Juvenile or Adult Aldabra

Happheat

Location (City and/or State)
Santa Monica, CA
I have just finished building a new indoor and outdoor enclosure for a rescue. I am willing to give it to a juvenile to adult Aldabra tortoise in need. I am willing to travel anywhere in the continental US for pick up if needed.

Attachments

• IMG_1616.jpeg
    IMG_1616.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1613.jpeg
    IMG_1613.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1614.jpeg
    IMG_1614.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1615.jpeg
    IMG_1615.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You won't likely find one for free. Adults are 5000.00 on up depending on age/size and babies are 1500.00 to 2000.00.
There are a couple for sale in Minnesota but I believe they are even more than 5000.
@ben awes

Happheat

Santa Monica, CA
You won't likely find one for free. Adults are 5000.00 on up depending on age/size and babies are 1500.00 to 2000.00.
There are a couple for sale in Minnesota but I believe they are even more than 5000.
@ben awes
I’m not in a rush. I’ve seen rescues before. If it doesn’t happen, no big deal. A lot of people aren’t able to take them and this space is ready should one be in need.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I’m not in a rush. I’ve seen rescues before. If it doesn’t happen, no big deal. A lot of people aren’t able to take them and this space is ready should one be in need.
I have never seen a rescue Aldabra, but if you think you have, you might want to see if you can find them and see if they ever found a home.
The ones in Minnesota are for sale.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Good luck in your search. The outdoor portion looks lovely. I think the indoor portion is much too small for the tortoise to be confined in for months at a time over winter.

I also noticed the lip of the soaking pool on the uphill side is exposed. Those who keep the giants call those edges "penis removers" or they refer to pools like that as "penectomy pools", because that is what can happen. I'd add some dirt to that area to cover the edge of the concrete there. Just don't want to see a disaster happen.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Good luck in your search. The outdoor portion looks lovely. I think the indoor portion is much too small for the tortoise to be confined in for months at a time over winter.

I also noticed the lip of the soaking pool on the uphill side is exposed. Those who keep the giants call those edges "penis removers" or they refer to pools like that as "penectomy pools", because that is what can happen. I'd add some dirt to that area to cover the edge of the concrete there. Just don't want to see a disaster happen.
Good lord that second paragraph made me shudder😬

Happheat

Santa Monica, CA

The pool is built like that by design. That is the deep end and boulders get installed up to the lip to only allow them entrance through the shallow end.

The indoor enclosure is plenty large enough. 52x25

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The pool is built like that by design. That is the deep end and boulders get installed up to the lip to only allow them entrance through the shallow end.

The indoor enclosure is plenty large enough. 52x25
I'd love to see the pond when it is done. I'm about to start building my own, so I'm paying close attention to the details of those who have already built them.

52 x 25 feet is nowhere near large enough for a giant tortoise to be cooped up for several months in a row every year. That is one of the main reasons why so many zoos have trouble with the giants. They keep them in tiny enclosures.

The indoor picture with the dog standing next to the brick red colored wall and looking at the camera, that is 25 feet across?

Happheat

Santa Monica, CA
I'd love to see the pond when it is done. I'm about to start building my own, so I'm paying close attention to the details of those who have already built them.

52 x 25 feet is nowhere near large enough for a giant tortoise to be cooped up for several months in a row every year. That is one of the main reasons why so many zoos have trouble with the giants. They keep them in tiny enclosures.

The indoor picture with the dog standing next to the brick red colored wall and looking at the camera, that is 25 feet across

You are sorely mistaken. It is plenty large enough. No, that is just a picture of his individual room.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You are sorely mistaken. It is plenty large enough. No, that is just a picture of his individual room.
Am I? How many island giants have you hatched or raised from babies? How many have you kept in small quarters like that long term and observed the results? How many zoos around the country and the world have you toured behind the scenes and talked to the keepers caring for the giants?

I'm not sore, and keeping large tropical reptiles confined in small quarters is the mistake. Many people make that mistake and learn the hard way. Apparently, you wish to join their ranks at the expense of the tortoise that finds its way into your care.

Happheat

Santa Monica, CA
Am I? How many island giants have you hatched or raised from babies? How many have you kept in small quarters like that long term and observed the results? How many
Yes you are. I can see you have sent over 64,000 messages on this forum telling me you are most likely the Karen of these forums giving your unprompted opinion and statements. This post has already veered off topic but should you like to be educated, feel free to start a post under the qualified section. Thank you Thomas.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yes you are. I can see you have sent over 64,000 messages on this forum telling me you are most likely the Karen of these forums giving your unprompted opinion and statements. This post has already veered off topic but should you like to be educated, feel free to start a post under the qualified section. Thank you Thomas.
Did you just move from MI to CA while were were talking? Wow. That was fast.

The guy who thinks he's going to get a free Aldabra is going to educate me about tortoises?

My opinion was not unprompted. You prompted it when you came here looking for a freebie that you were going to house poorly in a totally unsuitable climate. Now you are mad and calling me names because I had the audacity to tell you that a tropical tortoise weighing several hundred pounds shouldn't be housed in a little side room for months on end in a frozen climate? How am I wrong about that? Please educate me. Undo the decades of study and observation that I've put into this subject.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
I understand Tom is telling you something you probably don’t want to hear, but he’s not wrong when it comes to housing a tortoise as large as you’re wanting😕I do love the space you’ve created, but admittedly didn’t think of the fact that the tortoise would need to be housed in the smaller indoor bit for months at a time😣 I’m sure there’s other species that would be so much better suited to the sized space that you’d still find a joy to own🐢💚

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Welcome from Burbank! I'll defer to Tom on sizing and space needed (and penis-ectomies!) but as someone who tracks rescues in the SoCal area somewhat closely I can tell you I have never seen a true rescue Aldabra anywhere around here. Even in those cases where someone wants to "find a good home" they ask thousands. I think I've seen two real Aldabra rescues on this site in the US, one was Jamie S (RIP) and I can't recall where the other was, but it wasn't in SoCal.

That said - Suclatas needing new homes are a dime a dozen here. Contact https://www.tortoise.org/cttc/adoption.html or look on craigslist. If you're willing to go all in a great tortoise space, please use it for those who are in desperate need, rather than wait for one that may never come along... If you don't want a Sulcata, less often there are Leopards in need, but it does happen. CDTs are also in need and CTTC can provide...

I mean look at this poor guy: https://inlandempire.craigslist.org/for/d/temecula-male-salcuta-tortoise/7769840758.html, clearly not had a good upbringing and this person is placing him after 1 day because his dog is going after it.

really no end of torts in need of your lovely space

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Welcome from Burbank! I'll defer to Tom on sizing and space needed (and penis-ectomies!) but as someone who tracks rescues in the SoCal area somewhat closely I can tell you I have never seen a true rescue Aldabra anywhere around here. Even in those cases where someone wants to "find a good home" they ask thousands. I think I've seen two real Aldabra rescues on this site in the US, one was Jamie S (RIP) and I can't recall where the other was, but it wasn't in SoCal.

That said - Suclatas needing new homes are a dime a dozen here. Contact https://www.tortoise.org/cttc/adoption.html or look on craigslist. If you're willing to go all in a great tortoise space, please use it for those who are in desperate need, rather than wait for one that may never come along... If you don't want a Sulcata, less often there are Leopards in need, but it does happen. CDTs are also in need and CTTC can provide...

I mean look at this poor guy: https://inlandempire.craigslist.org/for/d/temecula-male-salcuta-tortoise/7769840758.html, clearly not had a good upbringing and this person is placing him after 1 day because his dog is going after it.

really no end of torts in need of your lovely space
This person is in Michigan not CA.