I need advice please!

Levert11

Location (City and/or State)
TN
Recently I cleared out a creek with a beaver dam. The creek rapidly drained to its normal size, unfortunately killing many fish and other creatures. I found a box turtle, not sure what kind stuck in the mud. It’s only about the size of a rubber bouncy ball. I washed it off with bottled water and place it in a container. I’ve put grass and pill bugs inside the container and also water. It hasn’t eaten in a couple hours and I’m beginning to worry about it. I am positive it was stuck in the mud and not just snuggling under it. Any advice on what to feed or how to encourage it to eat? Thanks in advance

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Put it back close to where you found it. They should not be taken from the wild unless injured. It may even be illegal to take them depending on the laws in your state.

Levert11

TN
Put it back close to where you found it. They should not be taken from the wild unless injured. It may even be illegal to take them depending on the laws in your state.
Until I can release it what should I feed it? It’s raining today which means the creek will rise and I’d rather not place him near it until it’s a dry warm day.

zovick

10 Year Member!
Until I can release it what should I feed it? It’s raining today which means the creek will rise and I’d rather not place him near it until it’s a dry warm day.

Actually Box Turtles are quite active in rainstorms, and it would be fine to let it go while it is raining (maybe even better than when it is hot and dry). If you still want to wait, try feeding it earthworms or nightcrawlers from a bait store if you can't dig them up yourself.