spot pertaining to my life, home life, and my tortoises. You two had to be negative and bring up that I believe I am entitled to things and that I shouldn't argue with my parents and that I shouldn't hate my guests. But I do, I do hate my guests, along with the horrible cooperation from my family involving the care of Steve and George, I now have two very unwanted guests that have caused us to go into a financial crisis because they don't have any jobs and don't plan on getting jobs and expect my family to support them indefinitely. Before you say how could I know this, these two 30 year olds are my horrible excuses for cousins who had earlier caused money struggles in their ACTUAL FAMILIES and asked if they could live with us. So yes, I do hate these people, and they truly are lazy horrible people that will mooch of my parents for a very long time because everyone else in my family knows not to give these two money; now my parents are stuck with them and they don't want them going homeless because they absolutely will go homeless otherwise.

I have to sell or give away Steve and George to a member here in a MUCH better situation than I am in.

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
Just a few examples out of many:
https://www.today.com/news/texas-man-walks-15-miles-work-every-day-no-excuses-t108388
https://www.today.com/news/co-workers-buy-car-teen-ups-employee-who-walks-10-t108762

Take this as a lesson in life. Don't make hasty decision with money unless you're able to fully support yourself in case of any crisis and or emergencies.

I'm not replying to rub salt on your wounds. I'm merely suggesting that there is a reason why your parent has offered their home to these people. Whatever their reasons are, you should honor it and try to support your parents during these troubled times. Consider what they're going through.

You're not the only person that has gone through these circumstances. Many of us, myself included, have sacrificed plenty for a family member. You're simply too fixated on the negatives to find other avenues or options on fixing your current problems.

You're still young. There's going to be other tortoises in the future. Your life is nowhere near over.

You want more freedom? Easy money? You can always join the military.

NewTortEnthusiast

Bloomington, CA
I can't keep my tortoises anymore. I am angry, borderline lazy homeless people living in my home. And I was able to support my tortoises before these people moved in.

I would really love it if someone one of these days could finally help me, because I do not want to sell or give Steve and George to some nasty little kid who will probably lose them in their yards and get eaten by their dog.

Thank you.

orv

5 Year Member
Aguanga, CA
I truly wish that I could help you, young man. You have an answer for everything, and hatred is in your heart. You can wallow in self pity, or you can look up and initiate change: are there no lawns to be mowed in your area? How about painting houses? Still no job? Find a volunteer position that you can walk to. I know that work is available to one who has the initiative to find or make it. Now get out there and use your God given abilities and lead a grateful life! Lead, follow, or get out of the way.

NewTortEnthusiast

Bloomington, CA
I truly wish that I could help you, young man. You have an answer for everything, and hatred is in your heart. You can wallow in self pity, or you can look up and initiate change: are there no lawns to be mowed in your area? How about painting houses? Still no job? Find a volunteer position that you can walk to. I know that work is available to one who has the initiative to find or make it. Now get out there and use your God given abilities and lead a grateful life! Lead, follow, or get out of the way.

I live in a Hispanic community. Everything you can possibly imagine “kids doing work for their neighbors for money” is done by the homeowners themselves. I am waiting for almost a year to finally get my first beat up car so I can get a real job. It’s hard and I’m stuck. My tortoises have brought me more trouble than originally anticipated, and it wasn’t even my fault, the money I believed was there isn’t there anymore.

I’m thinking of giving Steve and George to the first person near me that wants them. My parents now want me to get rid of them and I have nowhere else to go but here. Worst case scenario I will sell Steve and George to my local pet shop. I know the owner and he takes time and effort to house and care for his animals in the brief time he has them in his possession. That is my absolute worst case scenario and I hope it does not come to that. I am running out of ideas; others I have asked did not want them. I’m hopeless and am waiting for someone to step forward to take them because everything is just bad.

enchilada

5 Year Member
Newport Beach CA
Be “resourceful “ . You already got near perfect weather for tortoise, food and housing for them can be achieved without spending $$ if you spend some time and brain power .

Try answer these questions, I may be able to help
1) do you have a backyard in your house ?
2) if you don’t have backyard , Can you get sunshine in your bedroom for more than 4 hours a day ? What’s the average room temperature in the winter ?

3) does any of your neighbors grow fruits,vegetables or any edible plants ?

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hi there. I feel like I can't move away from this thread, and your problems have really touched me. Just a few thoughts.
There seem to be two sets of opinions here about you: (1) you are unfortunate and in need of help in a bad situation and (2) you are young and healthy and should support your parents and stop being selfish and full of hate.

I think kind of between those two opinions/outlooks. I feel very sorry about your situation, and living in a third world country (Jamaica) I have seen a great deal of poverty and suffering among young people who grew up resentful of their parents, hating and blaming others all the way.
Most of those young people ended up on the streets with gangs and weapons, some are already dead.
But a few of them managed to turn around their situations with practically nothing and make it into a victory, and have emerged from their despair and are doing very well and are happy and independent! And the really good part of everything I am saying is that I can see in you right now, the spirit and the intelligence that was there all along in those few young people who did make it out OK! You are one of the few, not one of the many.

I am old now and I know it's hard when you are so young, to look into the future and have a vision of yourself in a really good life when your present life sucks! But it's there, that good life, with all your pets and people who respect you all around you. It's there, young man, so hold it right there and start moving towards it. Let go of your hate, your bitterness, grin and bear it and do everything you can right now to help your parents who are in a terrible situation and probably feel very sorry and guilty because they love you so very much and want the best for you!

So how is that for a "motivational speech"? I really mean it, and I really hope it may help you to take that big step on the way to your good life!

Hang in there, nice and tight. And do your best for Steve and George too, it can be OK, it's up to you.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
This hatred you have is going to eat you up inside. Tell yourself it is not forever. Have you looked into doing tutoring at school? It's not a lot of hours or money but it is something.

EdMurphy

Minnesota
Don't give up so easily, You're only on year 2 and you signed on for a lifetime. There's going to be many many more challenges in caring for these guys over the next several decades. This time it's your parents, next time the landlord, the neighbor, schooling, your job, your family, $$$, the list goes on and on. My point is your a younger person at one of the first hurdles, over time there are going to many changes in your life that you'll have to deal with and thats hard enough, you're going to need to dig deep inside yourself with 2 large tortoise to care for. Now, sometimes life sucks, get over it, it seems like you have the personality to pull this off so get busy networking and put a plan in together. There are a lot of family trees that have this branch, don't be angry at your folks for being good people.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Am terribly sorry you're in such a "trap", and I only wish I could help.

If you need to talk, I am all "listening ears" as I for one know what it means when one is in trouble and there's nobody around to comfort/console him/her. Please do not hesitate to contact me if you need to talk - I repeat.

And good luck.

NewTortEnthusiast

Bloomington, CA
Thank you all for your kind words, and some of yours' negative. This problem has evolved into my parents wanting me to get rid of Steve and George because of how much stress they are causing me. They do not connect this stress with the stress caused by the guests in any way somehow, believe me. Now I have to give them away. I have argued with them over and over and now they need to go. I will miss them greatly and hope they do get a great new home.

NewTortEnthusiast

Bloomington, CA
I will either track Steve and George down to own once more, or buy different tortoises and name them Steve and George and start over. I have to wait until I get my own job to be able to buy them and house them. My family is no longer supportive of these tortoises by any means. They do not understand the difference in requirements of these tortoises from that of my brother's russian tortoise (which he is caring for completely wrong and my parents and him refuse to accept they are caring for it horribly). I will pursue tortoise keeping later on in life when I have my own place and money. I will most likely leave Tortoise Forum or have my account lay dormant for several years until this reality is realized.

Pastel Tortie

North Florida
You are such a talented writer, and communicate in writing extremely well. You know as well as any of us that the greatest stories are the ones where the protagonist has the most to overcome. Even in this day and age (and possibly more so), always remember that the pen is mightier than the sword.

You have an amazing, incredible story to tell, and it's only just beginning. Look at how many of us have been emotionally invested in your story.

You may be able to excise some of those demons by pouring all of those emotions and details into your writing... Commit them to the page, and free up more of that valuable cranial real estate of yours. As a writer, you have the power to pour it out onto the page, and you have the power to put it on the shelf.

Much like making a list... As soon as you transfer the memory to words on the page, it gives your brain permission to forget it... or at least to no longer have to hold onto it or remember it.

You have an incredible story in the making. Down the road, you can change names, details, technicalities... and call it fiction. And then people can read your story... and for a while, they can escape their own. :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'm more worried about you than the tortoises. I want to give you two points to ponder. These two points helped me through some real tough times as a boy growing up in poverty in a gang and crime infested neighborhood.

1. Within every man there are two wolves. There is a good wolf and a bad wolf, and they are constantly fighting for control and dominance. Do you know which one will win? Whichever one you feed…

2. As children, we are victims of the circumstances we are born into. Some people are born into loving homes with plenty of money and in a nice neighborhood, and some people are born into poverty and broken homes with dysfunctional people. But once you reach adulthood, you are responsible for what happens to you and what you do, or don't do. When you are a little kid, its not your fault. When a person grows up and blames their shi*ty childhood and all the bad stuff that happened for all the problems in their life, that is just bad character and poor excuses for bad behavior.

You have the power to rise above the darkness that is consuming you right now. Or you can wallow in it, revel in it, and descend deeper into the dark. I have felt the despair, anger, frustration and hopelessness that you are feeling. What I want you to know and hold on to is that these days will end. Better days will come. You need to put yourself into the right mental position to grab onto the good opportunities that will be coming your way. Make it happen, or choose to not make it happen. Prevail or fail at life. It is your choice. I hope you choose well.

orv

5 Year Member
Aguanga, CA
I'm more worried about you than the tortoises. I want to give you two points to ponder. These two points helped me through some real tough times as a boy growing up in poverty in a gang and crime infested neighborhood.

1. Within every man there are two wolves. There is a good wolf and a bad wolf, and they are constantly fighting for control and dominance. Do you know which one will win? Whichever one you feed…

2. As children, we are victims of the circumstances we are born into. Some people are born into loving homes with plenty of money and in a nice neighborhood, and some people are born into poverty and broken homes with dysfunctional people. But once you reach adulthood, you are responsible for what happens to you and what you do, or don't do. When you are a little kid, its not your fault. When a person grows up and blames their shi*ty childhood and all the bad stuff that happened for all the problems in their life, that is just bad character and poor excuses for bad behavior.

You have the power to rise above the darkness that is consuming you right now. Or you can wallow in it, revel in it, and descend deeper into the dark. I have felt the despair, anger, frustration and hopelessness that you are feeling. What I want you to know and hold on to is that these days will end. Better days will come. You need to put yourself into the right mental position to grab onto the good opportunities that will be coming your way. Make it happen, or choose to not make it happen. Prevail or fail at life. It is your choice. I hope you choose well.
TOM: I truly hope that this young man heeds your words, they are right on.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Thank you all for your kind words, and some of yours' negative. This problem has evolved into my parents wanting me to get rid of Steve and George because of how much stress they are causing me. They do not connect this stress with the stress caused by the guests in any way somehow, believe me. Now I have to give them away. I have argued with them over and over and now they need to go. I will miss them greatly and hope they do get a great new home.

Very sorry to have just read the above post.

EdMurphy

Minnesota
I will either track Steve and George down to own once more, or buy different tortoises and name them Steve and George and start over. I have to wait until I get my own job to be able to buy them and house them. My family is no longer supportive of these tortoises by any means. They do not understand the difference in requirements of these tortoises from that of my brother's russian tortoise (which he is caring for completely wrong and my parents and him refuse to accept they are caring for it horribly). I will pursue tortoise keeping later on in life when I have my own place and money. I will most likely leave Tortoise Forum or have my account lay dormant for several years until this reality is realized.

Sorry to read this, my heart goes out to you. I have a good idea of how you feel, I had to give up 2 Amazon parrots that I was very attached to, I had them for 15 years.
Sometimes things happen that you have little control over but don't let it beat you up, life goes on. The bright side is you are young enough that you will have more opportunities in the future. You have made some great connections here with other like minded people, don't feel you have to give that up just because you don't have possession of a tortoise at the moment it still a great place to feed you passion for tortoises till your situation changes.
Good Luck to you