Keeping Things Interesting...

Status
Not open for further replies.

RTfanatic

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
College Station, TX
I like to keep things interesting in the enclosures, so here's a maze I made outside for the torts. I change it up periodically. They'll usually wander around a while and then get stubborn and try to climb right over a wall. Three of the five can usually do so. Good exercise for them either way.

I also try to give them favored foods in a way that they can work for. Amazing how well they keep the overhanging limbs trimmed...

Attachments

• 100_1653a.JPG
    100_1653a.JPG
    69.4 KB · Views: 106
  • 100_1691a.JPG
    100_1691a.JPG
    53 KB · Views: 82
  • 100_1692a.JPG
    100_1692a.JPG
    52.4 KB · Views: 72
  • 100_1693a.JPG
    100_1693a.JPG
    60.6 KB · Views: 69
  • IMGA0026a.JPG
    IMGA0026a.JPG
    45.9 KB · Views: 69

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
I would think that the maze and changing it up, would be stressful for your torts. Mine seem to like things pretty much the same in their enclosues, when I change things they seem to stress and pace alot. But I do know RT love to climb. Nice looking RT.

RTfanatic

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
College Station, TX
They're used to much more room to roam in the wild, so I think the pacing is really exploring and is much more natural for them. What does seem to stress them is are too many dead ends. They don't really know how to "backtrack", but much like they will wander around the perimeter of their enclosures they seem to like having a path of some kind, like "right-right-right-exit" or something. After all, it's not a trap, but it helps create new territory and more "walls" to follow, which they seem to like as long as it's not transparent.

M

Maggie Cummings

I think the maze is an excellent idea. I have something like that set up in the house for my smaller tortoises who are housebound now due to weather.
I think because they can't walk for miles grazing in my living room I try to give them as much to do as possible..awesome idea!!!

TortGirl

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Great pics! The maze looks awesome. Seems like the torties are enjoying themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.