introductions

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

timothymac

RE: Welcome to TortoiseForum.org !

Hi,I'm from New Mexico, VP- Member of Rio Grande Turtle and Tortoise Club,currently have a leopard who was a rescue, and 4 russians, 1 is also a rescue. The RGTTC is an excellent club. We rescue and adopted (to good homes) all types of chelonians. It's sad to see the shape some of the critters are in when we recieve them. Looking forward to using the forum for information.

cgorman1984

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member

Hello,

My name is Chandra and I am the proud new owner of a Russian Tortoise. His previous owner could not care for him properly, so I thought I would give it a shot. My boyfriend and I have named him Toka. I hope to learn a lot from here, because I have millions of questions...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA

cgorman1984 said:
Hello,
My name is Chandra and I am the proud new owner of a Russian Tortoise.

Hi Chandra and welcome to the forum.

Yvonne

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Southern California

timothymac said:
Hi,I'm from New Mexico, VP- Member of Rio Grande Turtle and Tortoise Club,currently have a leopard who was a rescue, and 4 russians, 1 is also a rescue. The RGTTC is an excellent club. We rescue and adopted (to good homes) all types of chelonians. It's sad to see the shape some of the critters are in when we recieve them. Looking forward to using the forum for information.

Hey Tim, Welcome!

I am the adoption chairperson of the California Turtle and Tortoise Club Valley Chapter, www.tortoise.org.

I do the adoptions and rehoming as well. I know exactly what you are talking about.

Thank you for joining this site!

agranny4

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
B'ham, Al.

I wanted to let you know that I have enjoyed this site since I found it a few weeks ago. I to have not got my first tort yet but I know thanks to the contacts that I have made here I will be well prepared for the time I bring my first of many home.

I want to say I have been slow on replying to the new folks and even talking to the ones that I have been due to being sick with pneumonia. This is the first day in 2 weeks that I have even felt like trying to post. Boy have I missed it to.

I know that you will find contacts that will benefit you and your knew torts. Enjoy them and they will love you so much I know.

IN CHRIST
Donna -- agranny4
Ecc.3

bacaraj said:
Hi I just joined looking forward to getting one or two Red Foot Tortoises this weekend at the Louisiana Reptile and Exotic Expo. .. but have been researching the Red Foots for about 3 months now. I recently finished building the enclosure to hold my future torts and would love to share pictures of it in the appropriate thread.

One of the very best redfoot sites is:

turtletary.com/

Be sure to go there and surf around the site.

Yvonne

agranny4

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
B'ham, Al.

clippergirl said:
Redfoot torts are affectionate, smart and very animated.
I have had mine for a year now and they are still babies and we love them to bits here.
One of mine is having an EYe issue and I was wondering where I should post it. I did do one post on it, can't find that and don't know if anyone even responded to it. : ) Can I post a pic of my baby and her eye here ???

Clippergirl

I wanted to just say Welcome. I have been under the weather with pneumonia and have not felt like being on computer at all.

You and I bothe came on this forum in May and I want you to know that I have enjoyed all the info. that has been given to me and the contacts that I have made. I do not share my home with a tort yet and getting sick has slowed things down but People from the forum that knew I had gotten sick has stayed in contact and I found that so nice.

Enjoy yours for many years to come again great to have you

IN CHRIST
Donna -- agranny4
Ecc.3

chelonologist

10 Year Member!
Redlands, California

Hi Josh and other TortoiseForum.org members,

This is a great site and I can't believe it took me this long to find it! Kudos to Josh for putting this discussion together. Per Josh's request, here's a little about me:

I'm a wildlife biologist who specializes in the endangered species act, population ecology, herpetology, and the study of turtles and tortoises. I've studied endangered yellow mud turtles in Illinois and Missouri, gopher tortoises in Mississippi, and I'm currently working with desert tortoises in the Mojave Desert of California. In my personal life, I enjoy keeping captive bred reptiles and amphibians, including my favorites - turtles and tortoises. My favorites are wood turtles (Glyptemys), box turtles, desert tortoises, and tortoises of the genus Testudo. I'm currently seriously considering working with captive radiated tortoises as well. I also enjoy wildlife photography, and you can check out my photos by accessing the links through my website (on my profile page).

I look forward to interacting with you all, and sharing our love of tortoises!

Michael
(chelonologist)

Attachments

• IMG_0396a.jpg
    IMG_0396a.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 87

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

chelonologist said:
Hi Josh and other TortoiseForum.org members,

This is a great site and I can't believe it took me this long to find it! Kudos to Josh for putting this discussion together.
Michael
(chelonologist)

Hi Michael and welcome to the forum. This is the first time I've heard the term "chelonologist" You are going to be a welcomed addition to our forum.

Yvonne

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...

Timothymac...Nice to have you among our members. I have heard some good things about your group and to be honest have wished I were adopting some of your wonderful resces.

Chandra...always nice to have another proud Russian caretaker joining us. I am sure you and your bf will do great things for your shelled one.

Michael....wonderful to have you here!

agranny4

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
B'ham, Al.

Jacqui said:
Timothymac...Nice to have you among our members. I have heard some good things about your group and to be honest have wished I were adopting some of your wonderful resces.

Chandra...always nice to have another proud Russian caretaker joining us. I am sure you and your bf will do great things for your shelled one.

Michael....wonderful to have you here!

Hi, great to have new folks joining. I am not yet sharing my home with a tortoise but I am sure that it will not be long. So until that time and after that I am enjoying all you lucky folks that do and gaining great ideas to help have my home ready when my new friend comes to stay

IN CHRIST
Donna agranny4
Ecc.3

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA

welcome to all our newest members! i'm so glad to see people joining from ALL walks of life.

michael, im fascinated by the work you do. i'm about to graduate with an environmental science degree and i'd love nothing more than to get into your line of work!

[email protected]

10 Year Member!

Hello,

My name is Jess. I live in Tacoma washington. I have several different turtles and tortoises. I have a red foot, a sulcata, two three toed box turtles, a musk turtle, a razor back musk, a map turtle, a red ear slider, central american wood turtle, north american wood turtle and an indian star tortoise. I have had my red foot the longest. I got him over 26 years ago.

agranny4

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
B'ham, Al.

jess said:
Hello,

My name is Jess. I live in Tacoma washington. I have several different turtles and tortoises. I have a red foot, a sulcata, two three toed box turtles, a musk turtle, a razor back musk, a map turtle, a red ear slider, central american wood turtle, north american wood turtle and an indian star tortoise. I have had my red foot the longest. I got him over 26 years ago.

I Love to hear about all those babies. I hope that not to long from now my Yard will be like that.

As for the 26 yr long friend, that sounds like my Db. Yel. head Amazon Parrot that we saved 25 yr ago in So. Tx. He had been robed from a nest and He is our longest time dweller. My son and his wife will inherit him and any other long living creature that might be in our home at the time we could not longer care for them. They love the animals like I do.

IN CHRIST
Donna agranny4
Ecc.3

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...

jess said:
Hello,

Jess welcome! Love your assortment of shelled ones! :) 26 yrs is something to be very proud of. Looking forward to reading future posts from you.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA

Welcome to the forum jess. Looking forward to future posts and lots of pics.

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Southern California

jess said:
Hello,

WOW!! I want to see pics of all your aquatic turtles and your star. do you keep them in a pond or large aquarium?

[email protected]

10 Year Member!

I have an indoor pond downstairs that I built that i keep the red ear and the map turtle in. It has a large land area that the box turtles and the central american wood live in. It works out really wel because the wood turtle likes to sit in the shallow pan for the waterfall and the box turtles occasionally get in the water too. I jhave plants in the land area and lots of rocks. I suspended lights from the ceiling for basking. I will have to take some photos and try to load them on here. I think it looks pretty cool. Everyone who comes over loves it. I keep the small musk turtles in a smaller aquarium by the pond. Since they are so small I wanted to be able to keep them in a different enclosure so I know they are eating properly. I have my indian star in a waterland tub downstairs as well. It makes it so easy to care for him because he loves the water and I placed the drain of the tub over a utility sink so I can drain the water daily and refill it. I will try to get some pics on here for you to see. I'm still trying to figure how the site works. I'm not real internet savy. Thanks for the welcome!

agranny4

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
B'ham, Al.

agranny4 said:
jess said:
Hello,

I Love to hear about all those babies. I hope that not to long from now my Yard will be like that.

I know that I am not alone but I can't wait to see the pics. Ok where does that sulcata stay? Could it be like I just told my hubby, anyplace it wants....lol lol :D

IN CHIRST
Donna agranny4
Ecc.3

As for the 26 yr long friend, that sounds like my Db. Yel. head Amazon Parrot that we saved 25 yr ago in So. Tx. He had been robed from a nest and He is our longest time dweller. My son and his wife will inherit him and any other long living creature that might be in our home at the time we could not longer care for them. They love the animals like I do.

IN CHRIST
Donna agranny4
Ecc.3

penny

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member

josh said:
Welcome to TortoiseForum.org. We strive to be the leader in tortoise (and turtle) discussions on the web, covering all topics as they are related to everything from the Cryptodira suborder (thats a fancy way of saying tortoises). Our forums allow for in-depth and specific discussions which can be read by tortoise enthusiasts worldwide!

Register Now (it's free!)

I am Josh. I am the site admin/moderator/what-have-you. I love learning about tortoises and currently care for 2 desert tortoise hatchlings.
Please use this space to introduce yourself (and your tortoises).

Hi, My name's Penny and I live in the UK. Today our family acquired a seven year old rescue Horsfield tortoise called Albert. He seems to be settling in well. Although I thought I'd done loads of research prior to getting him I now find I have lots of questions left to ask so I thought this would be the best forum to join

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...

*waves a very long distance one to the UK* Hi Penny! Glad you decided to join our site. What an exciting time at your house right now, a new tort! Is he your first tortoise? Wonderful to take in a tort needing a new home isn't it?

Status
Not open for further replies.