In The ER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Creteloc

5 Year Member
When I woke up I found Chekov covered in blood with a pink grape looking thing coming out of his anus. The vet has him and I am waiting for word but I'm scared to death. It looked like a prolapsed rectum and I just pray he's ok and that I didn't do anything to cause it.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
This poor tortoise has really had a hard time of it. I'm so sorry. Please keep us informed. Where was the blood coming from...the prolapse?

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
good luck.. do you like the Vet?
xray to look for stone? sugar water to shrink prolapse and hopefully get it back inside..

Creteloc

5 Year Member
He is in surgery. The fruit loops and no water caused a bladder infection which caused a bladder prolapse.

laramie

5 Year Member
Scottsdale, AZ
I am so sorry to hear about Chekov, I will keep him and you in my prayers.

Creteloc

5 Year Member
We're out. His little bladder prolapsed again on his way out of anesthesia so he went back in and now has 4 stitches in his bum instead of 1. He's trying really hard to push it out. In fact, you can see a bulge in his tail where he's straining to get it out.

Vet said it's not looking good for him. Problem is he's dehydrated but I can't soak him for 2 days because of the open wound and stitches. I have my phone set to change his water every hour and to make sure he hasn't spilled it. He's not eating either but I'll keep fresh greens in there in case he changes his mind.

I hate that I can't force feed/water him :( Right now I guess we just wait... not my strong point.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Atleast he has a chance. Just think if you had not gotten him. I doubt he would be getting any help to survive.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Ask the vet to show you how to give him fluids through injection. It doesn't have to go into a vein, it can be sub-Q.

Kvoigt

5 Year Member
South Dakota
couldnt you just spray him ever cple hours with a spray bottle? that way you dont soak the stiches? like when you get up to change the water just spritz him a bit? it would help i think? better than nothing?

CLMoss

5 Year Member
Brooklyn, New York
I am so sorry for you and your little RT. I know how bad it feels when one of our pet's are not feeling well. You hang in there. We are all wishing for a full and quick recovery for your little guy.

Take care, Claudia

oscar

10 Year Member!
Illinois
Tanya thoughts and prayers for you and Chekov, hope he is strong enough
to pull through.

Talka

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
You can get a friend to help you hold him and syringe some water into him, like you would with medicine. Would that work?

Status
Not open for further replies.