Incontinence is becoming a huge issue with my dog

JohnnyB65

Location (City and/or State)
Southern CA High Desert
My dog page is having a problem with Incontinence and we’ve tried everything for a year now. I’m just about to order more pills for her, but she hates them and it is such a chore to get her to eat them. We can’t allow her in the house because urine is literally running down her tail and gets sprayed everywhere when she wags it. My patio reeks of urine and now the whole house is starting to smell because of the window fans blowing at night.

It’s so bad that the thought of putting her down has entered my mind. She is a good dog, but I just can’t handle this anymore and I’m sure she is not too happy about it herself. I have a 10 month old granddaughter that spends a lot of time here and I’m worried about the health risks to her because she is crawling around the floor. I take my shoes off when coming in from the patio so I don’t track it around, but I can still smell it.

So I’m looking to buy a different brand of Incontinence Tablets and wanted to hear from others who have had this problem and if they have their own favorite solution to share.

DSCN1969_1_zpsycfwmhbx.jpg

This is my last attempt and I’m desperate.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
@Tom is a very well known dog and animal trainer. He will have some in site I'd imagine for you. She appears to have some wolf perhaps? People typically believe males are territorial more so than male canines. Females can be quite territorial and mark areas just as much and sometimes more than males.

JohnnyB65

Southern CA High Desert
Is she unaltered?
We got her as a rescue dog and they had everything done to her before putting her out for adoption. We don’t even know how old she really is because her teeth were badly decayed when we got her and we’ve had her for 8 to 9 years.

JohnnyB65

Southern CA High Desert
@Tom is a very well known dog and animal trainer. He will have some in site I'd imagine for you. She appears to have some wolf perhaps? People typically believe males are territorial more so than male canines. Females can be quite territorial and mark areas just as much and sometimes more than males.
I told all the kids in the neighborhood that she is a coyote so that none of them will go near my yard. LOL
She is definitely not marking her area because I have to put a oil pan with cat littler under bed to keep the urine from puddling up on the concrete floor.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Spayed female dogs have this problem. My vet gives me Phenylpropanolomine. I started her on one pill a day and have gradually reduced it to a half a pill Mon. Wed. and Fri. This keeps the incontinence under control very well.

(I put the tablet in her food and she doesn't even know she's being medicated)

Last edited:

JohnnyB65

Southern CA High Desert
Spayed female dogs have this problem. My vet gives me Phenylpropanolomine. I started her on one pill a day and have gradually reduced it to a half a pill Mon. Wed. and Fri. This keeps the incontinence under control very well.

(I put the tablet in her food and she doesn't even know she's being medicated)
Thanks Yvonne, I can't remember what the vet gave us now, but I just hate to go there so I'm looking for something over the internet. My dog is so picky that she has to pull apart everything she eats. The only way we can get her to take a pill is by forcing it down her throat. We've tried hiding it in cheese, hot dogs, hamburger, wet dog food and she always some how separates it out.

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
Agree with Yvonne. The simple name of the drug is Proin. It is generally effective in treating " spay incontinence" or age related incontinence.

I have had several female dogs with this issue. My Donerman required Proin and a compounded hormone. The hormone was given 3 times weekly and the Proin twice daily.

Your dog could be on the wrong drug, the wrong dose of the right drug, or need a combo.
Good luck!!

JohnnyB65

Southern CA High Desert
P.S. Only a vet can supply the appropriate drugs.

P.S.S. Please give that cute dog a hug for me :)
Thanks Kathy, I was just about to ask.

Well I was just now looking for something else to buy with the "Resources Canine Incontinence" from Amazon to save shipping.
I guess if I must go to a Vet for the correct stuff, then I need to start looking for a Vet that I trust. My wife has been using the same Vet for probably 20 years because its close and easy. I just don't feel comfortable because of some things that have happened in the past that seemed to me came more out of greed than caring.

Anyway I gave her a bath after it got hot out and moped the concrete patio while my wife washed her bed. It is just such a same because she is just so sweet and don't deserve this. We don't know anything about her life before us, but we believe she was abused.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
As mentioned, the vet is your best answer. You need to take her back and get the right Meds that will work for her. In the mean time, have you tried doggie diapers? Also the pill pockets work really well for getting pills down a dog that can detect everything. I have one of those dogs and she gobbles the pill pockets with no clue. I would start her out on empty pill pockets, so she thinks it's a great treat first. Then when you put the pill in it, squish it together so the entire pill is enclosed. If she loves the treats without the meds inside, she will probably gobble it right up before she can even detect the pill. It helps to throw her off too, by every once in a while, giving her an empty pill pocket as a plain treat. Keeps her thinking they are great. Good luck.

JohnnyB65

Southern CA High Desert
I have bought the pill pockets before, but I haven’t personally used them. I’ll have to talk to my wife about how those worked.

I have not tried the diapers yet, but that might be the perfect thing to add to my Amazon order for the free shipping. I don’t think I’ll use them all the time, but I will need them to take her to the vet. Thanks for reminding me.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Proin worked for about 95% of the dogs that we prescribed it to at the clinic when I worked there - the rest we prescribed the hormones to. Proin tablets are beef flavored and palatable to most dogs.
Your vet will likely want a urine sample to test for infection, kidney function and possible diabetes since these can contribute to or be side effects ts of incontinence. Good luck!

JohnnyB65

Southern CA High Desert
Your vet will likely want a urine sample to test for infection, kidney function and possible diabetes since these can contribute to or be side effects ts of incontinence. Good luck!
Thanks, The tests is what I don't want to do. She has had this problem for a couple of years and already has had plenty of test. I think if there was an infection, it would have shown up by now. Every time we go to our vet she wants xrays and blood tests for almost everything without paying attention to the specific systems. I have to argue about it each and every time.

JohnnyB65

Southern CA High Desert
I finally received all the stuff for my dog and gave her the first dose of "Resources Canine Incontinence". To my surprise she chewed it up and ate it without any fuss at all. :cool: So guess I didn't need the pill pockets after all so I'll store them in case I'll need them later if these pill don't work. This was so easy that I'm praying that this works because of the fight we have to go through with the pills from the Vet.
I also bought her some diapers for when we have to take her in the car.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Good luck. I dealt with this with my (male) dog for about two years before he passed. I ended up walking him at least six times a day. Even carrying him outside and placing him in the grass because he would pee just walking towards the back door.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
My guess is she does not have an infection. She has spay incontinence. Does it often happen when she is at rest? She is old and it is a shame to make her stay outdoors for this. Try the proin, if that doesn't work try the hormone pills. My dog took the hormones as she could not tolerate the proin. As a last resort there are dog diapers you can try so this poor old girl doesn't have to be outside away from her family.

JohnnyB65

Southern CA High Desert
Good luck. I dealt with this with my (male) dog for about two years before he passed. I ended up walking him at least six times a day. Even carrying him outside and placing him in the grass because he would pee just walking towards the back door.
I'm so sorry to hear that, I've had a lot of dogs who I out lived and it was always such a tragedy in my life. I had to have three dogs putt down because of their suffering, but I was lucky that most have passed peacefully in their sleep. One dog was partly blind and lost his hearing so I had to either go outside to carry him back in or if at night I could flash the lights so he would know to come in. I have not had to carry any outside to pee.

JohnnyB65

Southern CA High Desert
My guess is she does not have an infection. She has spay incontinence. Does it often happen when she is at rest? She is old and it is a shame to make her stay outdoors for this. Try the proin, if that doesn't work try the hormone pills. My dog took the hormones as she could not tolerate the proin. As a last resort there are dog diapers you can try so this poor old girl doesn't have to be outside away from her family.
Yes she has spay incontinence. She almost died the 1st night we had her and I guess she had been spayed within a week or so of us adopting her. She looked well when we brought her home but quickly started to get sick. I was up all night trying to soothe her and keep her warm until the vet was in the next morning. She had an infection and the vet thought she also had kennel sickness. We gave her antibiotics which brought her out of it, but she had a relapse within days of finishing the medicine and we had to start her on some stronger stuff. She hasn't been sick since.
Lucky it is warm outside, but I have to keep her best friend the beagle out as well because I just don't feel right about separating them.
It is not a mater of her not making it out in the yard in time because she just leaks constantly nonstop and she drinks a lot of water. I suppose I could remover her water during the night, but there is no guarantee that she will quit leaking.
Diapers will not work either because she has had loose stool in the last 3 years and needs to go frequently.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I don't mean to scare monger but I would still take her to a vet because it could be something more serious than an infection - such as a growth pressing on her waterworks. One of my sisters had a dog with this many years ago.
Also only a vet can prescribe the right drugs/dose. You could be doing more harm than good by self prescribing.
I hope she is better soon.