Just Rescued 4 Torts :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

somelofski4

5 Year Member
Hi all! I just recently got 2 sulcatas and a russian tortoise from someone who was not taking care of them. He was keeping them in small storage totes with no lighting, on aquarium rocks, on his front porch. I an trying to get them healthy, and was told this was a good place to get some advice!

My sulcatas are Phineas a 20 pound male, about 5 years old; and Isabella, a 10 pound female, about 3 years old. The ages are estimates from what the guy told us. The female is a lot smaller than the male according to the ages he told us. They are pyramided. They were very skinny when we first got them, but are very plump and happy now :) I have them on vitamins also. Now that the Wisconsin weather is finally warming up my husband is going to be building them an outside pen so they can spend the days soaking the warm sun rays up!

The Russian is Prongs. I have no idea how old he is. His nails were so long he had a hard time walking and his beak was so long he couldn't eat. We got them trimmed and he is happy now :) He was so scared when we first got him, but now he is best buds with my 3 year old. We have to keep him separated from all the others cause he will chase and bite, even the large sulcatas. He will also be getting an outside pen for the warm days.

Any tips for the pyramiding what are the proper food for them, and outside pens?

I hope to learn a lot and thanks for letting me join!

Attachments

• 432136_3398249672225_1149240961_3440588_108205120_n.jpg
    432136_3398249672225_1149240961_3440588_108205120_n.jpg
    262.3 KB · Views: 93

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Somelofski4:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

What would you like us to call you?

Actually, for living in a tub of aquarium gravel, the big guy...Phineas is it? doesn't look too bad. He looks pretty darned good. I'll bet the fellow didn't have him very long. The little one looks way worse.

You can't do anything to change the way the pyramiding looks. Just offer the good food and plenty of warmth and sun shine (or a good UVB bulb) and he'll start looking more healthy.

So glad you were able to rescue these tortoises. And very glad you found us. You will be a welcome addition to our little tortoise-keeping family. :)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Hi and welcome! Glad you got the three of them. Also glad you found us!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
WELCOME :D. Also always have water available for them in a container large enough for them to soak in should they want :D

somelofski4

5 Year Member
I do have a large water pan in there for them and have also been doing like 3 time a week soaks for them. They have a uvb bulb and get natural light as well. I am having a hard time getting them to eat amything other then greens and veggies. Thats all they ate before was iceberg, broccoli, and stuff not good for them. Sometimes they will try Timothy but I will get there.

Amands

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Welcome to the Forum :D and great save....yup, keep offering them what you want them to eat and they will eventually agree.....:D

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome.

For food try grass, leafy greens from the store, chemical free weeds, spineless opuntia cactus pads, mulberry leaves, hibiscus flowers and leaves, rose flowers and leaves, grape vine leaves (but not the grapes), etc... The Russians will likely not ever eat the dry grass hay. They prefer broadleaf weeds to the grasses.

Status
Not open for further replies.