Its almost time for my temporary tortoises to go home

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I've been fostering 3 RF tortoises for several months. And it's almost time for them to leave.
Soon, there may be nights that they'll need to come inside and I'm not set up for that anymore.
Hopefully their owners will take them back as agreed upon or I'm going to have an issue.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Is it three different owners? They must know the time is coming up. Not a good sign if they don't call!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Good luck - since Yvonne still has a leopard on loan
I'm thinning down my collection in my dotage, and I've sent all my leopards south to my tortoise partner. Since then, all of them have been sold, including the one you're referring to. I tried to contact his owner, but never had any responses to my many emails.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
I'm thinning down my collection in my dotage, and I've sent all my leopards south to my tortoise partner. Since then, all of them have been sold, including the one you're referring to. I tried to contact his owner, but never had any responses to my many emails.

Did Dr Cosmonaut ever reclaim his redfoots?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Did Dr Cosmonaut ever reclaim his redfoots?
No, I was able to contact his mom and she gave them to me. I kept them for a long time but they eventually went to a new home also.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No he didn't...do you know him? I'm so curious as to what happened to him...
He and his wife (partner?) went to a middle eastern country or maybe it was China, I don't remember, doing ministerial stuff and when they got back they weren't in a place where tortoises fit their living arrangements.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Somehow I think I might end up being the "bad guy" when this is all said and done.
No good deed goes unpunished is the truth
They would be barking up the wrong tree if anyone ever tried to tell me something so dasturdly about you.🤔😊 besides that you've supported those poor deserted torts. I'm sure your decisions will be best for them.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
I would try to contact the family via email or text, stating that you are giving them away on whatever date. Their last chance to pick them up. Get a receipt when the tortoises leave, proof that you contacted them before. That is what I would do. At least you found them a good home and ARE being responsible.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I would try to contact the family via email or text, stating that you are giving them away on whatever date. Their last chance to pick them up. Get a receipt when the tortoises leave, proof that you contacted them before. That is what I would do. At least you found them a good home and ARE being responsible.
Oh, they'll show up. Usually crying and with a few rotten mangoes in a bag.
It's not a good situation

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
I understand however, this covers you. It's their fault for not doing the right thing. Just get everything via text or email. You can't change the date. They should be thanking you for you caring for their pets. If they don't come they didn't care enough about them.

When I went out of town for a week ( Ink was a baby) my vet took him. I brought all of his food lights, a smaller enclosure, and written directions (for the staff). I still called every other day to make sure he was doing well and eating. This was a long time ago he was probably 1 year old. That is called caring for your pet. Technology has come along way and there is no excuse not to contact you within your timeline for picking them up.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Thank you caring. It’s sad people abandon their torts.

How old are they?

Great that Ryan is willing to take them in as well.
They didn't abandon them exactly
During COVID the father lost his job. The family lost their house. And then there was a cascade of other unfortunate events.
The father lives in an efficiency after a divorce from the wife that lives in a tiny apartment with the daughter.
They had hoped that in 6 months they'd be able to provide a yard for them again. Or something suitable

Jennpaints

Pasadena, MD
They didn't abandon them exactly
During COVID the father lost his job. The family lost their house. And then there was a cascade of other unfortunate events.
The father lives in an efficiency after a divorce from the wife that lives in a tiny apartment with the daughter.
They had hoped that in 6 months they'd be able to provide a yard for them again. Or something suitable
Oh wow! Sorry to have assumed the worst.