I'm just starting an enclosure for my tortoises

Siobhan Demers

Location (City and/or State)
Globe Arizona
I've just started putting together an enclosure for my tortoises. Just got this much done today. We live in Arizona, in the high desert. So it definitely gets warm here. I decided to use the cinder blocks as they would be easy to move around when I want to enlarge it. I know that I will have to dig a bit to sink the blocks in the ground, as my little one has already started digging in one corner. 20150626_124542-1.jpg 20150626_124603.jpg Also, I intend to use the opening in the cinder blocks to plant edible plants/flowers for my little guys. I was hoping to get input/advice for what else might be needed. The ground is this crushed granite that my landlord had put down some time ago. I don't really like it. Any suggestions on a better substrate for them? I'm worried that it gets too hot for their undersides. I think that I will definitely need a bush/plant for some shade. What would be a good plant that wouldn't poison them?? Also,I'm not entirely sure what kind of tortoises they are. Does anyone recognize them?? 20150626_124522-1.jpg

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
My guessing has a 50/50 ratio of right vs wrong at best.:)
Whatever the species, they are DRY and the shells are deformed because of it.
Give them a nice warm water soak daily until someone with more knowledge can help.

AzAngel

5 Year Member
Queen Creek, Arizona
Hello, I am a new tort momma living in arizona as well. I is REALLY hot right now and my tort was just two small to handle the outside heat so I had to make a temp. Indoor inclosure that he stays in during the day. You have an okay start to your enclosure. They diffinetly need more water. They need one water soaking in warm for about 15 minutes once a day during the summer, maybe twice when it gets over 100. They are getting pyramiding on thier shells due to lack of water. Also, I would scrape away the granite down to the clay soil, then mix the soil with a substrate like coconut fiber. This helps to hold the mostire in the soil and lossens it so they can dig better. I would also wet the soil daily in the morning and provide some more shade. As far as plants go. I love the below website. Tells you all the plans your tort should or souldnt eat. I like your idea of planting in the cinder block holes, I might have to steal that idea. :)

Good luck with your torts :)

http://thetortoisetable.org.uk/site/tortoise_home_1.asp

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Hose down the enclosure, they need serious shade.something like an umbrella is going to give them shade and airflow, aboard over the top would help but wouldn't give as much airflow. If it gets too hot just bring them inside for a while.

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
Welcome to the Forum. There is a lot of valuable information here on the Forum.

I would dig out the crushed granite and put in some top soil that can be purchased at the store or purchased by the truck load. Make sure that there is no fertilizer added if you buy it at the store.

I also would put in an underground burrow as the tortoise definitely needs to escape the intense heat. The shelters you have provided in the enclosure are not going to keep the tortoise cool enough. Babies and young tortoises especially are very suspectible to over-heating. There are different methods of creating an underground burrow and there are some great ideas here on the Forum. Check out Tom's underground burrows here on the Forum; they are great.

Do grape vines grow okay where you live? They provide great shade, are a good food source, and also they look nice You can plant some weed seeds such as the ones from TortoiseSupply.com. That way you tortoise can graze on healthy food.

As stated above, your tortoise needs to be soaked. His water dish needs to be in the shade as out in the sun the water is going to get hot, plus it will evaporate much faster.

I like your idea about planting things in the cinder blocks. It will look nice and also supply the tortoises with food.

How many desert tortoises do you have. I love desert tortoises; they are so personable.

Siobhan Demers

Globe Arizona
Thanks everyone!! I have already put a piece of tin over a corner of the enclosure for better shade. This is a very temporary fix. I will eventually plant some sort of bush/plant to provide shade. I like the idea of the grape vines! I could plant them in the blocks near the fence so they would have a place to spread out. The area slopes down so I think I will use the idea of scraping the granite and using it to help level out the area and then put down dirt. It slopes down enough that the water dishes aren't level enough to stay filled....lol. I am a teacher and a single mom, so summers are very tight! So this enclosure is definitely going to be slow going. But I will get there! I've decided to bring them inside to their aquarium for the hottest parts of the day...the little one looked like he was distressed. I've already started soaking them :)

I actually do have a grassy back yard, but my landlord is pretty obsessive over the grass...lol I had a temporary enclosure in the grass for them using the little picket fences. But the landlord keeps taking them down to mow and then the larger turtle figured out how to climb over the fences!! So once I get the new area leveled I can plant some grass there....I've already found some desert tortoise grass seed at www.desertseedstore.com Does anyone have any experience with this site? Is it good?

Again, Thank you guys sooo much for the input!

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Thanks everyone!! I have already put a piece of tin over a corner of the enclosure for better shade. This is a very temporary fix. I will eventually plant some sort of bush/plant to provide shade. I like the idea of the grape vines! I could plant them in the blocks near the fence so they would have a place to spread out. The area slopes down so I think I will use the idea of scraping the granite and using it to help level out the area and then put down dirt. It slopes down enough that the water dishes aren't level enough to stay filled....lol. I am a teacher and a single mom, so summers are very tight! So this enclosure is definitely going to be slow going. But I will get there! I've decided to bring them inside to their aquarium for the hottest parts of the day...the little one looked like he was distressed. I've already started soaking them :)

I actually do have a grassy back yard, but my landlord is pretty obsessive over the grass...lol I had a temporary enclosure in the grass for them using the little picket fences. But the landlord keeps taking them down to mow and then the larger turtle figured out how to climb over the fences!! So once I get the new area leveled I can plant some grass there....I've already found some desert tortoise grass seed at www.desertseedstore.com Does anyone have any experience with this site? Is it good?

Again, Thank you guys sooo much for the input!
I would use card board but not tin , tin will give off a lot of heat but cardboard will not give off the heat . But it's up to you !